Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Are US BMW buyers getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by SKK' post='236458
You make a very interesting point. I am going to about it for a while.
TBH Znod, the UK is not much better. The poor are poor everywhere. I don't feel guilty about it and I hate paying taxes just as much as anyone else but I was just pointing out the obvious.
[/quote]I was replying to the original post.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

What about IMPORT duties on non-Brit cars? I'm sure there is a valiant effort to protect (readrotectionism) what's left of the Brit manufacturers (hmm, let's see: That would be Morgan and........). Were those Brit-made Fords you were quoting?

Just a thought, and probably not an original one. (I didn't read all the replies) but I'm sure there is something to explain the vast difference; otherwise, it would be like a politician saying one thing in one area and something conflicting in another. The media, much less the internet, don't permit you to get away with that beyond one news cycle.

Don't forget other local taxes; heck in the US we had that liberal-feel-good "luxury" tax that the class-warfare Democrats lodged on cars over $30K, years ago, that only recently phased out. And we still have our very own Gas Guzzler tax, another Enviro-Demagogic special, that the corporations get to decide how to apportion among their line.

If you were quoting German vs other countries, I'd expect a difference, based on marketing. But, I'll bet the delta is more local, as opposed to BMW-specification, although, we do know of equipment specification differences too...

Ray Hull
Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='236333' date='Feb 7 2006, 04:02 PM
Nah, we are being ripped off in the UK.
That's the price you pay for driving on the wrong side of the road.

*puts on flame proof suit*

Okay... I'm just kidding but on the other side of the coin try and find a nice Diesel in the US. And try pricing a used 1993 Land Rover Defender 110 in the US and the UK. Then if you want more try a 1994, 1995, 1997 Defender 90 (all V8 petrol).
Old 02-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='236531' date='Feb 7 2006, 06:38 PM
What about IMPORT duties on non-Brit cars? I'm sure there is a valiant effort to protect (readrotectionism) what's left of the Brit manufacturers (hmm, let's see: That would be Morgan and........). Were those Brit-made Fords you were quoting?

Just a thought, and probably not an original one. (I didn't read all the replies) but I'm sure there is something to explain the vast difference; otherwise, it would be like a politician saying one thing in one area and something conflicting in another. The media, much less the internet, don't permit you to get away with that beyond one news cycle.

Don't forget other local taxes; heck in the US we had that liberal-feel-good "luxury" tax that the class-warfare Democrats lodged on cars over $30K, years ago, that only recently phased out. And we still have our very own Gas Guzzler tax, another Enviro-Demagogic special, that the corporations get to decide how to apportion among their line.

If you were quoting German vs other countries, I'd expect a difference, based on marketing. But, I'll bet the delta is more local, as opposed to BMW-specification, although, we do know of equipment specification differences too...

Ray Hull

There aren't any import duties or similar taxes on anything made and sold within the territory of the EU (most Japanese cars and some of the American brands such as Chrysler and Jeep also manufacture in the EU).
Old 02-08-2006, 12:10 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='236531' date='Feb 8 2006, 02:38 AM

Ray Hull
Ray,

The UK prices include all taxes, registration etc, they are 'on the road' prices' discounts of up to @8% can be achieved from these prices.

US prices are from US Manufactureers websites, I do not know the local tax situation in the US, if these need to be added to the US prices it would make the price gap even larger.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Members

It isn't just cars, of course. We get ripped off on almost everything, in the UK. Manufacturers charge what they can get away with, and as long as we pay without protest, they'll keep doing it.

Car prices have come down over the last 6 years, relative to Europe, mainly because of the high-level investigations that took place and huge fines imposed on VW and others. It's gone quiet now. Time to start making some noise?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be delivered 523iA

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='236317' date='Feb 7 2006, 09:43 PM
Now BMW seems to charge $42500 for the basic 525i in USA, here in the UK it is $53390.
You might need to look at more than just the list price to compare.

In Germany BMW is charging $46,994 for the new 525i (which has 2.5-litre 218 HP engine). W/o our 16% VAT that's $40,512.

BUT, that's like comparing apples to oranges considering that the U.S. version has a completely different engine (3.0-litre and 215 HP) and has more features.

Some standard features in the U.S. you have to pay for in Germany include:

- 17-inch wheels (instead of 16-inch wheels)
- Metallic paint
- 10-way power seats
- automatic climate control w/ AUC
- glass moonroof
- ambience lighting
- cupholders
- security alarm system
- 10 speaker audio system

Given these options which cost $7,220 incl. VAT, the total list price for a German 525i would be $54,214 (or $46,736 w/o VAT). Last year, you would usually get something around 8-12% off the list price if buying cash.

Not couting the 4 years warranty and maintanance...
Old 02-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Contributors

I always thought that bimmers were less expensive in uk
Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='236656' date='Feb 8 2006, 07:20 AM

Nope, I even think Germany has higher prices than we do. I was in Germany in Oct of 2003, and there was a 530i on display in front of my hotel - some "5er" PR campaign. The window sticker was ~56,000 Euros. The exchange rate at the time was ~1.2:1, so it was quite a bit more than in the US. The guys from our offices there explained that taxes were really bad too.

We're pretty lucky in the US.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60, 520I, 2100 CC, Silver and Light Grey leather Interior, No Factory option, Standard I drive and audio system, 16' Alloy Wheels, Aux Input installed Jan 06. More Audio/Video Mods coming soon

Guys,

You are considered very lucky to me. Even the most expensive BMW you are buying is still cheaper than the price of BMW in my country.
I live in Indonesia and the goverment put more than 200% tax on cars. :thumbsdown:

My BMW 520i Auto, Standard Audio, 16 Inch Wheel, No nav and Leather seat costs around US$ 77,000.00
A 530i Auto with 17 inch Wheel, Logic 7 Audio, No nav and leather seat costs around US$100,000.00

There are only 2 types of 5 series sold here and no option available. You just get what BMW Indonesia is selling.

Brgds,
David

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='236726

Nope, I even think Germany has higher prices than we do. I was in Germany in Oct of 2003, and there was a 530i on display in front of my hotel - some "5er" PR campaign. The window sticker was ~56,000 Euros. The exchange rate at the time was ~1.2:1, so it was quite a bit more than in the US. The guys from our offices there explained that taxes were really bad too.

We're pretty lucky in the US.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Are US BMW buyers getting ripped off?