Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

should a leaking head light be replaced under extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

my passenger headlight has a leak and lets condensation in, and has caused the chrome to corrode and the eye brow led to stop working
my local dealer refused to replace this on extended warranty even though they said its a fault with the part

should i try another dealer?
should i write to bmw

if the part is faulty surely it should be covered on extended warranty?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by russdx' post='813657' date='Mar 11 2009, 12:40 PM
my passenger headlight has a leak and lets condensation in, and has caused the chrome to corrode and the eye brow led to stop working
my local dealer refused to replace this on extended warranty even though they said its a fault with the part

should i write to bmw

Depends on the "Extended Warranty".

If you're talking about CPO, then no, sine I'm pretty sure that only covers drivetrain components, not electronics/lighting..
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='813699' date='Mar 11 2009, 12:16 PM
Depends on the "Extended Warranty".

If you're talking about CPO, then no, sine I'm pretty sure that only covers drivetrain components, not electronics/lighting..

You are most likely out of luck. Now, if you try being real nice to service mgr and somehow return the favor, he just might help you. He will likely offer the new headlight housing if you pay the labor. (He needs to pay his mechanic.)

I could be wrong, but he will likely hope that you do not tell everyone on the internet what his name is, what dealership he works for, and exactly what free parts he supplies to you. I am not talking about anything illegal by either you or him. As an example, I can make donations (from my employer) to local kids' sports teams (shirts, hats, etc). I do it regularly, provided that they do not put my company name out there anywhere. (I don't want 55 other teams knocking on my door.)

My philosophy in life is 'Do not be a PITA." (Pain in the @ss.) If someone does you a favor, make sure you return that favor in some fashion or other. e.g., letter to dealership about how good their service etc is; or couple of pizzas, or ???
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

what is CPO

i bought the car from a main bmw dealer and it came with used bmw extended warranty - is this not the same as normal warranty?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by russdx' post='813762' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:00 PM
what is CPO

i bought the car from a main bmw dealer and it came with used bmw extended warranty - is this not the same as normal warranty?
Certified Pre Owned. I personally would expect it to be covered, my wife bought a 118d that was a year old. She had wear showing on her drivers seat, they replaced the material under warranty no questions asked Free obviously. I would insist it is either replaced or fixed and if you have no joy there then proceed to the complaints process, just keep going up through the management chain until you get someone to listen. All else fails contact BMW UK and make your complain known there. The main reason for buying from the dealer is to avoid crap like this. I wish I had went to a main dealer instead of the small garage I bought mine from....
Old 03-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

this is the WHOLE reason i went to the dealer i even said to the dude, if somin goes wrong WILL U MEND IT hes like yeaaaah LOL
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

It should be covered, ur in uk right? so if you bought used from bmw it sholuld have 1yrs fully comprehensive warranty, and im sure that should cover the light, im gna try and get mine replaced next time it goes in, mine gets condensed aswel.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

headlights are not covered under CPO, go to the bmw website and look at the CPO coverage everything that is included and excluded is explained there.

The link below is for bmw North American coverage not sure if its the same for other areas.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO...ty/Default.aspx
Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Members

Check the warranty. I just had to pay to replace one on our 2005 Acura RSX Type-S, same problem. It was not covered under extended warranty.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by russdx' post='813657' date='Mar 11 2009, 12:40 PM
should i write to bmw
It depends ... the approach I'd take with a car that was maintained by the book and there is no indication of "damage" that a headlamp assembly as a safety component should not fail in fewer than 5 or so years - ESPECIALLY on a BMW!

In my opinion, even after warranty, BMW should help by picking up [a %age of] the cost of parts. Swapping out a headlight is a 30 minute job - so labor costs are nominal. If your dealer can't convince BMWNA to play ball you could contact them directly.

Last resort, check the FS here - headlamp assemblies come up every now and then .. .. or check the discounted prices amongst dealers who offer members special prices.

Quick Reply: should a leaking head light be replaced under extended warranty