Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

TSB for Dunlop runflats

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:31 PM
RE: Steering wheel wobble - sounds like a balanace issue, not this problem.

RE: Mileage - Mine were starting to make noise around 6K miles.? Now I'm at +8K and it sounds like a damn truck.

I looked at the inside of my tires the other day and they have the feathered wear pattern, so I am optimistic I will get new tires next week.? My only concern now is availability.? I think a lot more people will want replacements now that there is a TSB on it.
[snapback]142440[/snapback]
Fortunately, the SIB allows for replacement with tires of a different make/model if the Dunlops are not available. I am going to strongly lobby for Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S.

-MrB
Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Do we have anyone who don't have tire noise/wear problem? I have 6,000 miles and the tires are smooth and quiet. If the unbearable noise is inminent, I may consider taking my car to do a few track laps.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 23 2005, 01:17 PM
Do we have anyone who don't have tire noise/wear problem?? I have 6,000 miles and the tires are smooth and quiet.? If the unbearable noise is inminent, I may consider taking my car to do a few track laps.
[snapback]142453[/snapback]
Mine started howling/whining/roaring right around 7000-7500 miles.

-MrB
Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jun 23 2005, 02:10 PM
Fortunately, the SIB allows for replacement with tires of a different make/model if the Dunlops are not available.? I am going to strongly lobby for Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S.

-MrB
[snapback]142449[/snapback]
Yeah, except the Dunlops have to be unavailable so your lobbying may be to no avail...

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Jun 23 2005, 03:48 PM
Mine started howling/whining/roaring right around 7000-7500 miles.

-MrB
[snapback]142481[/snapback]
That's right around when mine started to roar...
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Members

Many thanks to this forum and you guys sharing your info. Here in Norway (Europe) BMW and Dunlop has denied that there is an issue. But last 2 days I have sent them copies of this and other forums information, and next tuesday I will have all my Dunlop 245/40/18 tires replaced free of charge! THANKS!!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Members

Had all my tyres replaced today with Bridgestones as i was down to the legal limit. Front tyres worn on inside and outside. I had to pay but have requested that the tyres are returned to BMWGB and they reimburse me the cost of replacement. Will wait and see
Old 06-25-2005, 04:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Jun 22 2005, 12:48 PM
Here you go

SUBJECT
Noise and/or Vibration Caused by Irregular Tire Wear

MODEL

E60 (5 Series) equipped with Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST Run Flat Tires

SITUATION
Noise and/or vibration caused by irregular tire wear on Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST Run Flat tires may be objectionable to some customers. Irregular tire wear may also be noted during a service visit.

CORRECTION
If this situation is detected based upon a customer complaint and/or during a service visit; and only if the tires have less than 20,000 miles, replace all four (4) tires.

PROCEDURE

Check all four tires for proper inflation pressure and tread wear each time a customer comes into your center.
Noise and vibration may be caused by the irregular tire wear referenced in this Service Information. The wear only occurs at the tire's inner shoulder as indicated by the shaded area in the illustration.
The tires will have a feathered or scalloped edge on the inner tread blocks. If one or more tires are found with this condition, and the tires have less than 20,000 miles, all four (4) tires should be replaced with similar Dunlop tires, or when not available, with other BMW approved tires.

Assistance for situations outside of the scope of this Service Information will require submission of a PuMA case to the BMW Technical Hotline with required tire information such as DOT number, tire pressures, tire mileage, and digital pictures (if possible).

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The coverage offered by Dunlop for the situation described is in addition to their normal tire warranty. While tires are warranted by the Tire Company and not BMW of North America, claims that arise from this Service Information may be submitted by participating centers using the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program. BMW centers not enrolled in the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program must contact Dunlop directly at 1-888-637-3784 (1-888-OE SERVICE) for further assistance. For more information regarding the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program, please refer to Service Information B01 02 04.

REIMBURSEMENT
Reimbursement for claims under this Service Information will be processed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program, except as noted below. Only centers enrolled in the BMW Tire Center Target Satisfaction Program will be permitted to submit claims for reimbursement.

The following information applies to all claims submitted in conjunction with this Service Information.

100% part and labor reimbursement as noted below, up to 20,000 miles on the tire.

Defect Code
36 12 02 77 DT
Enter as a "BMW Tire Center Target

? Satisfaction Program" only

??
Labor Reimbursement
$20 per tire
Sublet code: 4

??
Shipping & Handling
$10 per tire
Sublet Code: 4

? Shipment to the nearest Dealer

? Tire location

??
Tires
Dealer Net cost
?
NOTES
Please note the following conditions apply to all claims related to this Service Information:

Only tires that exhibit the specific wear outlined in this Service Information are eligible for coverage.

Dunlop tires, when available, will be used for replacement.

If the specified Dunlop tires are not available, please contact The BMW Tire Center for other BMW approved tires that can be used as substitutes.

Tires which have been in use for more than 20,000 miles are not eligible for coverage under this Service Information.

Tires that have been plugged, patched, or otherwise repaired are not eligible for coverage.

All tires must be returned to Dealer Tire as outlined in Service Information B01 02 04.

Any tires received that do not meet all the criteria listed in this Service Information will result in a debit of the entire claim.
[snapback]142009[/snapback]

see http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B360205g.htm
Old 06-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whihr,

What was your mileage and did you experience the excessive noise like other members?
I've done just over 11k and had an oil service a few weeks ago. Tyres appear fine at the moment but keeping an eye on them.

Cheers
Old 06-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Jun 25 2005, 07:12 AM
whihr,

What was your mileage and did you experience the excessive noise like other members?
I've done just over 11k and had an oil service a few weeks ago.? Tyres appear fine at the moment but keeping an eye on them.?

Cheers
[snapback]142954[/snapback]
my mileage was 19k
Old 06-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

fyi, Dunlop updated the tires to correct this problem (not sure of the date), so those of us with '05 and '06 e60s should be fine.

Quick Reply: TSB for Dunlop runflats