Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Trade in issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meatzorb' post='560111' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:16 PM
My two cents worth. The selling dealer should have disclosed the dealer buy-back or lemon. You should check with your state attorney general's office on this.

Second , when you bought the 545i and traded the audi in( audi right?)you signed documents that asked you of your awareness of any of the following. If none of the itmes happened while you owned it and none were disclosed to you before you bought it then you did nothing illegal.

Third and most important: the buying dealer has every right to protect their transaction and validate the true value. The dealer for free and to protect themselves could have pulled a CARFAX and did not.

Question: If the original dealer that sold you the car pulled a car fax and it was clean then the car is guarrenteed. Can you locate the original CARFAX? Is it in a file somewhere?

I would not buy the car back and wold simply says you presented everything that you were aware of.

On the other hand if you knew about some of it, then suck it up.
If iam in the wrong I will just have to suck it up and sell the car myself, but like I said it was probably my fault for not looking at the carfax for the Audi.

The orignal dealer did not pull anything. I asked for it but forgot to look at it after they told me the car was clean..
Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='559817' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:47 PM
If the contract is signed and they took possesion of it then it is now there problem. they should have checked the carfax before you signed it over to them.

I agree, you took the words out of my mouth.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by paul1994' post='559933' date='Apr 11 2008, 05:06 PM
here is the carfax. Can anyone see how I am breaking the contract with the wording I listed ?

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a...amp;language=EN

purchaser guarantees that the Trade-in Vehicle (i) has never been in an accident requiring repairs in excess of $2000; (ii) does not have a welded or bent frame nor has suffered flood damage; (iii) has never been designated as a "salvage vehicle" or "restored salvage" by any agency (iv) has no liens or encumbrances other than as represented; (v) has not sustained substantial physical damage and there are no latent mechanical defects. Purchaser agrees to be liable for any damages seller may incur if any of the above statements are untrue including attorneys' fees and cost.
I don't see how the carfax is the contract. Just the same as buyer beware applies to the dealership. They were so eager to sell you the car that they did not check the audi on their end. I think you have a legal standing and should look into it some more. I hope they don't give you a hard time getting your BMW back because at this point it's a court issue.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by paul1994' post='560193' date='Apr 12 2008, 03:17 AM
If iam in the wrong I will just have to suck it up and sell the car myself, but like I said it was probably my fault for not looking at the carfax for the Audi.

The orignal dealer did not pull anything. I asked for it but forgot to look at it after they told me the car was clean..
At this point don't give in. They have a binding contract and sold you the BMW. You acted in good faith and thats what matters. As a dealership you would think they would do a full inspection and title search on the vehicle. The contract is signed sealed and delivered. Go pick up your Bimmer and don't get soft if they attempt to use litigation terms on you. The burden falls on them now.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by paul1994' post='559933' date='Apr 11 2008, 05:06 PM
here is the carfax. Can anyone see how I am breaking the contract with the wording I listed ?

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a...amp;language=EN

purchaser guarantees that the Trade-in Vehicle (i) has never been in an accident requiring repairs in excess of $2000; (ii) does not have a welded or bent frame nor has suffered flood damage; (iii) has never been designated as a "salvage vehicle" or "restored salvage" by any agency (iv) has no liens or encumbrances other than as represented; (v) has not sustained substantial physical damage and there are no latent mechanical defects. Purchaser agrees to be liable for any damages seller may incur if any of the above statements are untrue including attorneys' fees and cost.
I agree with some of the other posts - the dealership that accepted the Audi in trade should have done a carfax report prior to taking the car.

The wording on the agreement they made you sign is just CYA jargon and could probably be challenged in court. Its impossible for a non-original car owner to "guarantee" items "i" and "v". Furthermore, from reading this it appears the dealership is attempting to use item"v" against you, unless they have proof previous accident damage cost more than 2 grand (I doubt it, otherwise they would have showed it to you).

I you really had no idea about the condition of the car when you sold it, then you should fight to keep the trade intact.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

Keep us posted on everything that happens. I want to know what the outcome is. Isay just take you BMW and tell them to f!@# off.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by JETBLACK530I' post='560272' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:42 AM
Keep us posted on everything that happens. I want to know what the outcome is. Isay just take you BMW and tell them to f!@# off.
+1. Who would the courts favor? You, who are a victim twice, or 2 crooked car dealerships? Hopefully it won't get that far, but I'd certainly not buy anything back from them, as a result of their laziness. Like in the previous post, how can you guarantee the condition of a car you didn't own till years later?!

Where is your 545 now, a bimmer dealership or Ford? If it's at the Ford dealership, go get it ASAP, and tell them to sue you if they bring up the Audi! You will be fine. I'd still pursue the issue with the original Acura dealership. I'd love to be there to watch them explain themselves on that original purchase, Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Members

Update:

Well I talked to the sales manger last friday and he said he would contact me on monday. I did not hear anything from him on Monday.

So I am guessing that they don't have anything concrete to go on. this is the only reason they have not contacted me. If they did they would have told me to pick up the Audi.

Well I broke down today and called the ford dealership and talked to the sales manger to follow-up on our disccusion we had on last friday. ( I stated that I didn't think I broke the contract in any way). he told me that he is waiting for the GM to come back from vaction to see if they are going to persue this claim.

So I have to wait to next week to find out what is going on.

Thank you all for the replies.. sorry it took me so long to update, but I was waiting on the dealership to call me.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by paul1994' post='563258' date='Apr 17 2008, 03:03 PM
Update:

Well I talked to the sales manger last friday and he said he would contact me on monday. I did not hear anything from him on Monday.

So I am guessing that they don't have anything concrete to go on. this is the only reason they have not contacted me. If they did they would have told me to pick up the Audi.

Well I broke down today and called the ford dealership and talked to the sales manger to follow-up on our disccusion we had on last friday. ( I stated that I didn't think I broke the contract in any way). he told me that he is waiting for the GM to come back from vaction to see if they are going to persue this claim.

So I have to wait to next week to find out what is going on.

Thank you all for the replies.. sorry it took me so long to update, but I was waiting on the dealership to call me.

hope everything works out man...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

What's the scoop? How is the Ford dealer handling the Audi situation? I had something similar with a VW Passat that I bought from a VW dealer. I reviewed CF at the closing stages of the purchase, and saw and accident indicator (police report filed). When asked about it, they stated that it was nothing major, full safety inspection was performed, etc and only a bumper was replaced.

Fast forward 4 years, trading it in for my new (to me at least CPO) 545, the BMW dealer pulled the CF and the kiss of death appeared... same accident indicator there, but this time annotation that frame inspection was required and there was frame damage both front and rear. DOH! Apparently CF started reporting this type of info 2 years AFTER I purchased the Passat. I never could tell/know that it had frame damage as there was no pull, no uneven tire wear, etc. No inidcations, but obviously the BMW dealer gave me chump change on a nice car with a blemished CF. Fact of the matter was that the VW dealer flat out lied. I have half a mind to look up the old deal number and send them some flame-mail on this, albeit, 4 years in the past.... DAMN!

Anyway, best of luck and let us know how this turns out! We're behind ya!

Quick Reply: Trade in issue