Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Why are there so many barely used E60 for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I really find it hard to comprehend why there are so many used E60's for sale. I mean the E60 has only been out for 1 year! There was even one that I read in this board (I don't remember who's), that was bought with just 847 miles.

A quick check on ebay and you'll see that most E60's on sale have not even reached 10K miles.

For those of you who have bought a CPO'ed or used E60, did you bother to find out why the previous owner sold the car? or does anyone care to stipulate a reason?

545i for sale
Old 09-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hey Guys,

don't get me wrong. The only reason I am asking this is because my friend is considering in buying a 530i, but I told him to get a 545i instead. But for budgetary reasons, he can only spend 50-55K. So I recommended to buy an used 545i.

He asked the dealer why their cars were such low mileaged car. The dealer said that its because 6 series were out and people with E60 wanted to step up to it, and the 7 series.

He also asked me the question but I didn't know why either. I mean, I am a very traditional car buyer per se. I buy my car and drive it for 6-8 years before I consider selling it for a new one. I always budget my car payment prudently, knowing exactly how much I can afford, so I don't go over my head.

Just want to clarify.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Some might be demonstration cars...
And I am sure some drivers traded their E60's for E60's that are better equipped...

There are many possible reasons...
Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I don't see any options with this car. If I had this car and saw all the options that I was missing I would sell and buy a new one also.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Some e60's are crap and have too many problems, even if they are fixed under warranty.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Members

my dealer told me that the ones they had with very low miles are because the previous owners wanted to have gps but the cars weren't equipped with pre wiring for nav. so they decided to trade it in for one with since retroffiting the old one would be just as costly as getting a brand new one. which makes sense, ya?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

I don't know if not getting certain options would be reason enough to trade in. We're talking about 5K down the drain plus sales tax (California charges full sales tax. No trade in offsets).

The only option that will make me want to sell the car is if I chose the wrong transmission, and I absolutely can't live with it.

Check out this one. Fully loaded with Nav., and the owner even spend some serious cash on new rims. only 800 miles
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:50 PM
I don't know if not getting certain options would be reason enough to trade in. We're talking about 5K down the drain plus sales tax (California charges full sales tax. No trade in offsets).

The only option that will make me want to sell the car is if I chose the wrong transmission, and I absolutely can't live with it.

Check out this one. Fully loaded with Nav., and the owner even spend some serious cash on new rims. only 800 miles
I wouldn't say it's loaded... It doesn't has the Sport Pgk or comfort seats.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Are the amount of used e60s disproportionate to that of other cars?

I read on RF a buyer you got a mildly used 545 for about 11K under MSRP, CPO'd too. That's a great buy.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

You would be surprised by the many reasons why people trade in nearly new cars. My bro in law recently bought 2 Lexuses, a loaded top of the line sedan (model no. escapes me) and a convertible both barely used from a Mercedes dealer. Evidently there is some crazy, rich guy in town that goes back and forth between the brands every few months. Some peoples needs change, etc.

Quick Reply: Why are there so many barely used E60 for sale?