Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

*** CLEAN WHEELS TIP ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in another thread but I think this deserves its own thread.

The keyword to amazing clean and dirt resistant wheels = sealant.

Sealants can resist way higher temperatures than carnuba waxes (the parafine oils in it will melt quickly and the barrier of protection will melt away therefore) and therefore I recommend the following: (learned this from the guy who details my cars for years now)

The most important thing of good bonding is a good prep of the surface. Wash the wheels and then clayaway dirty particles on the wheels with your claybar & clay lube. Then wash them again to remove any clay residue.

Then, put on some AOI (Klasse All In ONe) and follow the directions on the can. Then repeat with SG (Klasse Sealant Glaze). Both products can be found here

http://www.autogeek.net/was.html

If you want even more protection (and shine) you can top it off with Zaino Z2

All in all this will take some time but trust me this is worth it. Wiping away dirt from your wheels with your sponge was never that easy.

The beauty of all this is that the same routine can be applied on the paint to get an award winning finish (especially with Zaino)!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I agree--using conventional wax on the wheels is a waste of time since it breaks down under the high heat. I've used Rejex on my wheels (and windshield and exhaust tips) on my cars for a few years, with great results.
Rejex

And between washes, I use a California mini duster to quickly remove the brake dust from the wheels:
California Mini Duster
Old 04-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Any recommendations from that autogeek sealant page?

I was thinking either "Poorboy's EX-P Pure Sealant" or "Meguiar?s #21 Synthetic Sealant". Comments?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Apr 5 2005, 08:58 PM
Any recommendations from that autogeek sealant page?

I was thinking either "Poorboy's EX-P Pure Sealant" or "Meguiar?s #21 Synthetic Sealant". Comments?
[snapback]111516[/snapback]
Poorboys wheel sealant (in wheel & tyre section) specifically designed to resit even higher temperatures.

For paint sealants, AIO or EX-P pure sealant topped off with Zaino.

You can always top off with Zaino. Gives another extra layer of protection.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Awesome! Thanks and thanks for the chrome tip in the other thread too!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW535d' date='Mar 29 2005, 08:01 AM
I posted this in another thread but I think this deserves its own thread.?

The keyword to amazing clean and dirt resistant wheels = sealant.

Sealants can resist way higher temperatures than carnuba waxes (the parafine oils in it will melt quickly and the barrier of protection will melt away therefore) and therefore I recommend the following: (learned this from the guy who details my cars for years now)

The most important thing of good bonding is a good prep of the surface. Wash the wheels and then clayaway dirty particles on the wheels with your claybar & clay lube. Then wash them again to remove any clay residue.

Then, put on some AOI (Klasse All In ONe) and follow the directions on the can. Then repeat with SG (Klasse Sealant Glaze). Both products can be found here

http://www.autogeek.net/was.html

If you want even more protection (and shine) you can top it off with Zaino Z2

All in all this will take some time but trust me this is worth it. Wiping away dirt from your wheels with your sponge was never that easy.

The beauty of all this is that the same routine can be applied on the paint to get an award winning finish (especially with Zaino)!
[snapback]108156[/snapback]
At checkout, if you put corvetteforum in the coupon box you save 10% with autogeek. I love that place!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

OOps.. too late now, that's OK though, 10% of $9.95 isn't too much