Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.
View Poll Results: Is your E60 Bought or Leased?
Bought
78.52%
Leased
21.48%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Your car: Bought or Leased?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure there are people like myself that read about the cars people get and wonder if they were bought or leased. Hopefully this can give a better idea of the direction people take! Note that this poll is not about which approach is 'better'...both have pros and cons.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I'm on a 36 month lease...I like the ability to change cars every 36 months
In the end...it doesn't matter financially how you got into your e60, the fact that you get to drive it everyday and call it yours is what's important
Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

You are leaving traditional financing out of the picture with the choices of "bought" or "leased".
Old 02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

this is an international site, and you are missing out a method called PCP. This is a UK method. Essentially, you buy the car, paying approx 2/3 the cost of the car over the term. At the end of the period, you give the car back or pay the remaining balance. (baloon payment). Its not a lease, the car is registered in your name and as far as the law is concerned, you are buying it. You can pay the full balance at any time - which you cant with a lease - its a tied in contract. Its an adapatation of a method called 'hire purchase' in the UK
Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i

I bought mine.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NJREDZ06' post='537975' date='Feb 29 2008, 08:50 PM
I bought mine.
+1
Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Leasing is more viable if business accounting benefits from easier calculation or reporting of tax write offs.

Generally, in the United States, leasing permits easier ['less expensive"] access to vehicles that are (too) expensive for someone to purchase outright. I don't feel that it is the [easier/cheaper] way of getting a different car every 24-30-36 months. If you run the numbers, leases are one of the least cost-effective means of automobile use/acquisition.

Let see what that stirs up!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Based on my history of owning a car for 7-11 years (my current Volvo is 11 years old), buying makes the most sense for me.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Members

Interesting numbers so far!

Based on a couple of the responses, I see that by setting the options to "bought" and "leased" was a bit simplistic. The original intent was to see how many people end up owning their car (regardless of how it was bought) versus how many people lease it for a period of time and then move on to something different. (Ok, some people lease and then buy...they can vote somewhere else! )

I just find I always wonder what people mean when they say they have a new car "on order" or that they just "picked one up". Sometimes it seems the way a person words their post, I would think the Bimmer was bought when in fact it was leased and other times it seems someone may be leasing (already talking of getting something else) but they really bought!

Ok, so this probably isn't the most exciting Poll for most people but it fascinates me for some reason!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

As a high milage driver I would get killed in a lease. I need to purchase outright.

Quick Reply: Your car: Bought or Leased?