Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Trouble with BMW UK

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In October 2006 I took delivery of a 535d.

Before I ordered it, I asked my dealer (who I trust) whether a facelift was expected. They said no (they didn't know). I also contacted BMW UK and asked them. They said no too (BMW didn't tell BMW UK about the facelift so they wouldn't have to mislead re: enquiries of this type?).

I was really angry when I saw that there WAS a facelift announced in January 2007.

I contacted BMW UK who said "sorry" but were unwilling to do anything to make me feel better about it, despite the fact that I have been buying BMW's for years.

I spoke to my dealer, who offered me a killer deal on another new, but this time facelifted 535d. He apologised for BMW, and in my presence rang them up to see if they would throw in full electric seats (?770) to make up for things. They said no, and offered me HiFi speaker upgrade (?370)!

Is it me, or is this a bit on the mean side?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

It's not mean, perhaps inept, but not mean.

BMW would not sell any cars if they announced face lifts far in advance.

Until a facelift is officially announced, it's just a rumor.

Of course this rumor has been circulating on the Internet for over six months and it is standard BMW practice to do a mid-life refresh on cars exactly when they are doing it with the 5er.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jonathanm1966' post='387181' date='Feb 3 2007, 01:39 PM
In October 2006 I took delivery of a 535d.

Before I ordered it, I asked my dealer (who I trust) whether a facelift was expected. They said no (they didn't know). I also contacted BMW UK and asked them. They said no too (BMW didn't tell BMW UK about the facelift so they wouldn't have to mislead re: enquiries of this type?).

I was really angry when I saw that there WAS a facelift announced in January 2007.

I contacted BMW UK who said "sorry" but were unwilling to do anything to make me feel better about it, despite the fact that I have been buying BMW's for years.

I spoke to my dealer, who offered me a killer deal on another new, but this time facelifted 535d. He apologised for BMW, and in my presence rang them up to see if they would throw in full electric seats (?770) to make up for things. They said no, and offered me HiFi speaker upgrade (?370)!

Is it me, or is this a bit on the mean side?
If you look around here, you'll also find out that the facelift is minor on the outside. Mainly LED rears and small adjustment to headlights & fogs.
On the inside, a new gear lever (AKA new X5) and redesigned door handles.

I am sure there are more changes, but really these are the ones you'd immediately notice. Some members here struggled to tell the difference until pointed out to them (I am one of them), simply because the LED rear lamps are only obvious at night and the rest is - as said - minor.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='387191' date='Feb 3 2007, 06:57 PM
If you look around here, you'll also find out that the facelift is minor on the outside. Mainly LED rears and small adjustment to headlights & fogs.
On the inside, a new gear lever (AKA new X5) and redesigned door handles.

I am sure there are more changes, but really these are the ones you'd immediately notice. Some members here struggled to tell the difference until pointed out to them (I am one of them), simply because the LED rear lamps are only obvious at night and the rest is - as said - minor.
I wouldn't call the new auto gearboxes minor! Or the new 535d engine...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Members

My point exactly. Brand new engine with 17.5% better fuel efficiency!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='387205' date='Feb 3 2007, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't call the new auto gearboxes minor! Or the new 535d engine...
Did i read somewhere (or maybe not?) that the new gearbox wasnt available at launch and that it wasnt due until september?

Back to the OP - I can see where BMW are coming from, BMW UK and BMW Dealers are in the market to sell cars that are current today. if they were to tell Oct 06 (probably ordered Aug 06?) customers of a facelift happening in Mar 07, then how would they ever sell cars? as far as they are concerned it was another 'year' away. at least in car age terms ...

Also it may well be a 'killer deal' but rest assured the dealer is still making money on it and will still make money on your (very rare on the used market late book) 06 535d when he sells it.

So the Dealer made profit on your car when you bought it just 4 months ago, will make money on the new 535d he is proposing you buy and make money on your 06 car when he sells it.

Personally, save yourself money, give two fingers to the dealer and BMW UK and enjoy the car you have....
Old 02-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I believe you're thinking of the sport automatic. I've ordered such and it is said to be starting production in June. Next week (probably) I'll know more!

It's always up to each person to value to facelift as such, but if you're not into the absolute latest - stick with the care you have. There will be a completely new 5-series in a couple of years and I would save my money and go for that instead of changing after only 4 months...