Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Transmission Slam

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

Wrote to both of these guys and just got fobbed off with "We're sorry you had cause to write to us but after investigation we can confirm that your vehicle is operating to manufacturer's specifications"
Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='259033' date='Mar 23 2006, 10:04 PM
Albmag, have a look at the poll I set up on this subject.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23508

It is about 50/50 in terms of owners suffering this problem. A little surprisingly petrol owners seem to have a slightly worse issue than diesel, which does not tie in with the explanation given by ZF.

I wish you good fortune when your new car arrives.
An observation (and a suggestion):

From what I have seen and read, I think that all e60 owners with auto's seem to experience a slight transmission delay when accelerating hard from low speeds.

Either the perception or the extent of this delay varies significantly from car to car - with some people describing sensations of being 'rear-ended' by a truck and others saying - it's fine.

Either - some cars have a fault - or some drivers find this a problem whilst others don't.

My feeling is that BMW know about the delay, but believe that most drivers accept it and only a vocal few complain.

My suggestion - is that those who do feel they have a huge problem employ an independant expert mechanic to write a report on the issue, then send that to BMW as part of a formal complaint.

Just a thought ...........
Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

It's just the feeling of throwing good money after bad that stops me doing that.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='259427' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:24 PM
It's just the feeling of throwing good money after bad that stops me doing that.
I do understand! At the end of the day your the customer and you shouldn't have to jump through hoops, but... by the sound of it BMW don't accept that there is a 'problem' with the way the gearbox performs.

Quite often in my working life I come up with technical 'fit for purpose' arguments. The usual protocol is to invite the manufacturer to comment and advise on a problem and if they claim the problem doesn't exist and you want to take it further the only option is to commission an independant report.

Another question - have you managed to drive another e60 that doesn't slam?

If you can find one - then you will find it much easier to prove that yours ain't right.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

Originally Posted by KAF' post='259033' date='Mar 23 2006, 11:04 PM
Albmag, have a look at the poll I set up on this subject.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23508

It is about 50/50 in terms of owners suffering this problem. A little surprisingly petrol owners seem to have a slightly worse issue than diesel, which does not tie in with the explanation given by ZF.

I wish you good fortune when your new car arrives.
Thanks KAF, I also hope so...

I'll check it while leaving the Dealer with the car. If it shows the problem, it will not leave for sure the Dealer premisses...

I'll check it with the rest of my colleagues that also drive E60s/E61s.

But one thing in this process is quite strange to me.
Clearly this is a problem from a BMW supplier: ZF. I know that BMW does not treat its suppliers in such an bad way as the others OEM do, but doesn't this fact give BMW the power to demand a Solution???
In the limit to pass the costs of it to ZF...

After all the problem is not new.
For sure BMW already knew the problems suffered by Jaguar with the same gearbox.
If BMW didn't knew, somebody in M?nchen Central Purchasing is not making its job properly)...
Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I will go out on a limb here and disagree with most of you. I have a 545i that has slammed maybe once a month since I owned it. It really doesn't bother me that much. I guarantee you that those driving sticks grind your gears or miss a shift more often than most of you are getting a transmission slam.

Does it bother me? A little, but not enough to obsess over it or sell an otherwise great car for something else that undoubtedly will have a different and equally annoying quirk.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='259552' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:44 PM
I will go out on a limb here and disagree with most of you. I have a 545i that has slammed maybe once a month since I owned it. It really doesn't bother me that much. I guarantee you that those driving sticks grind your gears or miss a shift more often than most of you are getting a transmission slam.

Does it bother me? A little, but not enough to obsess over it or sell an otherwise great car for something else that undoubtedly will have a different and equally annoying quirk.
I agree, mostly... It is generally just annoying, but when it catches you by surprise, it can be a real scary experience. It is certainly not enough to deter me from continued ownership or a future purchase but... it is pretty outrageous that a car of this caliber and expense should have a problem like this that continues to go unaddressed.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

You sound as if you're trying to convince yourselves that although you're disappointed it's OK.

It is not OK - you've paid a lot of money, and it is not too much to ask that it is right, BMW are a good engineering company and they can do it right - simple as.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Oscar' post='260476' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:40 AM
You sound as if you're trying to convince yourselves that although you're disappointed it's OK.

It is not OK - you've paid a lot of money, and it is not too much to ask that it is right, BMW are a good engineering company and they can do it right - simple as.
I'm not sure this is the case - it seems to me that some drivers must be experiencing this worse than others.

I recognise the symptoms described and they do appear in my car, but it is in no way dangerous (once you get used to the behaviour of the gearbox) and does not affect driving enjoyment.

Personally, I think the more badly affected cars have a fault. Have the people experiencing this replicated it in loan cars / other peoples e60's as well?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Has the dust settled on this topic...??
Anyone had a ZF report and BMW follow-up..

I still have the problem......This thread seemed most useful some months ago!

Quick Reply: Transmission Slam