Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Water Damage and horrible Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='397691' date='Mar 2 2007, 01:07 PM
Sorry but aren't interested parties going to ask "This is a road you use every day and you didn't know how deep the fording point was likely to be?"

ABC
You just did...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Members

First, sorry to hear about that.....
I'll leave to others to comment on BMW service. But I have been through that situation few months ago (on a different car, not my BMW). Total to get the car back on the road was $2k at the dealer. Here is what happend to the car:-
  • Drove into 2-3ft of water (early in the morning and it was pitch black) and I am not the only one.
  • Engine died immediatly and sat in the water for 45mins
  • Won't start and had to be towed to dealer.
Here is what dealer done to my car:
  1. Flushed out the water in the engine.
  2. Replaced ECU, oxygen sensors and some other sensors (dont' remember).
Car has been running fine since then. And yes, I still have the car with me. I also have the cone type intake way below (abt same level as fog light and the car had been lowered). I am not an expert, but if only 2ft deep of water with your intake sitting way up in the engine bay, I will be surprise if much water get into your engine. You might want to call other dealer or mehanic to look at.

Worst come to worst, you buy insurance for a purpose. Use it if you have to. Do post back and let us know what the outcome and good luck!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vcash' post='397624' date='Mar 2 2007, 12:16 PM
I also called my insurance agent to see how they could help and they recommend not submitting a claim as my insurance might get cancelled as I have had 2 claims in the past 2 years so I might be better off paying for the damage myself.
What is this all about? not filing a claim? Of course you should file a claim. If they drop you after settlement, who cares, go to another insurance company. How much could your insurance increase because of this? not 55K for sure.
This is the whole purpose of having insurance for, just in case shit happens... So three in a row, so what, file it
Old 03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='397697' date='Mar 2 2007, 02:26 PM
You just did...
In my 5 years of driving on the road - I don't think it has ever been that bad where I have had to estimate the depth of the dip - Like I said, it was a one off incident - a bad rainstorm. I am not trying to be defensive but really till I did not even think of what happened till it happened. I guess I will be more careful in the future.

Thanks for the X5 suggestion but I alreay have the Lexus GX470 and really dont want another SUV. I have heard that Audi's come with the Water damagae as a part of their warranty. I should have stuck with purchasing the A6 or A8 if this is true.

And as for not buying another BMW - its not the car. I think its a fantastic automobile - its the damn customer service that has me thouroughly pissed. I think for most premium car buyers - the service is as important as the product and BMWs reponse today was as bad as it could get.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='397709' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:00 PM
What is this all about? not filing a claim? Of course you should file a claim. If they drop you after settlement, who cares, go to another insurance company. How much could your insurance increase because of this? not 55K for sure.
This is the whole purpose of having insurance for, just in case shit happens... So three in a row, so what, file it
I don't mind going that route if the repair cost is greater that $5K. The reason I am hesitant to be dropped from the Auto Insurance is because it is tied to my Home, Personal Liabilty, etc. If I lose Auto - my home, personal liabilty will increase as a result.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by vcash' post='397710' date='Mar 2 2007, 02:01 PM
I have heard that Audi's come with the Water damagae as a part of their warranty. I should have stuck with purchasing the A6 or A8 if this is true.
I would find this hard to believe, but I have no proof. This type of incident is considered driver error and I can't imagine any car maker covering such a thing. Lord knows Acura didn't cover my incident and I fully realize it was my fault.

As for the cost, get an estimate from the dealer. If you did get water in the engine but did not damage any of the electronics, paying for the repair may indeed be preferable to filing a claim, depending on the level of deductible you have.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by vcash' post='397624' date='Mar 2 2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry for the rant - but looking for some suggestions on what to do next. I Bought an 07 530xi on Dec 02nd from Springvalley, NY and I live in Greenwich, CT.
Welcome to the Greenwich BMW Service Support Group, VCash. I hope you have better luck with them than I've had so far. I've only taken it in once since I bought my CPO 545i, but the service I received had better not be a harbinger of things to come. SURELY it has nothing to do with the fact that I had to purchase my car from another dealer to avoid the ridiculous prices they want to charge in Greenwich. <_<

I have to agree with the SA in your case, however. The water around here was crazy the other day, but nothing we hadn't seen before. I (in my loaner) had to avoid several water holes on the way to work, but I guess I was tipped off by the fact that poor soul in a Lexus had already gotten himself mired in one of them. I suppose these cars aren't designed to ford rivers as well that offroad champion, the Honda Accord! However, the SOS Call Center was way out of line for treating you like that. For the coin we cough up for these cars, they ought to be able to upgrade the pleasantness of their service people.

Good luck with the repair and/or replacement, as the case may be.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Members

Thanks Wildcat - The saga with these A****** is about to begin. It has taken them over a day to even look at the car and they refused me a loaner saying "Natural Disaster". I have escalated with BMW NA. After multiple messages - I get a call that the car is now starting but they have to perform further diagnosis which I have to pay for - $400. This is the most ludicrous bullshit I have heard in my life. Jiffylube can charge me a diagnostic fee - noe BMW on a 3 month old car with no service and maintainence fee for 50K Miles and 5 years service. Is this $450 fee a normality at BMW? And they have already charged me a $120 yesterday on some other bullshit fees.

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='398012' date='Mar 3 2007, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the Greenwich BMW Service Support Group, VCash. I hope you have better luck with them than I've had so far. I've only taken it in once since I bought my CPO 545i, but the service I received had better not be a harbinger of things to come. SURELY it has nothing to do with the fact that I had to purchase my car from another dealer to avoid the ridiculous prices they want to charge in Greenwich. <_<

I have to agree with the SA in your case, however. The water around here was crazy the other day, but nothing we hadn't seen before. I (in my loaner) had to avoid several water holes on the way to work, but I guess I was tipped off by the fact that poor soul in a Lexus had already gotten himself mired in one of them. I suppose these cars aren't designed to ford rivers as well that offroad champion, the Honda Accord! However, the SOS Call Center was way out of line for treating you like that. For the coin we cough up for these cars, they ought to be able to upgrade the pleasantness of their service people.

Good luck with the repair and/or replacement, as the case may be.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

I can't speak to the diagnostic fees, since I had SIBs in hand for all the work I needed done. This is my first experience with them, but it's been a trying one. They've already tried to up the price on the iPod software activation (I did the hardware install myself), and I had to politely (ok, not so politely) remind them that they had already quoted me a price and that was the price I was going to pay. I suppose they think that anyone living in Greenwich has more money than God and just tells the SA "OK, whatever you say". Sorry, I don't feel like cutting checks to people just to cover up THEIR mistakes. Bottom line, we "agreed" that I would pay the initially-quoted price, not a penny more.

I probably saw your car this afternoon, somewhere in the sea of Bimmers in their shop. I realized when I got up this morning that my golf clubs were still in the trunk! Naturally, when I took it in on Monday morning I was expecting to have it back by the end of the week. Reasonable, no? The SA on duty this morning went out to the shop to get my clubs, but he told me it was presently hooked up to the PROGMAN updater. I told him that some time on the driving range wasn't worth potentially messing up the PROGMAN update and starting over, so don't touch that car! Looks like I'll demoing some clubs this afternoon!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Members

These guys are really giving me a migrane - I need to get out to The Griff myself (Is their driving range open?). I play alot of golf myself - unfotunatley being greenwich - kind of limited to public tracks so when the weather is decent I tend to spend most of my free time at the Griff. If your'e ever around there, let me know and we can do a quick 18.

P.S. Speaking of Demoing clubs - try the Nike Sumo Sq - thats one loud mother but goes hella straight.

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='398054' date='Mar 3 2007, 01:11 PM
I can't speak to the diagnostic fees, since I had SIBs in hand for all the work I needed done. This is my first experience with them, but it's been a trying one. They've already tried to up the price on the iPod software activation (I did the hardware install myself), and I had to politely (ok, not so politely) remind them that they had already quoted me a price and that was the price I was going to pay. I suppose they think that anyone living in Greenwich has more money than God and just tells the SA "OK, whatever you say". Sorry, I don't feel like cutting checks to people just to cover up THEIR mistakes. Bottom line, we "agreed" that I would pay the initially-quoted price, not a penny more.

I probably saw your car this afternoon, somewhere in the sea of Bimmers in their shop. I realized when I got up this morning that my golf clubs were still in the trunk! Naturally, when I took it in on Monday morning I was expecting to have it back by the end of the week. Reasonable, no? The SA on duty this morning went out to the shop to get my clubs, but he told me it was presently hooked up to the PROGMAN updater. I told him that some time on the driving range wasn't worth potentially messing up the PROGMAN update and starting over, so don't touch that car! Looks like I'll demoing some clubs this afternoon!

Quick Reply: Water Damage and horrible Customer Service