Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Why are some SA's & Service Managers so Ignorant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

So,

I just got my M5 back today from its 1200 mile service. First off, I waited around for 10 minutes before a single SA or salesperson even said hello to me. In fact, I am not sure anyone actually said hello at any point.

But I digress. As I'm being handed my fob, the idiot SA says, "Your M button works now." I paused for at least 5 seconds in disbelief that he just said what he did.

I responded, "WHAT did you just say?"....more along the lines of "Are you stupid or something?" I proceeded to tell him that my M button was active since day 1 and everyone's M5 has the M button active from day 1. He gets this puzzled and embarrassed look but tries to make excuses, questioning one of the other SA's whether there were changes to the PDI or software....total IDIOTS! So, that makes 2 SA's who didn't have a clue.

I am just hoping the actual people doing the work on the car knew better and actually changed the correct fluids. I leafed through my paperwork, and it was all checked off, so who the hell knows? I know what you are thinking, Rudy....don't say it!

The car feels the same to me, as I expected it would. So many guys on the M5Board make claims as to how much more responsive the car is afterwards...what a crock! These guys just aren't used to revving past 5000 RPM's, and once the restrictions are lifted, they assume the car is faster.....just their foots being heavier I think.

They even did a lousy job washing my car! Oh well, at least that's over. Now it's balls to the wall!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I think the SA meant to say P500 works now after the 1200 mile service is performed or am I misinformed?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='597150' date='Jun 6 2008, 01:42 PM
I think the SA meant to say P500 works now after the 1200 mile service is performed or am I misinformed?
P500 & P500 Sport always worked, and so did the S6 for the SMG shift speeds. Let's not spread more disinformation!

This is GREAT! I just got an email from, all of people, my Service Manager, BMW enthusiast and Head-man-in-charge. It was his reply when I told him how rude and ignorant his SA's are. I didn't expect him to be STUPID either. This changes, my mind for sure, Rudy!!! Off to Bobby Rahal from now on...and I'm not kidding this time!

"The M button indicator always illuminated since the car was new but did not increase engine performance in anyway. Part of the 1200 mile service is to actually activate the button to increase horsepower. Now when you press the button you will have another 100 horsepower at your disposal. Actually if you get the car to a steady cruising speed and press the M button you will feel the car pull harder... Try it, its really cool. Please let me know how you think the car runs now.. I am surprised you felt it was not running that good? Are you lifting off the gas between shifts and where do you have the shift firmness set? Re you driving in the manual or auto mode? The car has a lot of different configurations and I would be happy to have J.J. review with you were to set everything for the best performance..

I apologize that you had to wait 10 min and that you were not acknowledged. We are short handed and everyone is running ragged.. Not trying to make excuses but we have been a man down all week and we are BUSY! Again I apologize."

Are you kidding me?!?!?! This guy couldn't be more wrong!!! It's just plain sad to see the BS SA's AND service managers are spewing. I wonder if they even did what they were supposed to do today. Yikes! And I didn't realize my M button was supposed to "illuminate!" I guess I have a faulty wire somewhere.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Contributors

I then sent him this reply and raked him over the coals:

"It absolutely INCREASED power from Day 1. It would give me whiplash when I'd hit the button. Sorry, but your information is just wrong. This kind of misinformation, as discussed dozens of time on the M5Board, is rampant for some reason at dealerships. Everything worked from Day 1, absolutely. Ask around....you'll see.

The car doesn't run any different as before when I hit the M button. That's because it always worked. You're gonna have to trust me on this one. The car tends to sputter when it has a cold start. Hitting the M button always awakens the engine and ALWAYS gave me the extra 100HP. It's just a plain fact. I never drove in 400HP for more than a week because of how much slower it was in that mode.

I am lifting off between shifts (when I want to) and am aware of exactly how the car works and shifts. I only run in Manual mode and certainly need no refresher course. Everything was set to FULL power: 500HP Sport, Full EDC SPORT, etc...

Check on this info...you will see I am right. The M5board guys GO OFF on this kind of misinformation. I am not meaning to sound patronizing, but your information is just wrong. I wouldn't want others to think the M button doesn't work till 1200. What exactly would cause it to all of the sudden be activated anyway....there was no software, etc. Check it out."

His reply to this:

"I, as well as other dealers, work off of the information given to us by BMW NA. Sorry for the "misinformation". The car is hooked to the computer and confirmed that the 1200 mile service is performed and all of the CBS data is reset. When this is complete the increased horsepower is supposed to be avail. I have driven cars that the button had not done a thing until the service was performed. That is a fact... Possibly it has changed with the newer vehicles. I will be making phone calls to BMW on Monday to get to the bottom of this..."

Blah, Blah, Blah...excuses for ignorance are not acceptable. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-07-2008, 11:19 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

On the new M3's with DCT, some dealers have been mistakenly replacing the DCT fluid with regular MT fluid (wrong kind and causing failures) at the 1200 mi service. The DCT fluid is lifetime. Obviously some don't read the latest memos.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Just as EVERY other walk of life, Good help is hard (if not damned near impossible!) to find!! now go enjoy that ///M Dave!!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='597824' date='Jun 7 2008, 03:31 PM
Just as EVERY other walk of life, Good help is hard (if not damned near impossible!) to find!! now go enjoy that ///M Dave!!
I plan to...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='597163' date='Jun 6 2008, 11:04 AM
P500 & P500 Sport always worked, and so did the S6 for the SMG shift speeds. Let's not spread more disinformation!
Good stuff, Doc!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Dave, I think we should rename this thread " Why are some M5 owners SO high maintenance?"

Glad you got your M5 back in one piece!