Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

3M Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Do any of you have the 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film installed on your E60s? If so, about how much did it cost to have installed? If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, there's a brief description here:

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Also, I'm thinking of ordering one of the 3 shades of gray. I don't like the appearance of swirls - is there one color that will show swirls less than others (other than white)?

I'm usually good about hand washing my cars and instructing the dealers not to wash my car when serviced, but inevitably something happens and someone besides me will end up washing/ruining the paint.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Titanium silver will show swirls the least. It also shows dirt less so you can go for a lot longer without washing--the flip side is it's a lot less gratifying to wash & wax! My last car was light silver, and here in northern California (where it hardly ever rains--except for the few months of rainy season we're currently in) I would sometimes go for a month without washing it (just used a California car duster once in a while).

For my 545i I went with silver gray, which is a good compromise between low maintenance and a dark enough color to show off the lines of the car. I like it a lot.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by stream' date='Mar 4 2005, 02:24 PM
Titanium silver will show swirls the least.? It also shows dirt less so you can go for a lot longer without washing--the flip side is it's a lot less gratifying to wash &? wax! ? My last car was light silver, and here in northern California (where it hardly ever rains--except for the few months of rainy season we're currently in) I would sometimes go for a month without washing it (just used a California car duster once in a while).

For my 545i I went with silver gray, which is a good compromise between low maintenance and a dark enough color to show off the lines of the car.? I like it a lot.
[snapback]97237[/snapback]
I'm leaning towards the silver gray for the same reasons you mention, although I like the darker ones a bit better. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi

Does this 3M film actually work? And if you remove it after 3 years on a car, does it leave the paintwork marked in any way???

Thanks a lot

Hobi
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 335d saph blk/saddle Sport loaded! 2005 545 Tit Silver/Black SMG, HUD, PDC, CWP, Shades, Sport/Prem, Sirus, Logic7, Nav, com seats ED 11/19/04 2004 X5 4.4 Oxford Green/beige PDC DSP NAV Com seats DVD ENT, alum running boards, bluetooth retired :thumbup:
Exclamation

I had my dealer do it prior to delivery for $400.00, a decent deal I thought.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

The primary reason for the paint protective films is to protect your paint and headlamps from stone chips on freeways, not hiding the swirls.

They do hide to a certain level but the swirls will still be there after you take it off.

In fact, the films can be scratched themselves during car washes. If you just want to hide swirls, better use a pre-wax cleanser to fill it up. P21S or AIO should do the job well enough. Follow through with a wax.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

I think its a waste of money. It might save you from bugs (which arent hard to get out) but it wont save you from that damn truck in front of you filled with rocks
Old 03-08-2005, 12:24 PM

Red face

Hey that thin layer of plastic CAN help,just like your friend in the pocket(raincoat)
Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 8 2005, 04:24 PM
Hey that thin layer of plastic CAN help,just like your friend in the pocket(raincoat)
[snapback]98722[/snapback]

I spent 5 minutes on your sentence trying to figure out what you meant by that
Old 03-09-2005, 08:41 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by xexyus' date='Mar 8 2005, 10:37 AM
I think its a waste of money.? It might save you from bugs (which arent hard to get out) but it wont save you from that damn truck in front of you filled with rocks?
[snapback]98641[/snapback]
Hope there is room for a little disagreement here. I'm approaching 10,000 miles with only one chip which was self-induced - I actually tore the bra with contact with the end of an aluminum tube in the city's trash container. Other than that, she's clean as a whistle up front. I don't have to worry about getting the bugs off right away before they etch the paint, although I do it anyway.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Protection Film