Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tire Shop in Northern Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a tire shop in Northern Virginia (near Fairfax, Mclean and Arlington)?
I am considering of putting on winter tires for my car but feel a bit concern if the tire shop can handle run-flat tires.
Thank you,

Josh
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

COSTCO

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/locator.as...&lang=en-US

Best price for Michelins. They replaced my runflats with non-runflats. They have equipment to handle them at most stores. Call to confirm.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by joshlai' post='513103' date='Jan 3 2008, 12:44 AM
Can anyone recommend a tire shop in Northern Virginia (near Fairfax, Mclean and Arlington)?
I am considering of putting on winter tires for my car but feel a bit concern if the tire shop can handle run-flat tires.
Thank you,

Josh

I am friends with the owner of a shop called Intersport Performance - he specializes in German cars, they race-prep Porsches, do a ton of HBL's farmed out stuff, etc... He is in Tysons. His shop is one of the few that will do a real alignment too - I have seen them spend hours on an alignment. I don't know for sure about the runflats, but I would imagine that he must be equipped to handle them.

This is the address - 1524 Springhill Road McLean, VA 22102
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535Xi 2006 X3, wife's car

Originally Posted by joshlai' post='513103' date='Jan 3 2008, 12:44 AM
Thank you,

Josh
Josh,

If you just need installation of tires you already own, you might try looking up recommended installers on the Tirerack web page.

If you need to buy the tires and have them installed, then I recommend you consider buying from Tirerack, and having the tires shipped directly to one of their recommended installers.

For my zip code, I found Tirerack recommendations had an "upper tier" called Price Pledge Plus Recommended Installers, and a "second tier" called All Other Available Recommended Installers. I recently purchased a set of tires from Tirerack and had them installed on my wife's X3 using one of their upper tier recommendations (Royal Service in Alexandria). They did an excellent job.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

You can also try Curry's

http://www.currysauto.com/
Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I think most shops can do run flats at this point. The main thing is to watch them do it. I can't believe how lame many shops are.

Two case in point...

I was at the local NTW one time for one of the cars. Watching the guy dismount old and mount the new tires. When it came to balancing, he would put it on the spin balance machine and let it run. Tack a weight at the right spot. Then spin the tire again. On that second spin, when it didn't come up as balanced, he removed the first weight and started over!! Obviously, no one had ever trained the guy or checked up on his progress. I wanted him do this three times in a row and then I couldn't help myself. He spoke little English, but I motioned to him to not take the weight off and put another on one and then presto - on the third spin, it was balanced. Big simile from him at that point. But, how many tires had he balanced before that which didn't go out the door correct?

Another time I had a "disagreement" with the manager of a local tire place about mounting the tire so the lighter dot lines up close to the valve stem. They guy told me I had no idea what I was talking about. This is the manager!

I can go on with incompetent and lazy mechanics. The main thing is not get get bamboozled and watch what they do.