Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.
View Poll Results: Is your E60 Bought or Leased?
Bought
78.52%
Leased
21.48%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Your car: Bought or Leased?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to a survey of 450 model year 2007 E60 buyers, the split was 30% purchased / 70% leased.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='537995' date='Feb 29 2008, 10:43 PM
As a high milage driver I would get killed in a lease. I need to purchase outright.
Actually, as a dealer recently pointed out on Bimmerfest, leasing may work out in your favor for high mileage. You will know exactly what it will cost and you won't be stuck with a car that has lost a lot of its value due to unusually high mileage. I saw numbers going back and forth and I suppose it could make sense for some. If nothing else, it's predictable.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='537987' date='Feb 29 2008, 09:38 PM
Leasing is more viable if business accounting benefits from easier calculation or reporting of tax write offs.

Generally, in the United States, leasing permits easier ['less expensive"] access to vehicles that are (too) expensive for someone to purchase outright. I don't feel that it is the [easier/cheaper] way of getting a different car every 24-30-36 months. If you run the numbers, leases are one of the least cost-effective means of automobile use/acquisition.
From the numbers I've seen (ignoring business deductions), leasing may indeed be a less expensive option for people who change cars frequently (read: under three years). It's really just an alternative means of financing and yes, the lower payments create an illusion for some buyers that it will cost them less.

However, despite that illusion, knowledgeable buyers can still end up coming out ahead.

In conclusion, if you lease and do factory delivery, the likelihood is that you will come out ahead due to how the lease is calculated.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by NJREDZ06' post='537975' date='Feb 29 2008, 05:50 PM
I bought mine.
+2

I have never made regular car payments in my life, but have had to endure at least a dozen American made company cars over the years.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='538001' date='Feb 29 2008, 07:56 PM
According to a survey of 450 model year 2007 E60 buyers, the split was 30% purchased / 70% leased.
Interesting. The split here is almost reversed. Since only BMW enthusiasts hang out here, I conclude that the majority of enthusiast prefer, or are able to, buy. But why?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by DBU' post='538008' date='Feb 29 2008, 08:12 PM
Interesting. The split here is almost reversed. Since only BMW enthusiasts hang out here, I conclude that the majority of enthusiast prefer, or are able to, buy. But why?
I would have bought, since I keep cars I like for longer than 4 years. But I know there is going to be a new model in 2010 along with diesels and possibly hybrids, so I leased. I am planning to buy my next car.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='538001' date='Feb 29 2008, 09:56 PM
Care to post a link to the survey results or article? Being an analytics person, I need to see data
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I'm averaging 20K+/year on my car. Leasing is definately NOT an option for me
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='537963
this is an international site, and you are missing out a method called PCP. This is a UK method. Essentially, you buy the car, paying approx 2/3 the cost of the car over the term. At the end of the period, you give the car back or pay the remaining balance. (baloon payment). Its not a lease, the car is registered in your name and as far as the law is concerned, you are buying it. You can pay the full balance at any time - which you cant with a lease - its a tied in contract. Its an adapatation of a method called 'hire purchase' in the UK
This method is closer to a lease than you think:

-The actual cost paid over the lease term is approx. 35-45% of the car (basically depreciation over the lease period) give or take depending on your annual milieage limit.

-Although you can't buy the car at any time there is a balloon payment at the end of the lease which is determined at lease signing.

-The car is registered in your name and you do pay taxes and inspection fees - just like a purchase.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='538004' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:00 AM
Actually, as a dealer recently pointed out on Bimmerfest, leasing may work out in your favor for high mileage. You will know exactly what it will cost and you won't be stuck with a car that has lost a lot of its value due to unusually high mileage. I saw numbers going back and forth and I suppose it could make sense for some. If nothing else, it's predictable.
The issue with lease costs are the annual mileage. Almost all manufacturers quote lease prices with 10k - 12k annual miles. If you live in and work in a major city where you don't have to drive often this could work. Live someplace where you have to drive a few miles to do just about anything and you will see that 12k per year is a joke. Based on my experiences, I would say the average annual miles on a car would be between 15k - 20k. Negotiate a lease with a 15k or 20k annual mileage limit and it definitely becomes cheaper in terms of monthly payments to own.

Even with a lower mileage limit, the cost to lease isn't too much less than to own ($100 - $200) or in other words, some people pay alomst as much to lease as I do to own. As it stands, with a lease you are paying off 35% to %45 of the cars value over 3 years compared to 100% over 5-7 years.

I too own my BMW and I'm a bit surprised to see the high percentage of those polled who also own. Every car I've owned was for at least four years. To me its not about how old your car is, but how well you take care of it. Besides - if BMW's are really as good as everyone here says they are then I should have absolutely no problem selling it when I decide to do so.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Members

I tend to keep my cars (on my 4th BMW) for 5 yrs or so, which is roughly in line with BMW releasing new models, so I usually buy them out right and get a better resale value selling it privately later, when it is time to get a new motor. (got another year or two to go on my current one before I change it, yepee ).

Quick Reply: Your car: Bought or Leased?