Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Stupid BMW rule

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

My dealer gives me a loaner and I didn't purchase the car there. In fact, I'll have a loaner next Monday as mine will be in the shop again.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hyethug015' post='837939' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:06 PM
So sick of the fact that if you didnt buy your BMW from Dealer A you CANT get a loaner from dealer A. You must go to dealer B where you got your car from to get it serviced with a loaner available. So lame man....it seems like BMW is doing EVERYTHING possible to save money. Im not even mentioning that every car company from Kia to Lexus wash the customers' cars after service but BMW feels like its not "Green"....bullshit man
I don't think it's a BMW rule at all. I bought my BMW from a Jeep delearship and had it sevice at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ. Not only did they gladly accecpt the car for service, but they also gave me a brand spanking new 328xi as a loaner.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Contributors

just got my car back today from the valet loaner service. driver dropped off my car in my driveway and took his loaner back. The car has all of the problems fixed!!! and it wasnt washed per my request. Couldnt be happier. driving that 328 was a drag and well, i love my car so am a stoked to have it back. i know, it was only gone for two days.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I purchased my car from a dealer that promised a free loaner with every service.

They are new lousy Renaults, but free.

With my old dealer I always did order a test drive with some new BMW model for the service day.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Just a dealer thing, and much has to do with volume.

Here in South Florida, BMWs are like Toyotas when it comes to volume. Thus, you will not see much on the service side. There are 6 dealers within 50 miles. They don't have to try hard, and they realize that customer loyalty may not be there even if they do try hard. By imposing the "rule," it may help to force people to buy closer to their home.

If you live in a place where there is less volume, they probably work harder.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Clearly, as others have pointed out, this is not a BMW rule (although I don't doubt that some dealers will claim it is to avoid looking like the bad guy...)

I know of a guy who purchased a used 3 series (like a 2003 model year or so) from a private seller and gets it serviced at my dealership. They give him a brand new E90 3 series as a loaner while his car is being serviced. Guess what? Because of this practice, he's a very happy customer who is eventually going to upgrade his older 3 to a newer one as soon as he can swing it financially. He specifically told me that if he hadn't "tasted" the new car during his service visits (and if he hadn't been able to "sell" the wife on how much nicer it would be, etc.) he wouldn't have even considered moving up to a new car this quickly.

I realize some dealers may not agree but if you ask me, using BMW loaners to service customers is a great idea and a win win. It keeps the customer happy, allows them a extended "test drive" in a new car which could plant a seed in terms of a future sale, and allows the dealer to sell the loaners later on to hopefully gain even more customers. In the end, how much did it really cost the dealer to invest in this service? Sure, it may be a bit more expensive using BMWs instead of Toyotas but I don't think you can measure how much additional customer satisfaction this practice generates.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='877296' date='May 13 2009, 12:30 PM
With my old dealer I always did order a test drive with some new BMW model for the service day.
Excellent plan! About the only way you'll ever get to spend enough time in a car to figure out whether you like it. I've not had to do this however. I bought my first car from a small "auction" dealership... ...and my dealership has always given me a loaner anyway. The only time they didn't have a loaner, they offered a test drive, which is how I found out I NEEDED a sport package

And that's my story.

Member - BMW Anonymous
Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hyethug015' post='837939' date='Apr 6 2009, 12:06 PM
So sick of the fact that if you didnt buy your BMW from Dealer A you CANT get a loaner from dealer A. You must go to dealer B where you got your car from to get it serviced with a loaner available. So lame man....it seems like BMW is doing EVERYTHING possible to save money. Im not even mentioning that every car company from Kia to Lexus wash the customers' cars after service but BMW feels like its not "Green"....bullshit man
A couple of things cross my mind:

1. As others here have stated, you obviously have not formed any kind of relationship with the service mgr at this dealership. Many customers get a preferred treatment even if they did not buy from that dealer. I would recommend that you join that club. I think the name of the club is: "attitude."

2. You might want to switch shoes with the dealership. You are running a business, and it is costing you much more $$ today that a few years ago. Sales have gone down the toilet, and you still have a large staff to finance. You have the additional expense of insuring every driver, many of them using your expensive cars. You now have to repair these cars and maintain them without any income? You need someone to track the cars; check them in; check them out, etc. You need space to store the cars. You need to wash the cars on a daily basis. How would you save $$?

Saying "other areas" is a cop-out. Be specific; pretend you are in charge. Again, where would you cut expenses.

How do you increase revenue, deal with customers who buy their cars elsewhere, and want freebees? No easy answer, is there?

I don't know your dealership; I am not a dealer; but I know about the decisions that other business people have to make.

BTW, why don't you service your vehicle at the place where you bought it? That dealer will likely give you a loaner. I suspect I know: better price, better service, but no loaner. Life is not perfect; sales and service are not perfect, but no need to badmouth a dealership without asking why they do not provide a loaner.

Think about it.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I was just at prestige BMW yesterday and got a new loaner. I remember the papers I signed had a caption which was checked off. The caption read (Vehicle purchased here) yes or no. But it was the same form for everyone so I believe it's up to the dealer.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='837998' date='Apr 6 2009, 12:56 PM
this is NOT a BMW rule at all. Its the individual dealerships service center that makes these types of rules. My last two, including current car were bought out of state, but I still have gotten loaners from my local dealership every time I would need them though I do not purchase the cars from them. Im not sure how long you are an owner and how friendly you are with your SA, but that does go a long way in these situations. Ive been a steady customer of my local dealership's service center for over 10 years continuous and counting, and I know many of the SAs and service managers, and deal with the same SA for the majority of the past decade. So they do not hesitate to give me bmw loaners any time necessary.

Also, its again your dealerships issue with the car washes, not BMW. My dealership actually built a new carwash attached to their new service center, so they do that too.
All of the dealers I deal with provide me with free car washes. One service writer even gave me the code for the car wash. I simply drive on the property and put the code in. Immediate car wash. It is all a matter of attitude, personal treatment, and a few tacos every once in a while for some of the dealer staff. Sometimes, I just drive thru the service line, hand out a few BBQ sandwiches, and go on my way. No car wash needed. Just a friendly gesture.

I know that I sound like I am bragging, but life is a two way street. Treat people with the highest respect, and ....

BTW, I never, ever abuse a service writer or mgr. We might want to keep in mind that someday, those service writers that I did not like and that I abused might just be working for a dealership where I might buy another vehicle. Bad position to be in. If I don't like the attitude of a service writer, I simply smile, wave good bye, and see the individual that takes care of me.

Quick Reply: Stupid BMW rule