Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

When you take you BMW to your dealer for service

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

NOTE...I hope this NEVER happens to you, or me again when we take our BMW's in for warranty and service work at our local BMW dealers! (Be sure to write down your mileage when you drop your BMW's off, and check the mileage of you speedometer against your own written documentation when you get it back)

...TRUE STORY, Last of February 2008, when I took my BMW in for warranty work on my TCU unit replaced, (by warranty) and I paid to have my tires balanced and all 4 wheels align that cost me around: $230.00 last month to BMW South Atlanta in Union City... I always have the Service REP do a quick walk around and see that their is no body damaged, and I also jot down the mileage, (which he said he does too), When I picked it up the next day I found out my BMW 530i (with the aerodynamic BMW OEM M package, and M5 other body parts, 166 rims etc.) had be driven 29.4 miles.

When I brought this to my service advisors attn. and he checked his own BMW service records, and said you know, you are right I am showing your car had been driven 29 miles what you drooped it off for service work yesterday. Then he said well you know that is not uncommon that they had to give it a test run to test it and make sure everything was working properly and smiled. I said yes I understand, but don't you think 29 miles is a little much for this? He paused then said your right let me talk to my manager I will be right back, he cam back and apologized and said my boss and me both think 29 is a little too much for testing purposes for what you brought it in for, and we want to let you have this BMW umbrella as our way of saying were sorry if your willing to accept it? I did not say: "yes" or "no" and took the umbrella when he havded it to me, and I went on to my job at the college where I work. Later that day between classes, I get a phone call that day asking me more about it and was I satisfied with their gift, I said not really because who to say the same thing wont happen again when I come in for service. She said your right, and let me fill your gas tank up, and just bring the receipt and I will get you a check for it.

Well last week I did take my gas receipt in for reimbursement for $54.89 and that is what Premium cost me in Peachtree City, Georgia (30269) @ $3.59 a gallon at chevron. She said well I will have to give this to my boss, and he will send you a $54.89 check in the mail.

Well I got my credit card bill Friday with that BMWs $54.89 gas charge on it to be paid, but I did not receive no check yet from my local Atlanta BMW dealer. but I just wonder what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? And do you think it is fair what their doing for me, and apology, with the free BMW umbrella and free tank of gas, or what do you think is fair for the BMW dealer to do for their loyal customer, if that same thing happened to you and your in excellent condition BMW?

Would you take it to BMW North America admin station, or just take BMW south Atlanta's, apology, and peace offering and hope and pray it don't happen again! But I am reading mine is not an isolated problem and is happening more and more these days when other BMW's e60 series and the real M5s are being taken out for joy rides, stolen when their dropped of for warranty and service work!

This email is a true story that happened to me, and more less "a heads up" for all e60 owners here at the forum, because the very same thing could happened to you, or they could wreck our BMW's, and we need to stick together to make sure if dont happen again...

Thanks is advance!!

R. Eddie Presley
Attached Thumbnails When you take you BMW to your dealer for service-dsc01248.jpg   When you take you BMW to your dealer for service-m5_replica_presley_dsc01253.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Members

29 Miles, nearly 50km is far too much for a test drive...

Quite often repair shops have pickup & delivery vehicles for parts e.t.c, I wonder if those cars were in use and they thought they'd push their luck and run and collect a part or whatever in your vehicle?

Sounds a bit sus to me. I think your safe to take your vehicle there again as long as you were happy with the diagnostics & service actually done on the vehicle, because they know your not going to put up with being mucked about.

Cheers.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

that sucks but not sure I would try to take it much further, just going to frustrate yourself and drive up your blood pressure.........on the other hand your car is sweeeeeet!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='553410' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:14 PM
that sucks but not sure I would try to take it much further, just going to frustrate yourself and drive up your blood pressure.........on the other hand your car is sweeeeeet!
It sure sounds like they wanted to kiss your ass real good over this & make you just go away, however it makes you wonder why they didn't just give you the true reason for the 29 miles and instead tried to "buy you off." It would be nice to get a check for the tank of gas, but I'd still be curious as to what your 29 miles were used for. Personally, had they said, "We had to get some parts, and due to certain circumstances we had only your car available at the time. I apologize and can guarantee you it will never happen again, to you or anyone else again. And let me pay for a free tank of gas and Sally over here can offer you a 'rub and a tug' at no charge." Just kidding on that last part, but honesty ain't in the blood of car dealerships.

I'd say it might be worth one more call to the general manager and then end it. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Had a similar situation when I took my car in. I brought my car in with a little less than 1/2 a tank of gas to check out some rattling from my rear parcel shelf (still not fully resolved). Anyway, 4 days later they tell me my car is ready (rattle less but still there). But my tank was empty. I mentioned this to my SA, he said it was necessary to drive the car around and verify the rattle. I understood, but asked if I could get reimbursed for the gas. They ended up giving me a full tank, but I had to ask for it...
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='553413' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:26 PM
It sure sounds like they wanted to kiss your ass real good over this & make you just go away, however it makes you wonder why they didn't just give you the true reason for the 29 miles and instead tried to "buy you off." It would be nice to get a check for the tank of gas, but I'd still be curious as to what your 29 miles were used for. Personally, had they said, "We had to get some parts, and due to certain circumstances we had only your car available at the time. I apologize and can guarantee you it will never happen again, to you or anyone else again. And let me pay for a free tank of gas and Sally over here can offer you a 'rub and a tug' at no charge." Just kidding on that last part, but honesty ain't in the blood of car dealerships.

I'd say it might be worth one more call to the general manager and then end it. Good luck!

==========================

Thanks and I now what you mean, but I just wished I could trust my BMW dealer not to take our BMW's that we are paying dearly for, to being taken out for their lunch hours, or to their homes for the night, and all they say their testing them out for us... (Yea right! LOL) I just read an article where an real M5 was taking in for service, and was taking out during the night, and wrecked and totaled, and the police officer came to the owners door knocking wanting to know if he knew where his new M5 was at right now?!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

I'm sort of unclear... What do you want them to do - fire someone? Sure 29 miles is excessive for repairs, but what do you want in return? I'm sure they know what really happened, and they got caught. I would like to hope they'll do better in the future, but I wouldn't expect them the admit it.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Members

Good luck getting your check!

I was promised re-imbursement for gas for my VPC delivery from the same dealership (on the sales side). It took over 7 MONTHS before my ED rep finally paid me personally!!!!

Sounds like a learning experience...
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='553423' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:47 PM
I'm sort of unclear... What do you want them to do - fire someone? Sure 29 miles is excessive for repairs, but what do you want in return? I'm sure they know what really happened, and they got caught. I would like to hope they'll do better in the future, but I wouldn't expect them the admit it.
==========================

1) Make sure it NEVER happens again to me or anybody else who bring their Beemers in for service at their shop.

2) an Apology from the owner of the BMW dealership who I bought my BMW from in 4-2004, (Mr. Clay Nalley)

3) Pay for the tank of gas like they said they would do, in a timely matter.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Luckily you didn't find a used condom under rear floor mat

Quick Reply: When you take you BMW to your dealer for service