Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Shop damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had new tires installed last week and the dealer damaged one of my rims. They have agreed to fix the problem. First they tried to locate a refinished version and couldn't find one, now they want to repair my rim.

Of course I want them to replace it.

Does anyone know what the law says the shop has to do? I do not like the idea that they can dictate how they will fix the situation.

Anyone familiar with these situations?

By the way they left a 4" x 1/4" gauge across the rim.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

at least they agreed to fix that. i had my old weels damages at car wash (the rails) and they never accepted it. they said it's not them
Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

+1

You are lucky. All four of my brand new RS4 alloys i used to have on my Audi A6 got damaged by the dealer, they never fessed up either.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

just wow
Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jonmentor' post='977464' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:53 AM
I had new tires installed last week and the dealer damaged one of my rims. They have agreed to fix the problem. First they tried to locate a refinished version and couldn't find one, now they want to repair my rim.
Does anyone know what the law says the shop has to do? I do not like the idea that they can dictate how they will fix the situation.
It's a shame but accidents happen and the dealer didn't try to ignore or avoid a remedy. A properly refinished wheel can be indistinguishable from new. I'd prefer that one of mine be refinished rather than pick up an insurance refinished one - at least you know it was only a scratch that needed fixing. Otherwise you don't know what condition the other was in before repair! You should advise that the match needs to be acceptable or a new replacement should be provided for you.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Sorry to hear what happened. A good repair shop should be to refinish it and make it look branch new. GL
Old 08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take pix of my car before dropping it off.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by neoe60' post='985683' date='Aug 22 2009, 09:44 PM
I take pix of my car before dropping it off.
thats a good idea, and also do a walk around with one of the "shop" owners so they can verify there is NO damage to the car anywhere, including the wheels. Once thats done i leave my car. if they cant do a walk around at the time i wait till they do so, this is my practice at my dealer to prevent any of this from happening to me.

But back to the OP, you know, you can locate a replacement wheel yourself and hand over the info to them so they can take care of the problem. They damaged your property, then must replace the property with an exact item and NEW, not something just to get the problem solved and cheap (for them).

repairs are possible but since you havent provided a pic of the damage its hard to say if repairing it is a good option or have them replace it completely... either way, goodluck and let us know how you managed

orlee
Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 M5/
Unhappy

sorry to hear that jonmentor and i empathize with you.
i just want to share a similar unfortunate event with you.
a dealer that worked on my car also had an accident while road testing my car.
the good thing is that they fessed up to the damage they did to my car, but never really disclosed how big the damage was.
the dealer replaced the two front wheels and tires, but did not tell me that they also refinished the front bumpers and replaced the plastic guards under the front fenders.

the service adviser kept insisting to this day that the damage was very small and it should not concern me.

their assurance did not help at all when i discovered damaged parts in my trunk and saw brand new plastic fender guards installed in my car which i found out on my own while washing the car.

Now im very concerned that not all damages were repaired. I'm just hoping that they fixed everything that needs to be fixed.
i tried to get them to write up the replaced parts in the receipt, but the SA informed me that everything was done internally which does not require any write-ups in the receipt.

just like jonmentor, im not sure if there is such a law that protects consumers from accidents like these.

can anybody provide any advise as to what kind of actions we can or we may take?

i just want to avoid any future problems with the car as a result of the accident done by the dealer.
thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jonmentor' post='977464' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:53 AM

Not sure what kind of gauge they left on rim, but lots of people buy gauges on ebay. Is it a tire gauge, fuel pressure gauge, compression gauge, etc?

The more complicated gauges are worth more than tire gauges.

Quick Reply: Shop damage