Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Transmission Slam

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:38 PM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

If I pull away slowly its as if the car is in neutral, as the revs build it selects the gear which slams in after a delay of only about a second or maybe slightly more. It only seems to be when i'm moving slowly, and it doesnt always do it.

That is exactly the problem I get, also occurs when trying to pull away quickly from rest.
Do not notice the problem in DS or manual.
Also when accelerating hard from slow speed there is a delay in picking up the drive, almost like clutch slip for a second or two.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i MSport Auto, June 05, Silver, Black dakota leather, Hi-fi, Media package, Electric folding mirrors, Maple wood

After reading Oscar's original post he and talked by email. I had a highly specced E61 530d on order, due March, so contacted BMW UK and my supplying dealer. BMW UK were really helpful and suggested an extended test drive but claimed to know nothing of transmission slam. My dealer (who were ordering the car as a demonstrator and passing on the extra discount) got cold feet when I started asking about this characteristic and then refused to order the car with Amethyst leather in case I didn't ultimately take it. This in spite of a ?1000 deposit and having bought 2 cars from them previously! In the end they have ordered 2 cars - one with grey leather and the other black - but I really don't want these colours.

So now, following Oscar's post I have cancelled the order. Not sure if this is the first cancelled order arising from the forum but I can tell you I am relieved. It was becoming a real worry all this talk about software upgrades, slow idrive etc etc. I loved my E39 and would have been so disappointed for the E61 to have failed to measure up.

I've agreed with my wife to buy her a Land Rover Discovery and I will be using her Mercedes C320 Estate.

So, after 4 BMWs, I am shortly to be BMW-less for the first time since 1994...and it is a bit disappointing really.

Nick
Old 02-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d 2005

These are exactly what I had with older software version;

'Mine used to 'thunk' when slowing down from 2nd to 1st'

and

' If I pull away slowly its as if the car is in neutral, as the revs build it selects the gear which slams in after a delay of only about a second or maybe slightly more. It only seems to be when i'm moving slowly, and it doesnt always do it.'

With CIP 20.01 the first problem is gone, but the second is worse than ever.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:49 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Following a PUMA by my dealer, BMW had us do back to back drives in my car and a demo of the same age, couldn't get it to slam on the drive, but the demo car had a noticeably smoother change through the box than mine.

It seemed to make a better job of co-ordinating the engine speeed, revs and gear selection.

The Workshop manager is sending this back to BMW, so lets see what thier next suggestion is.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

My car is in today as discussed in the thread earlier, (overnight infact) and it is getting a reprogramme. I'll make sure I ask what version when I pick her up in the morning. Mixed feelings as ive seen some negs relating to latest CIP in some of the threads. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='236276' date='Feb 7 2006, 07:37 PM
My car is in today as discussed in the thread earlier, (overnight infact) and it is getting a reprogramme. I'll make sure I ask what version when I pick her up in the morning. Mixed feelings as ive seen some negs relating to latest CIP in some of the threads. Fingers crossed.
Cip 20 installed today...no slam to report as yet. Seems smoother in change maybe psychological.. Fingers crossed
Old 02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

If indeed the latest CIP has been programmed..it hasnt stopped it happening. So forget my last post, I'm sad to say that I'm still getting the delay, then the gear kicking in when pulling away, if anything i noticed it more....any similar feedback out there.

Dealer says I have CIP 20.01
Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d 2005

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='240177' date='Feb 14 2006, 07:50 PM
If indeed the latest CIP has been programmed..it hasnt stopped it happening. So forget my last post, I'm sad to say that I'm still getting the delay, then the gear kicking in when pulling away, if anything i noticed it more....any similar feedback out there.

Dealer says I have CIP 20.01
Same here, it's worse with CIP 20.01 than with earlier version.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by J-535D' post='240200' date='Feb 14 2006, 08:24 PM
Same here, it's worse with CIP 20.01 than with earlier version.
After my disapointment I called the dealer today, he didnt seem surprised and said that he wants it in on the 6th March for 3 days. Will organise a loaner for the duration. When I described the lag up and down the box (up to 30mph) and the "snatch" after delay which happens sometimes when pulling away, he said "I know exactly what you mean".

So I think they know that 20.01 is a backward step....who knows what they have planned.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Silver Grey Met, Black Leather, popular wood, premium package, cold weather package, sport package, nav, shades, 50% tint entire car, Proline Styling clear bra...e60 M5 on order production date in Jan 06.
Smile

mine has been updated time and time again....still slams!!!! had an M5 on order...im getting a carerra S...tired of it!

Quick Reply: Transmission Slam