Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

UK independent vehicle check

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know a UK company that will do an independent vehicle check. I'd like to use this service before I buy a 2nd hand car even though it might be from the dealer. I'm happy to spend a couple of hundred quid just to get a 2nd impartial opinion on the car status. I know RAC and AA do something like this but from what I can find out, they do not guarantee their check.

Is there a highly reputable company out there that will put some guarantee to their report. I know that if I do buy from a BMW dealer then I will get the standard UAC warranty but I'd rather know about any issues upfront before I buy rather than go through the pain of finding them out during the warranty period.

TIA.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

AA or RAC are as good as they get with regard to an engineers report, but you will not find anybody to gaurantee the car or its paperwork, that is impossible, you can only check and gaurantee tangable things.

if there is any fraud or missrepresentation going on you cant gaurantee against it.
the nominal checks that equifax and HPI do just cover what known info is held against the car, a AA or RAC engineer will check for VIN numbers that have been tampered with etc, but no one can guarantee that.
buy through a dealer, then if something is wrong its up to them to sort it out.....
Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='776979' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:34 PM
AA or RAC are as good as they get with regard to an engineers report, but you will not find anybody to gaurantee the car or its paperwork, that is impossible, you can only check and gaurantee tangable things.

if there is any fraud or missrepresentation going on you cant gaurantee against it.
the nominal checks that equifax and HPI do just cover what known info is held against the car, a AA or RAC engineer will check for VIN numbers that have been tampered with etc, but no one can guarantee that.
buy through a dealer, then if something is wrong its up to them to sort it out.....
I think that's the best option.
I actually visited 3 dealers in order to renew my E60. All checked with my keys the history of my previous E60 before making an offer on it : all the history was just present on their screen:
Ask for the dealer where you will purchase to show you the history of the car "LIVE": everything ishould show up. Even wiper-blades change !
Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the info. The AA have a 166 point Comprehensive Inspection which costs ?290. RAC have a similar 166 point check for ?175. RAC also do a in depth check for ?349 (http://www.rac.co.uk/web/vehicle-che...le-inspection/).

1. Anyone have any personal experience with RAC vehicle check?
2. Do these check also include a HPI check? i.e. is there any benefit in doing a separate one?

TIA