Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Trade-in w/ Lease?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for all the great info on these forums.

I'm about to buy my first BMW (a 2008 535i) and am interested in leasing (I've always purchased in the past). I have a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T with 52K miles on it to trade in, which the Kelly Blue Book says has a $14K trade in value.

I've learned from these forums, that it would not be wise to use the trade-in value to get my adj cap value down (I'd lose money if I had to get out of the lease early, etc...). So that leads me to my question...

If I lease the full value of the vehicle from a BMW dealer, can I still trade in my Audi? Will the dealer cut me a check for the trade-in value? I know I might be able to get a bit more $$$ by selling the car privately, but I may not want to deal with the hassle. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Jason,

Yes, you can trade your car in and have the dealer cut you a check. I was going to do exactly the same thing, and had an offer from the dealer to cut a check for the trade in value of my car. I did not go ahead with the deal, but it does show that they will do this.

You already indicated you are aware you would do better selling your car outright, but the hassle is not worth it to you. So, if you can make a good deal on the lease and get a decent trade in on your car, I would just take the check from the dealer, bank it, and do a no money down lease with multiple security deposits to get the money factor down.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

A little advice, you will not get anything near KBB trade-in value. Unless you are very lucky. They will most likely low-ball the hell out of the trade-in offer.

I would sell you car yourself, pop it on Ebay or Autotrader. You will get way more money than you would on a trade-in.