Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

What to do after CPO warranty expired?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

I have been busy and did not really have time visit the forum since earlier this year. My 2005 545i CPO warranty is going to expired by the end of January 2011. It has around 43,000 miles. Any suggestion of what to do next? I know BMW does not offer any further warranty after the CPO warranty expired. How about aftermarket warranty? Which company to choose and what price? To purchase another 5 is not an option for now if anyone of you would say just get another car...

Also any other major problems I might be facing very soon?

Kevin
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Members

I have read several people have gone with a contract through Chrysler but have never been able to get more info after repeated attempts and internet searches..
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Have you used your CPO warranty much?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Have you used your CPO warranty much?
I would not say a lot but it worth the money...
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

From what I know, V8 E60's are expensive to get warranties for. But if you really want to have a policy, you should definitely go with the most reputable company you can find. From what I know, you should always look for a warranty that is underwritten by a large reputable company. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any specific names, but I think pjinca might know smth about this.

BTW that's some seriously LOW mileage for an '05 car! Good to see you on the forum again too
Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

i would put the $3000 in a savings account. When u need the funds, pull it out from there. To be honest with you, it't NOT that expensive to fix. Plus you have shops that can fix it. For example, Motorcepts can fix your car if anything goes wrong for a lot better price than the dealers.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I went on a trip with one of my Service Advisors and he gave me some insight that I hadn't thought of before. An out of warranty car should cost you about $3000-$4000 per year in repairs/maintenance. That translates to between $250 and about $350 per month. In our case, it's a hell of a lot cheaper then a lease or even a pre-owned purchase. When I looked at it that way it made a lot more sense to me.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Try Mercury Insurance, I recently added an extended warranty through them for my E70! BTW, get the warranty BEFORE your CPO expires or they may not want to sell you a warranty at all!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Years ago I picked up an aftermarket warranty through Fidelity Warranty Services (a member here sold them for a while. Not sure what happened to him, but he no longer does it). When my BMW coverage ended after the 4/50k mark, the Fidelity kicked in. There was a $100 deductible per incident, but in the end it covered over $10k worth of repairs - far more than the $3k used to purchase it. If you can find a reputable one as mentioned, you'll have piece of mind. Unfortunately I'm at 127,000 miles on the ole OD, so no warranty for me beyond my wallet lol.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by v_therussian
From what I know, V8 E60's are expensive to get warranties for.
How much do you think is expensive? A while ago I paid just under $4k for an exclusionary warranty on my wife's V-8 Mercedes Boat that's good for 6years or 72k miles.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ
I went on a trip with one of my Service Advisors and he gave me some insight that I hadn't thought of before. An out of warranty car should cost you about $3000-$4000 per year in repairs/maintenance. That translates to between $250 and about $350 per month. In our case, it's a hell of a lot cheaper then a lease or even a pre-owned purchase. When I looked at it that way it made a lot more sense to me.
Interesting point - if I could expect to spend that much per month, I'd be better off putting tha money toward something newer and with less potential headache.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Years ago I picked up an aftermarket warranty through Fidelity Warranty Services (a member here sold them for a while. Not sure what happened to him, but he no longer does it). When my BMW coverage ended after the 4/50k mark, the Fidelity kicked in. There was a $100 deductible per incident, but in the end it covered over $10k worth of repairs - far more than the $3k used to purchase it. If you can find a reputable one as mentioned, you'll have piece of mind. Unfortunately I'm at 127,000 miles on the ole OD, so no warranty for me beyond my wallet lol.
Glad to hear that since I've read a TON of bad things about FWS. Turns out the warranty on my wife's MB is through them and I braced myself when I took it to the dealer to diagnose an intermittent Check Engine light problem. The SA told me that he never had any problems dealing with them and when he called with the repair estimate they immediately gave an authorization and paid what they were supposed to. However, I'm still not too sure about them.

Quick Reply: What to do after CPO warranty expired?