Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

A warning to prospective owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Can I implore everyone thinking or ordering a new 5, or those that have just placed an order with their dealer to research their optional extras thoroughly.

There are several posts with new owners regretting not getting certain options (Pro Nav/TV etc.)

Speccing these cars is not easy. Firstly many options are expensive, and secondly (with TV for example) there are other pre-requisite options that must be purchased or avoided to allow function.

This is especially important to follow in Europe, where we can buy most options as single items rather than as packages.

You should be aware that retrofitting many of these options is at best difficult, time-consuming and expensive, and at worst, impossible.

Obviously, your dealer should guide you, but we have proved time and time again here that we have more knowledge than 95% of the dealers out there when it comes to knowing what can and can't be ordered on our cars.

Check and double check before you go ahead, get assurances from your dealer in writing, check on this board. The last thing you want is to regret your new 5.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Members

Yes, Browellm, you're quite right about that. I had to order mine with BMW phone because I was told Bluetooth option (less expensive) was incompatible with ProNav. Now, that I know from you guys that isn't truth, and is too late to change my specs, (car is being produced this week), I had to pay more then expected to have telephone service in the car and the solution appears to be less flexible than the bluetooth one.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Contributors

I know what you mean about retro fit being impossible. I tried to get the electric fold in mirrors on my car and was told it was only available from the factory.
Damn the luck an damn the US with all thier restrictions. I think I can at least get the mirror glass swapped out for the euro ones. (They get rid of blind spots)
Old 06-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

browellm

excellent post - after many hours of research and expense there is still an option i wish I'd gone for, bi-zenons. I thought that zenons for dipped beam came as standard but it doesn't look like mine are - oh well, there's always next time!

jonboy
Old 06-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 28 2004, 05:38 AM
I know what you mean about retro fit being impossible. I tried to get the electric fold in mirrors on my car and was told it was only available from the factory.
Damn the luck an damn the US with all thier restrictions. I think I can at least get the mirror glass swapped out for the euro ones. (They get rid of blind spots)
nice pics - i noticed that you had the nav on split screen showing both the cd and map - what menu options did you select for this display?

jonboy
Old 06-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

That's the view I almost always have. Select CD in the main menu and "map Direction of Travel" in the small menu on the right.

I just wish you could swap those two (have the map in the larger window on the left, but the CD info on the right).
Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributors

555 is correct. It is pretty simple. I wish I could put the Cd on the right as well. Maybe they will find a way to add that that feature though I doubt it.
I am going to try for another Euro option. I am going to try to get the front LED's white instead of orange. I looked to see if I could just swap that out but it did not look that simple at all.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Contributors

I have a 545 six-speed and it comes with the sports package and xenons. The only other options I have are premium sound and the cold weather package.

At first I wish I got NAV, PDC and lumbar, but am now happy that I saved the money. I haven't used the cold weather package once since owning the car and kind of wish I passed on premium sound and got something aftermarket instead. Extra options are nice, but they don't really add or take away from the car that much.

I say save some money on options and spend it on mods instead.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think this is rather personal. I really hate thinking I miss out on something. In other words. I'm gonna take all the options that I think I would miss if I wouldn't have them (including electric foldable mirrors).
Old 06-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Contributors

That would be one I'd miss the least. My top 3 of options I could live without:

3 Logic 7, like DD said, it's not worth the extra money.
2 The folding mirrors. A mere gadget. (Although since I had them reprogrammed to fold via the remote control it's becoming a more frequently used gadget).
1 The sliding armrest. WTF is that all about? My arm can't even lie that close to the seat.

My top 3 of options I would miss the most:

3 The automatic gearbox. I'll never buy a manual again, unless it's a Lambo.
2 The exclusive leather. It makes me happy.
1 Active steering. In one word fantastic.

Just my 2 pennies.