Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Oil Change at a local lube shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
My idrive notified me that it is time to get an oil change.
I dont really want to spend the $160 the stealership charges, so i was wondering if it is safe to get a local lube shop like Mr.Lube (Canadian franchise) to do it.

If so, should i buy a BMW filter? and just make sure they put in the correct synthetic oil?

i know how to reset the idrive..really simple...anything else i should be cautious of?

THANKS!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hamz98' post='777134' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:45 PM
Hey guys,
I dont really want to spend the $160 the stealership charges, so i was wondering if it is safe to get a local lube shop like Mr.Lube (Canadian franchise) to do it.

If so, should i buy a BMW filter? and just make sure they put in the correct synthetic oil?

i know how to reset the idrive..really simple...anything else i should be cautious of?

THANKS!!!
Do you not want to do it yourself? It really is quite simple. Just remove the drain plug, let it drain, change up the oil filter (which is super simple to access on top) and put the drain plug back in. There is a little access panel that you have to unscrew, to get access to the oil drain plug, but this is pretty much it. But if you have to go the local lube shop route, I would just buy the oil from the dealership while you are there getting the filter and have the lube put both in.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='777137' date='Jan 25 2009, 03:50 PM
Do you not want to do it yourself? It really is quite simple. Just remove the drain plug, let it drain, change up the oil filter (which is super simple to access on top) and put the drain plug back in. There is a little access panel that you have to unscrew, to get access to the oil drain plug, but this is pretty much it. But if you have to go the local lube shop route, I would just buy the oil from the dealership while you are there getting the filter and have the lube put both in.
+1...there are some great DIY threads/write-ups on oil changes....GL
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='777138' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:52 PM
+1...there are some great DIY threads/write-ups on oil changes....GL
Yea i was just looking at them, Seems really simple!
...unfortunatly it is -40 outside and my garage isnt heated
But its good to know I have more options then just the dealership !!! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hamz98' post='777139' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:54 PM
Yea i was just looking at them, Seems really simple!
...unfortunatly it is -40 outside and my garage isnt heated
But its good to know I have more options then just the dealership !!! Thanks!
If you don't want to have an oil service at your local BMW dealership, and it's not practical for you to DIY, look for a qualified independent BMW mechanic. IMHO don't just stay away from the fast oil change stores ... RUN AWAY FROM THEM!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='777159' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:49 PM
If you don't want to have an oil service at your local BMW dealership, and it's not practical for you to DIY, look for a qualified independent BMW mechanic. IMHO don't just stay away from the fast oil change stores ... RUN AWAY FROM THEM!

+1
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hamz98' post='777134' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

THANKS!!!

Changed mine at Midas. Watched their every move. They did a fine job and for 45 bucks for fully synthetic mobil 1
Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Just watch them at the oil stops and make sure they arent fucking around.

Its not like they are the plague.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Contributors

There are some tiny rubber gaskets that get replaced when you swap out the filter. I would hate to imagine the magnitude of damage that could occur if one was placed wrong or (shudder) left out all together. I would absolutely 1000% stay away from the 'quick lube' shops. I like what was said about pricing out an independent repair shop that specializes in european automobiles.

I feel you on not wanting to pay so much just for an oil change, but you cannot put a price tag on peace of mind. Do you want someone who probably thinks you are a yuppie or a snob doing your oil change? No. You want someone who hopes you come back, and cares if you are happy.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='777384' date='Jan 26 2009, 03:06 AM
There are some tiny rubber gaskets that get replaced when you swap out the filter. I would hate to imagine the magnitude of damage that could occur if one was placed wrong or (shudder) left out all together. I would absolutely 1000% stay away from the 'quick lube' shops. I like what was said about pricing out an independent repair shop that specializes in european automobiles.

I feel you on not wanting to pay so much just for an oil change, but you cannot put a price tag on peace of mind. Do you want someone who probably thinks you are a yuppie or a snob doing your oil change? No. You want someone who hopes you come back, and cares if you are happy.

Thanks for all of the advice!

I might just cross my fingers for a warm day this weekend and do it myself.
if not, a euro shop sounds like the 2nd best option!

Quick Reply: Oil Change at a local lube shop?