5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   WHat is CPO really? (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/what-cpo-really-107751/)

jm545i 12-13-2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by tuffluck (Post 1282073)
yeah that sounds viable for sure. however it does seem like if your windows suddenly weren't rolling up and down and they found that the CCC was at fault, they would replace it. if you went in there and said your nav didn't work and they found out it was due to a faulty CCC however, it seems like it would be very easy for them so say sorry, we don't cover that under the CPO. thoughts?

I know you were using it as an example, and in that scenario BMW might do something, but I am pretty sure that body electronics are dealt with by a separate module, and not the CCC. I generally think that on just about anything that would require CCC replacement we're on our own after the new vehicle warranty expires - not that I wouldn't see if either the dealer or BMW would do something for me if it went bad - and most other electronics are pretty reliable and so not a huge worry.

On my car I've got other things I know won't be covered, like the active cruise radar, the HUD, and the active steering system.

tuffluck 12-13-2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1282081)
Yep, that is exactly what happens. And I did contact BMWNA and they said the same thing: it's not covered. What IS covered is the anti-trap on the windows, I had the drivers side replaced under CPO. However, if your windows don;t roll up they will NOT replace the CCC since the CCC has no control over the windows. :thumbsup:

so did you have this happen to you? i'd be curious to know how much BMW charged you.

yeah i was just using a hypothetical example as the windows being the problem. i guess if i knew what the CCC controlled precisely it would have given me an opportunity to present a better example.

pjinca 12-13-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tuffluck (Post 1282098)
so did you have this happen to you? i'd be curious to know how much BMW charged you.

yeah i was just using a hypothetical example as the windows being the problem. i guess if i knew what the CCC controlled precisely it would have given me an opportunity to present a better example.

When my CCC and TCU failed I was quoted $2000 for the CCC repalcement and $1400 for the TCU replacement (both required programming as well). Dealer said it's not covered, even under "good faith" since BMW made changes in Sept of this year to CPO and the dealer's "good faith" programs to restrict them even further. I called BMWNA and they basically said the same thing, all they said was "maybe the dealer would be willing to work with you a little on labor" (they weren't). So I ended up getting the parts used with the same warranty as reman units from BMW (6 months) and taking it to an indy shop for install and programming. Ended up costing me about $1100 for all including the addition of the Aux port for my iPod. :thumbsup:

finski 12-13-2010 01:48 PM

CPO is a test of the dealer's ability to properly inspect and recondition a car and price it appropriately for resale. Some dont do that so well, my car needed in the order of $20,000 work soon after I bought it. Somebody was hurtin but it wasnt me other than the nuisance factor. The one mechanical thing I did pay for (and it took I think 4 visits to determine this source of the 'check engine' light) was the thermostat. The part only was around $390, and their shop rate is $185 per.

tuffluck 12-13-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1282129)
When my CCC and TCU failed I was quoted $2000 for the CCC repalcement and $1400 for the TCU replacement (both required programming as well). Dealer said it's not covered, even under "good faith" since BMW made changes in Sept of this year to CPO and the dealer's "good faith" programs to restrict them even further. I called BMWNA and they basically said the same thing, all they said was "maybe the dealer would be willing to work with you a little on labor" (they weren't). So I ended up getting the parts used with the same warranty as reman units from BMW (6 months) and taking it to an indy shop for install and programming. Ended up costing me about $1100 for all including the addition of the Aux port for my iPod. :thumbsup:

thanks. any reason it went bad? $1,100 is not terrible compared to what it could have been. sorry to hear you went through that though. that is pretty ridiculous of BMW to change a CPO to people who purchased a car with another CPO on it already. seems they could change it for future CPO purchases, but not existing ones. oh well.

ProMed 12-13-2010 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1282003)
CPO sucks, covers only what is LEAST likely to break and then you gotta pay $50 out of pocket to get it fixed.

CPO is basically just a powertrain warranty with a few extra perks. I wouldn't mind finding a separate "electrical only" 3rd party warranty to run along with it.

fatboysam 12-14-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BossHog (Post 1281994)
So I scheduled a service appointment today for my 2008 535i. The car had to be jumped several times within the past week and was giving off the following werror message: "Increased battery discharge." Long story short, I get there and they diagnose that the key fob was left in the car for an extended period of time. I go on to deny that any of this had ever occurred and then I catch myself; I routinely detail my car with the radio on and the fob statys within the ignition, in the engine off position, for long periods of time. That had to have been it. In summation, that car wash/detail cost me $360.95 (battery replacement and install). No one had ever informed be of the consequences of such an action. My bad.

The real concern for me is that my service tech went on to state that since I am approaching 50,000 miles Currently 48,480), then I should consider buying the extended warranty. I said there's no need cause its CPO and he went on to "correct" me. Apparently, the CPO covers next to nothing when I thought I had an additional 2 years and/or 50,000 miles upon the original warranty expiring. I believed it to be treated as if I had bought a brand new car and it was acting as an original warranty.

I have only owned the car for 6 months, bought it used/CPO from dealership with 39,000 miles. Now they state that I am responsible for just about everything else once the original wearranty expires. Is this true? How can this be? How naieve was I to think that I was safe for another 2 years? WHat does CPO cover anyway?

I truly feel misled. On a different note I would never buy another car from the salesperson who I dealt with. He was so awful that this morning when speaking with the service tech I stated my displeasure with this individual. Without even uttering his name, the service tech said "let me guess,...it was ____ ___." He then when on to state that they had some great salesman there, but he was not one of them.

Not feeling to good about that whole process in retrospect.

Can you please clarify , what do you mean by extended period of time ? Is it 30 mins or 2 hours or ??

pjinca 12-14-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tuffluck (Post 1282181)
thanks. any reason it went bad? $1,100 is not terrible compared to what it could have been. sorry to hear you went through that though. that is pretty ridiculous of BMW to change a CPO to people who purchased a car with another CPO on it already. seems they could change it for future CPO purchases, but not existing ones. oh well.

No, they never figured out WHY it went bad, it just did. Yeah, BMW changed things, but they could've at least have grandfathered in current CPO owners.

Originally Posted by ProMed (Post 1282226)
CPO is basically just a powertrain warranty with a few extra perks. I wouldn't mind finding a separate "electrical only" 3rd party warranty to run along with it.

Careful what you mean about "drivetrain" - belt tensioners, water pump, thermostat, all not covered. Which is interesting because they aren't covered under the maintenance warranty either (I have both)

tuffluck 12-14-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1282598)
Careful what you mean about "drivetrain" - belt tensioners, water pump, thermostat, all not covered. Which is interesting because they aren't covered under the maintenance warranty either (I have both)

i guess we really need to hear more stories of what has been and what has not been covered under CPO. truth, not speculation. not that you are speculating, i'm just saying it'd be nice to know who has used their CPO and what for.

pjinca 12-14-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tuffluck (Post 1282601)
i guess we really need to hear more stories of what has been and what has not been covered under CPO. truth, not speculation. not that you are speculating, i'm just saying it'd be nice to know who has used their CPO and what for.

Well, in my case (for the truth part) my belts are fine - if they weren't they ARE covered under my maintenance warranty. However, one of the tensioners went bad, dealer said flat out it's not covered under either warranty and it $611 to repair. :thumbsup: