Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Technical Help re: Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered Jan 11/05 545 Step, Black Saphire, Truffle Brown, Sport, Logic, Sat Prep Waiting.........................

Just received my 545 Wednesday, unf**k'nbeleivable!; but here's my story.

I have a Canadian spec car, which was ordered with the satellite pre-wire package.
I drove down to Burlington, VT to have the local BMW dealer install the Sirius module.

Physical installation was smooth, but the technician could not code the car; due to the car being Canadian spec'd. So, now I have the module installed & wired but not working.

My Montreal dealer whom I bought the car from was hesitant to install the module due to the lac of satellite installation experience of their techs.

Can anyone suggest what the Burlington techs can do, or provide detailed instructions for the Montreal techs on how to code it.

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Your original dealers techs just have to hook the computer up and follow the instructions for coding Sirius retrofit
Old 04-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Members

I thought Sirius isn't available in Canada yet? (per the Sirius website)

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:05 PM
Your original dealers techs just have to hook the computer up and follow the instructions? for coding Sirius retrofit
[snapback]113455[/snapback]
Old 04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Rawn,

You're close enough to the US border that if it only was beemed over US, you'd be able to recieve it too.

If you can order the car with sat radio pre-wiring then you can retrofit a Canadian car ordered/bought in Canada. Otherwise they wouldn't have let you order the pre-wire.

Tell your dealer to get it together and find out how to finish it up. There is a receiver module I think that is required and may go in the trunk, so I think there is more than just software.

You may want to contact BMWNA and ask them for confirmation.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Apr 9 2005, 05:38 PM
Rawn,

You're close enough to the US border that if it only was beemed over US, you'd be able to recieve it too.

If you can order the car with sat radio pre-wiring then you can retrofit a Canadian car ordered/bought in Canada. Otherwise they wouldn't have let you order the pre-wire.

Tell your dealer to get it together and find out how to finish it up.? There is a receiver module I think that is required and may go in the trunk, so I think there is more than just software.

[snapback]113493[/snapback]
See this thread for further discussion on Canadian SIRIUS. Includes satellite maps, etc.

Note that the SIRIUS help desk is in Nova Scotia. They have excellent reception there.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Apr 9 2005, 05:38 PM
Rawn,

Tell your dealer to get it together and find out how to finish it up.? There is a receiver module I think that is required and may go in the trunk, so I think there is more than just software.

[snapback]113493[/snapback]
Check this thread for more info on Canadian SIRIUS. Satellite maps, etc.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...6720&hl=SIRIUS

Note that the SIRIUS help desk is in Nova Scotia and they get excellent reception there.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered Jan 11/05 545 Step, Black Saphire, Truffle Brown, Sport, Logic, Sat Prep Waiting.........................

Thanks guys, but the problem is not receiving the signal or having the modules installed. The hardware (module) has already been installed at the Burlington dealer.
Plus, I know that the signal blankets all of Canada.

Th problem is CODING the car so that it accepts/recognizes the module.

Note: Sirius is not legally available in Canada (yet), therefore I was only able to place a special order for the pre-wire option. Nothing illegal about wires!

The Canadian dealer (techs) have never coded a car for Sirius.
I was wondering if someone could briefly write the coding instructions so that I may print them out for the Canadian tech.

Thanks
Ron
Old 04-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Rawn,

I wonder if the only problem you are having is that the CIP (? the software in the iDrive) for Canada is missing the control screens for Sirius (and then maybe the control for the hardware/receiver too?)

If that is the case, maybe you might need to get your idrive software replaced at the Burlington dealer. But then subsequent upgrades in Montreal might undo your sirius stuff. or wait for further upgrade to the idrive software until sirius is approved for Canada. As long as you would go to burlington for software updates, you'd be fine...

I spoke with the head engineer from bmwna at the CES show in las vegas in January. He'd be the one to answer this, but he would not give me his card!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Members

The Burlington dealer was unable to properly connect his computer to the car.
He said, forget about the Sirius part, I can't connect my computer to your car for anything!! They won't sync.

If any BMW tech is reading this, I would like step by step instruction on coding the car for Sirius; please.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
vulcan747

Originally Posted by Rawn' date='Apr 10 2005, 12:15 PM
The Burlington dealer was unable to properly connect his computer to the car.
He said, forget about the Sirius part, I can't connect my computer to your car for anything!! They won't sync.

If any BMW tech is reading this, I would like step by step instruction on coding the car for Sirius; please.
[snapback]113712[/snapback]

Quick Reply: Technical Help re: Sirius