Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tire dealer scratched all 4 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Just got my baby back from the tire store after a winter tire change
and found all four rims scratched. After talking to the
manager, who was very nervous on the phone,
he said that he saw the damage and asked the technician
if they were blemished before mounting. The laborer said he thought so?
He finally confessed the run flat adaptor broke or was broke but went
and changed the tires anyway. Needless to say I am really steamed
since I hand wash this car weekly and always take my time with the wheels, which were baby smooth perfect.
The manager said they do a lot of high end cars and was sorry this happened. He then said they would take care if it and to bring the car in Friday.
Not sure what solution he will offer so my question is should I go all out and ask for new rims or deal with a time consuming refinish that may not meet my or BMW standar
Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Sorry about this dude, this is always a fear of mine.

Just hold their feet to the fire and don't give an inch
Old 12-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Since you brought the car in with undamaged wheels, I would insist on replacement wheels. Sure, the wheel refinishing guys might be able to make them look fine, but over time the different finishes will age differently--especially on a harsh environment like wheels. I had a wheel damaged on a prior car by a car wash, and insisted on a replacement, which they did.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by vulcan747' post='205891' date='Dec 1 2005, 05:32 PM
since I hand wash this car weekly and always take my time with the wheels, which were baby smooth perfect.
The manager said they do a lot of high end cars and was sorry this happened. He then said they would take care if it and to bring the car in Friday.
Not sure what solution he will offer so my question is should I go all out and ask for new rims or deal with a time consuming refinish that may not meet my or BMW standar
Hi vulcan747,

Sorry to hear the news about your rims. I would definitely be quite pissed!
I think you answered your own question above: Must meet yours *AND* BMW's standards. If they bring it to a wheel shop to repair *AND* the end result doesn't meet your standards, I say make them replace the wheels.

I know that it's too late to say this but whenever I bring my car somewhere (window tint, clear bra, etc.) I make the service know up front about how picky & meticulous I am with my car. I go as far as to say "No noticeable dings on my car and I'll be looking after the install. Do YOU (the service guy) agree that the car is in perfect condition?".

Not a guarantee that nothing will go wrong but will at least let them know that you care about your car and expect them to treat your car well.

Good Luck.
-CoolTones
Old 12-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I say force them to give you new wheels (BMW factory wheels, not knock offs) and let them see if they can refinish and sell your old wheels. This way, they may be able to recover some of the loss but it's entirely up to them.

Me? I wouldn't settle for anything but new wheels (if your wheels were in new condition, which I believe they were.)
Old 12-01-2005, 05:13 PM
JDN
Contributors

Sorry, Vulcan. Good advice, Rudy. A refinished wheel might have some flaws show over time.

On a side note, I have yet to scar a wheel. I credit the run flats for protecting them because I have made some hard contact with curbs that would have resulted in damage on my 540.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by vulcan747' post='205891' date='Dec 1 2005, 08:32 PM
Exactly where are the rims damaged? And, is the damaged area painted/clear-coated or polished?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Members

Thanks for the support guys.
Will hammer the dealer Friday.
I bet the reinstall on new rims will garner alot of management attention.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

I always change the rims myselfe... I hate tireshops, and other workshops... They always screws something up! :-(

But sometimes you have to visit a tireshop - getting new tires - I'm always in the shop while they do some work on the car, and I only use the same shop, because they know I don't accept scratches and dings ;-)
Old 12-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by vulcan747' post='205891' date='Dec 1 2005, 08:32 PM
That's the reason why should be always better to have the winter tires installed on a second set of rims. This specially with RFT tires that are much harder to take away form the rims.

Quick Reply: Tire dealer scratched all 4 wheels