Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Warranty Repair Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:48 AM
Am I the only one who thinks establishing a relationship with an SA or technician is not necessarily a good thing?

I mean, going in once in a while to do an upgrade or for a regularly scheduled maintenance means you're there what, once, twice a year?? I would hardly call that establishing a relationship.
However, if they are on a first-name basis with you, "Hey (insert your name here)!? You're back again?" this can't possibly mean good things for your car. ?
[snapback]178568[/snapback]
I end up at my BMW place pretty frequently for the installation of my after-market items (and will continue down this path), buying parts, etc. Also, I was in twice for my tint and once to have a plastic thing-a-majig replaced. And, I still am working on getting my wheels installed; its has taken a couple of tries because BMW has sent a bad rear wheel twice. Also, I tend to be a waiter so I yak with those around about this, that, and the other. I think I know my SA reasonably well already--with no negative issues.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 29 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi All:

There has been much discussion about the potential for warranty-repair problems to occur given the installation of after-market parts. I am wondering about the warranty experiences of those with after-market performance parts, over-size wheels/tires, lowering kits, and after-market wheels in general. I am equally interested in hearing about good and bad warranty experiences.?

I have a B&B exhaust and a Dinan throttle body. My tires (PS2s) are in BMW spec. And, my wheels are BMW 101s--which are offered in "5-Series: Original BMW Accessories"--which is available at BMW dealers. I would expect no problems with the last 2 items.

I have had little warranty work performed to date. My dealer has been nothing but encouraging about the after-market parts I have installed. My dealer seems eager to sell me after-market Dinan parts and continues to indicate that there should be no Dinan-related warranty problems.

Note that I am not interested in discussing warranties, whether, and under what conditions, they can be voided, what the various warranty laws are, who might be taking advantage of who, etc. These sorts of topics have been discussed many times and at least several times recently. I just want to know what your experiences have been, both good and bad, with warranty repairs given that you have installed after-market parts of the types mentioned above or any other types you feel are pertinent to the discussion.
[snapback]177239[/snapback]
Hi All Again:

I'm about to conclude one of the following: (a) very few of us have mods of the types I mentioned above, (b) very few of us have such mods and also have needed to try to have their cars serviced under warranty, or ? few of us having such mods and having tried to have their cars serviced under warranty have had warranty problems because of their mods. (b) or ? would be good news--although I think ? would be the better news since I expect most everyone to need to use their warranties at one time or another.

Any more thoughts anyone? I am especially interested in hearing from those that have the types of mods I mentioned above, have tried to have their cars serviced under warranty, and have had (or have not had) warranty problems because of their mods.

Is the voiding-of-warranty-because-of-mods issue a non-issue?