Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Spec Check...about to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, been lurking but now registered!

I'm new (but not to BMW's having had 2X7's, 3X3's, a Z3 and currently a mini cooper S)

Needed a bigger car as the kids are growing and after trying out for size the E60 seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Here is my proposed Spec which fits my budget and hopefully not kill resale value as in the UK, some colour combinations are a bit frowned upon as is NOT adding leather of auto

anyway

530d
Titanium Grey
Black Leather (kids!)
Auto
Sports steering wheel
Autodim mirror
Maple wood trim
extended interior lighting
Navigation (professional)
Advanced A/C (need to have this with pronav)
TV function (spend time sitting in car while wife shops or waiting to pick up kids from school)
Star Spoke 122 17" wheels and run-flats
Service inclusive pack

what do you think?

advice re additions/subtractions??

I love my gadgets as a rule and have always used a garmin navigator but recently sold it, hence the pro-nav (also fancy the wide split screen view)

thanks in advance from a 5 series newbie.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Sounds great to me. The only thing I wonder about is the black maple with the black seats. I just like a little contrast. I'm WONDERING if it'll look like one continuous chunk of black. Just wondering -- never seen the combo in person. Maybe Poplar wood is something to at least consider.

Otherwise, that spec looks great to me!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Maple is lovely with the black leather, don't worry about that. See the pics from my review thread if you're not sure - I'll post more if you like.

Maybe have a look at the Xenon lights, they are simply superb, one of my favourite bits on the car!

Are you a hi-fi nut. If so, you must go with L7.

None of this will help your resale though
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 AM
///M

I totally agree with 555. The standard (no added cost) Titanium II grill looks very nice with the black interior, much better than the maple wood (IMHO). In addition, the Maple wood will little or no value on resale. The extended lights package is cheap and adds a very nice touch to the ambience inside the car. Otherwise I think you have great spec and most of your options should hold their price on resale. Hope this helps. Cheers
Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Contributors

OOPS

forgot to mention, also will add hifi-speaker system.....don't like logic 7 as I'm a hi-fi nut! (Naim Audio)

I'll see what the aluminium trim looks like before commiting to wood but the standard stuff in the uk is very plasticky imho.

? does anyone know if you get the extended voice system with the pro-nav or do you also have to add it, I cannot find it on the option lists.

also, will the single slot cd (with pronav) play mp3 discs, if so no need for the 6 disc changer.

thanks again
Old 04-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Members

It's a pity you can't get bluetooth with the pronav, very nice option.

I like the heated seats, I know others who have complained about leather being very cold in the winter without them up here in Scotland, I'd probably pick heated seats over the light package.

For me the maple trim on black leather looks nice, certainly an improvement on the basic plastic you get. I think aluminium trim is no longer available, at least never seen anyone with it.

Have you compared the steering wheels in the flesh ? I actually prefered the standard one and by ordering heated steering get a nice thick grip making it kinda like the sport anyways.

As others said the Xenons are great if your out of town a lot in the dark.

PS which dealer in Scotland are you planning to deal with ?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Apr 20 2004, 05:20 PM
OOPS

forgot to mention, also will add hifi-speaker system.....don't like logic 7 as I'm a hi-fi nut! (Naim Audio)

I'll see what the aluminium trim looks like before commiting to wood but the standard stuff in the uk is very plasticky imho.

? does anyone know if you get the extended voice system with the pro-nav or do you also have to add it, I cannot find it on the option lists.

also, will the single slot cd (with pronav) play mp3 discs, if so no need for the 6 disc changer.

thanks again
2 things to say about the L7 system (I am a hifi nut too - valve amps, etc):

First, the signal processing on the two available modes is very subtle and you can have an "off" mode. Secondly the speaker upgrade that comes with L7 is phenomenal, definitely worth it.

Originally, voice control was standard with Pro Nav, but see this thread for information on that debacle. It will not appear on the options list until September build.

The single slot CD is not capable of mp3 yet, but that should be resolved with another s/w update this summer.

hth.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Apr 20 2004, 10:59 AM
Maybe have a look at the Xenon lights, they are simply superb, one of my favourite bits on the car!
I agree; the combination of auto dimming RV mirrors and active Xenon lamps make our car the best night drive I have ever experienced.

regards, billb....
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

i hv black in n black out...with maple..i think its classy...n subtle.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:34 PM
stu
Members

Have you considered 124 style wheels?
Heated seats an absolute must !
- By the way 7% discount now possible !

Quick Reply: Spec Check...about to pull the trigger