Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

UPDATE: BMWNA APPROVED BUYBACK

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by 1600' post='456243' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:17 PM
Congrats! Whew, it's over. Sleep happy.
Tell me about it. I still haven't signed the paperwork but it's all done and ordered. Price quoted to me by the sale manager himself. I already had that number so when he told I was happy with it. Now I just have to wait patiently.

Thanks Rick..
Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535 XiT, Space Grey/Black with Poplar Wood, Steptronic Auto, Premium/Sport/Cold Package, Comfort Access, Multi Contour Seats, PDC, Rear Shades.

I hope you get a better car this time. Can you tell me the steps you took to get BMW NA to buy back your vehicle?

I drive a 2008 BMW 535 xi Space Gray / Sport /Premium / Cold / Sat Radio / Nav / Comfort Access / Manual Rear Shades and just had it diagnosed with a a bad fuel pump.

This happened back in 8/31 and have been told by the BMW Service that they have not heard back from BMW NA on how to proceed. Not sure if this a common thing from them to get approval for repairs when it is obviously under warranty.

Let me know as I am preparing a case to invoke the CA Lemon Law, and would definitely value your input on your experience.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by banawe' post='465865' date='Sep 4 2007, 08:08 PM
I hope you get a better car this time. Can you tell me the steps you took to get BMW NA to buy back your vehicle?

I drive a 2008 BMW 535 xi Space Gray / Sport /Premium / Cold / Sat Radio / Nav / Comfort Access / Manual Rear Shades and just had it diagnosed with a a bad fuel pump.

This happened back in 8/31 and have been told by the BMW Service that they have not heard back from BMW NA on how to proceed. Not sure if this a common thing from them to get approval for repairs when it is obviously under warranty.

Let me know as I am preparing a case to invoke the CA Lemon Law, and would definitely value your input on your experience.
At this point you are not there yet. if you read most of my posts I had trouble with the car from inception. Wrong clear coat bra size which allowed two small pebbles to chip the hood, 3 wheel allignments and balance and then the gear shifter went and I could not put the car in gear. If I messed with the shifter it would go into gear. I used the car like that and waited three weeks for the gear shifter to be made in germany and shipped. By the second week I had to bring the car in and get a loaner. Then the car left me and the wife stranded in capemay for several hours because it would not start. Capemay is 3 hours from my house. I kept on trying to start it and then let it rest and then tried again until it started. On fathers day I was embarassed infront of family and friends because the car would not start. Did the same thing and it finally started. One guy offered me $25,000 cash, boy was I mad. I must have been to the dealership over 12 times to the point where everyone in service knew my first name and so did sales. I finally gave up on the car. I brought it in after all the start up problems and was issued a puma case for the fuel pump. I waited about 3 weeks for the pump because it had to be remanufactured and was on national back order. I had a green 3 series loaner that I hated.

I'm in NY your in Cali so I don't know your laws. But I'm betting they are similar to ours. I feel that you should not give up on your car yet. You just got it and I know how you feel with this issue you are facing now. Just hang in there and let them fix it. If it happens again after they fix it then I would be upset but approach the situation professionally. I went through 3 months of aggravation before they approved me for another car and I believe I was really one of the lucky ones to be able to get a new car. I'm giving you a short long version of the story because you asked but if you search the forum you'll see some of the original postings as it was happening to me. I hope this helps and good luck.

Do not loose your faith in the car you own now, it's hard to regain. Till this day I get into mine and wonder is it going to start. So far so good once they replaced the high fuel pressure pump. When the new car is here from Germany and ready for me to pick up I will give them this one back. It's car for car anything extra I pay for out of pocket at invoice. So I stacked the car with $5,500 in options this time. oh, and I changed the color to Platinum Grey from Space Grey.

Good Luck...And keep your wits about you. Don't go in threatning anyone, ask to speak to the Director of service not the manager and politely but firmly state your case. You might get some concession for your trouble.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535 XiT, Space Grey/Black with Poplar Wood, Steptronic Auto, Premium/Sport/Cold Package, Comfort Access, Multi Contour Seats, PDC, Rear Shades.

Thanks for the advise Slick....

Well, it took them a week to replace my High Pressure Fuel pump. While that was being done, I called BMW NA and got the run around at first. Even got assigned to a condescending CR guy who thought I was just venting when all I was trying to accomplish was move the process along - a brief explanation I suppose is needed here, I am on daily contact with my Service Advisor and for 3 days all he has from me is that they are waiting for NA to give them authorization to order and repair...so I thought I'd move it along.

Long story short, I ended up writing a letter to the VP of Sales and got assigned a personal CR rep. We were discussing compensation when a few other issues came about with the car. 5 days after getting the car back my TPM goes off stating all 4 tires are bad. Not the case after checking twice with 2 different gauges. Reported with my rep and was advised to bring in for service. Bluetooth goes bonkers in the meantime and the day off my taking it back to service, all my memory settings are erased. Almost like a factory reset, no seat, mirrors, nav, sat, radio, everything was back to the day I was picking it up from the dealer.

They have the car now for 3 days and counting with no idea what is going on. They have asked for all my keys thinking that they would replace the computer as well but my SA read to me the work log and no mention of anything doen so far just diagnosis. The only clue I have is that it says awaiting for BMW NA to advise of next step on all the reports.

I have been very level headed and professional with my rep and have even awarded kudos to all the people I've encountered that deserved it along the way.
I have politely asked for us to reconsider options at this point including a possible buy back as my wife wants nothing to do with my car now. Since everytime it goes haywire she and my 3 yr old son happen to be on it and she fears for our safety specially since the fuel pump issue put us in a dire situation.

I will post as things develop. Let me know if you have more advise you can give me to tip things in my favor.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='456213' date='Aug 7 2007, 12:34 PM
The sad irony in all this is that we really don't know what happens to these cars once they leave us. I guess they fix them up as best as possible and to the auction block they go. Now some of us can't swing the price of a new one, me a couple of years ago-hence the 525I-2002 which I bought in 2003 pre-certified, and buy these pre-certified cars without knowing if they were buybacks or the real history behind them. As it turns out I had an awesome experiance with my 2002-525i and that's why I continued with BMW. With all that said I still have pride in the make and realize that these things can happen with any auto brand especially the new ones produced with all this new computerized technology.
Hey slickrick,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Buy-back cars are usually noted in Autocheck or Carfax reports, at least in Texas they are. My friend's been looking at some early E60 models, and we've run into several buy back cars. As I told him --- "stay away, and skip to the next car..."
Old 09-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Members

Friend of mine had an A8, the first year of the latest body style - when their MMI system was introduced. His car needed warranty work several times that each time required the car to be in the shop for extended visits - sometimes for more than two weeks. He tallied up the accumulated time that the car was at the shop being repaired and fired off a letter to Audi stating that he was making lease payments all the while. After Audi threw up some roadblocks - their Audi Advocates are nothing more than advocates for Audi ("I know how this is frustrating for you..."), he was successful in getting them to reimburse him for several lease payments. The car was finally fixed, and when the lease expired, he went into an E60.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='475691' date='Sep 29 2007, 03:24 AM
Hey slickrick,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Buy-back cars are usually noted in Autocheck or Carfax reports, at least in Texas they are. My friend's been looking at some early E60 models, and we've run into several buy back cars. As I told him --- "stay away, and skip to the next car..."
I don't believe it's a buy back. I think it's more of a trade one car for another, an even swap if you want to call it that. That's how they explained it to me.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joelk01' post='475729' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:34 AM
Friend of mine had an A8, the first year of the latest body style - when their MMI system was introduced. His car needed warranty work several times that each time required the car to be in the shop for extended visits - sometimes for more than two weeks. He tallied up the accumulated time that the car was at the shop being repaired and fired off a letter to Audi stating that he was making lease payments all the while. After Audi threw up some roadblocks - their Audi Advocates are nothing more than advocates for Audi ("I know how this is frustrating for you..."), he was successful in getting them to reimburse him for several lease payments. The car was finally fixed, and when the lease expired, he went into an E60.
Good for him..
Old 09-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Contributors

As of Thursday the new ordered car is awaiting release at the New Jersey port. My service rep said that as soon as the car is in their hands she will call me to bring the other car in so they can take the SAT radio out and put it in the new one. She already ordered the spoiler too. I hope this can all happen before my birthday October 8th, this will be my birthday gift.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='475735' date='Sep 29 2007, 06:38 AM
As of Thursday the new ordered car is awaiting release at the New Jersey port. My service rep said that as soon as the car is in their hands she will call me to bring the other car in so they can take the SAT radio out and put it in the new one. She already ordered the spoiler too. I hope this can all happen before my birthday October 8th, this will be my birthday gift.
Advanced happy birthday. May your wish come true.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: BMWNA APPROVED BUYBACK