Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Are US BMW buyers getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canadian Perspective:
I live about 10 miles from the US border, in Canada, and had to pay a Canadian price of $95,000 plus 14% tax= $108,300 Canadian. Based on todays exchange rate that is $93,240 USD.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by MacKay' post='236392' date='Feb 7 2006, 04:31 PM
Canadian Perspective:
I live about 10 miles from the US border, in Canada, and had to pay a Canadian price of $95,000 plus 14% tax= $108,300 Canadian. Based on todays exchange rate that is $93,240 USD.
Would it help if you drove to the US side, buy it, and drive it back, says a couple of months later . . . For that kind of money, you could pay an M5.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:11 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='236317' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:43 PM
We have always considered that here in the UK we get ripped off on car prices.

For example, the most basic UK Ford Focus (2.0l engine) $28035.
Mazda 3 (2.0) $26162. :thumbsdown:

In the USA, from the manufacturers website, prices for these cars are $13995 and $14225 respectively.

I have chosen 2.0l engines as that appears to be the smallest available in the USA.

Now BMW seems to charge $42500 for the basic 525i in USA, here in the UK it is $53390.

So cars are much cheaper in the USA, we all knew that anyway.

BUT........................

If these prices are right BMW want 303% of the cost of a focus and 298% of the cost of a Mazda for a 525i in USA.

In the UK they only want 190% of the cost of a Focus and 204% of the cost of the Mazda 3.

Now I accept that there will be discounts, some differences in equipment and I do not know what local taxes would do to those prices in the US.

But the RELATIVE cost of the BMW in USA seems awfully high.

Am I missing something here or are our cousins in the USA paying relatively too much for thier BMW's?

Not sure where you have got your BMW prices from as they are slightly incorrect plus you are not comparing like for like.

A BMW 525i SE in the UK costs ?29,060 on the road including road tax and delivery. That translates into a price of $50,650 at today's spot $ rate. That includes VAT at 17.5% so removing the VAT results in a pre tax price of $43,100. The US price for a 525i including shipping and handling but excluding sales tax is $43,195. Virtually the same. Even post tax the difference is less than $4k. BMW pricing in the UK seems to be reasonable especially after you take into account the incremental engineering cost involved in shifting the steering wheel to the right and the fact that even at 1.75 the US $ is pretty weak. Also UK BMW dealers appear to be willing to give at least 8-10% discount off the list price.

I would expect a UK 525i SE to stack up pretty well against US 525i in terms of standard features.

Some other European countries also have down right cheap BMW pricing - lower than the USA and UK - however local taxes add an unbelievable amount on top.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by SKK' post='236421

In the USA, from the manufacturers website, prices for these cars are $13995 and $14225 respectively.

I have chosen 2.0l engines as that appears to be the smallest available in the USA.

Now BMW seems to charge $42500 for the basic 525i in USA, here in the UK it is $53390.

If these prices are right BMW want 303% of the cost of a focus and 298% of the cost of a Mazda for a 525i in USA.

In the UK they only want 190% of the cost of a Focus and 204% of the cost of the Mazda 3.

Now I accept that there will be discounts, some differences in equipment and I do not know what local taxes would do to those prices in the US.

Am I missing something here or are our cousins in the USA paying relatively too much for thier BMW's?

Not sure where you have got your BMW prices from as they are slightly incorrect plus you are not comparing like for like.

A BMW 525i SE in the UK costs ?29,060 on the road including road tax and delivery. That translates into a price of $50,650 at today's spot $ rate. That includes VAT at 17.5% so removing the VAT results in a pre tax price of $43,100. The US price for a 525i including shipping and handling but excluding sales tax is $43,195. Virtually the same. Even post tax the difference is less than $4k. BMW pricing in the UK seems to be reasonable especially after you take into account the incremental engineering cost involved in shifting the steering wheel to the right and the fact that even at 1.75 the US $ is pretty weak. Also UK BMW dealers appear to be willing to give at least 8-10% discount off the list price.

I would expect a UK 525i SE to stack up pretty well against US 525i in terms of standard features.

Some other European countries have down right cheap BMW pricing - lower than the USA - however local taxes add an unbelievable amount on top.
[/quote]

I think you are right on with the local taxes. Isn't called "robbing from the rich and giving it to the poor" philosophy? If you can afford to buy a BMW in those countries that charge high local taxes, then couldn't you afford to give some of your money (a large portion for that matter) to the general public?

That's what makes the US great. Rich people don't have to necessarily give great portions of their hard earned wealth on commodity items such as these cars.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Originally Posted by SKK' post='236421

Some other European countries also have down right cheap BMW pricing - lower than the USA and UK - however local taxes add an unbelievable amount on top.
[/quote]

See my different thread, 79 countries and Island drive RH cars including some with pretty large populations. Incremental costs? thats just the message BMW, Merc etc want us to agree with here in the UK.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:36 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='236430
I think you are right on with the local taxes. Isn't called "robbing from the rich and giving it to the poor" philosophy? If you can afford to buy a BMW in those countries that charge high local taxes, then couldn't you afford to give some of your money (a large portion for that matter) to the general public?

That's what makes the US great. Rich people don't have to necessarily give great portions of their hard earned wealth on commodity items such as these cars.
You are correct. The USA is a great country but in some ways the wealth divide is too extreme and is detrimental to the overall good. You might feel positive about it but what about the unemployed chap living in the local ghetto ?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

You make a very interesting point. I am going to about it for a while.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236442' date='Feb 7 2006, 11:40 PM
You make a very interesting point. I am going to about it for a while.
TBH Znod, the UK is not much better. The poor are poor everywhere. I don't feel guilty about it and I hate paying taxes just as much as anyone else but I was just pointing out the obvious.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='236317' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:43 PM

Interesting stuff. In Ireland a 525i is priced at 60,000 euro. That works out at $72,000. A ford Focus will cost you 23,000 euro, thats $27,500 and a Maybach will cost you 500,000 Euro but thats for the shorter wheelbase model $600,000. And you guy's think your being rogered????
Old 02-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='236407
Canadian Perspective:
Would it help if you drove to the US side, buy it, and drive it back, says a couple of months later . . . For that kind of money, you could pay an M5.
[/quote]

Any vehicle less than 15 years old is subject to duties and taxes which make it prohibitive. We are also required to pay to have the vehicle altered to meet Transport Canada requirements (daytime running lights and metric labels for instruments, for example). Here an M5 costs $128,00 ($146,000 with tax).

Quick Reply: Are US BMW buyers getting ripped off?