Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Shady dealer story

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to order an '08 535 XIT manual trans, and take advantage of the Performance Ctr. delivery. I recently received a tip from another forum member to go to Athens BMW in Athens, GA, near Atlanta. I called the recommended salesman with my specs on the car and required price, $1000 over wholesale. He got approval from the manager and asked for a deposit of $2000 to order it. I told him that's too much of a deposit, that $500 is acceptable. After going back and forth we agreed on $1000. He called me back a day later and said the dealer had a car already in limbo that could be built and delivered by late November, if I acted now. This worked for me, and I gave him a credit app to lock in the lease rate. The lease was approved thru BMW Financial, and I was excited about getting the car in a little over a month. Well guess what - I get another call from the salesman telling me that the owner now wants a $5,000 deposit because of the wagon being a manual trans, and apparently, a total leper of a vehicle. A manual wagon is unmoveable should I disappear, they reason.

I told him no way, no how, that $1000 is more than sufficient. That we had already come to terms, and I only allowed them to run my credit in light of that. Well despite complaining to the salesmen and his management, they're not wavering. My position is that the car comes standard with that trans, and I'm not looking to order anything you can't get right on BMW's website. Athens BMW wants me to have a bigger stake in the deal closing, but I believe that what they did is as unethical as me asking for a bigger discount after we agree on a price. I run my own businesses, and don't believe in wasting my time or money, and I'd no sooner walk away from $1K than I would from $5K. I'm very upset about them changing terms on me, causing me an unneccessary inquiry, and causing me to start over elsewhere. I'm considering notifying my counsel. Please remember Athens BMW, and chime in with your thoughts...
Old 10-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by jbyrdh82w8' post='481974' date='Oct 15 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm looking to order an '08 535 XIT manual trans, and take advantage of the Performance Ctr. delivery. I recently received a tip from another forum member to go to Athens BMW in Athens, GA, near Atlanta. I called the recommended salesman with my specs on the car and required price, $1000 over wholesale. He got approval from the manager and asked for a deposit of $2000 to order it. I told him that's too much of a deposit, that $500 is acceptable. After going back and forth we agreed on $1000. He called me back a day later and said the dealer had a car already in limbo that could be built and delivered by late November, if I acted now. This worked for me, and I gave him a credit app to lock in the lease rate. The lease was approved thru BMW Financial, and I was excited about getting the car in a little over a month. Well guess what - I get another call from the salesman telling me that the owner now wants a $5,000 deposit because of the wagon being a manual trans, and apparently, a total leper of a vehicle. A manual wagon is unmoveable should I disappear, they reason.

I told him no way, no how, that $1000 is more than sufficient. That we had already come to terms, and I only allowed them to run my credit in light of that. Well despite complaining to the salesmen and his management, they're not wavering. My position is that the car comes standard with that trans, and I'm not looking to order anything you can't get right on BMW's website. Athens BMW wants me to have a bigger stake in the deal closing, but I believe that what they did is as unethical as me asking for a bigger discount after we agree on a price. I run my own businesses, and don't believe in wasting my time or money, and I'd no sooner walk away from $1K than I would from $5K. I'm very upset about them changing terms on me, causing me an unneccessary inquiry, and causing me to start over elsewhere. I'm considering notifying my counsel. Please remember Athens BMW, and chime in with your thoughts...

jbyrd, I feel for you and would feel the same way about the sales manager going back on his word. However, if you are serious about getting the car (i.e., no plans on backing out), have all the options you want, have the deal you want, and are pre-approved for the lease, then you may want to consider the time and hassle that you will have to incur by starting the process over again. I would probably consider meeting them half way - say a $2K deposit...but certainly no more than your lease drive off fee...which I would assume should be in the $2k - $3K range at most? Things like this always "smell" bad, but it is really only the sales mgr. changing his mind after the fact - and using bad judgement on trying to put you at risk rather than the dealership. Always good to keep credit inquiries at a minimum level as well. Also, I woudn't want to risk losing your initial deposit of $1K AND $1K over invoice is a pretty good deal on a new BMW...I know the owner where I'm buying mine and was able to get $700.00 over invoice - but only because I know him. Also, there is somthing to be said about getting your new car in 4 - 5 weeks rather than 9 -12 weeks! Just food for thought as the "bigger" picture is that you want the car you want at the price you want and you seem to have accomplished that - not too shabby!! Good luck whatever you end up doing!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='481982' date='Oct 15 2007, 07:25 PM
jbyrd, I feel for you and would feel the same way about the sales manager going back on his word. However, if you are serious about getting the car (i.e., no plans on backing out), have all the options you want, have the deal you want, and are pre-approved for the lease, then you may want to consider the time and hassle that you will have to incur by starting the process over again. I would probably consider meeting them half way - say a $2K deposit...but certainly no more than your lease drive off fee...which I would assume should be in the $2k - $3K range at most? Things like this always "smell" bad, but it is really only the sales mgr. changing his mind after the fact - and using bad judgement on trying to put you at risk rather than the dealership. Always good to keep credit inquiries at a minimum level as well.
Hey, Hotlap. Against my better judgement, I in fact did offer a $2k deposit today, which still had no effect on the situation. You'd think I was asking them to order a pink 535!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by jbyrdh82w8' post='481985' date='Oct 15 2007, 04:30 PM
Hey, Hotlap. Against my better judgement, I in fact did offer a $2k deposit today, which still had no effect on the situation. You'd think I was asking them to order a pink 535!

WOW - that is pretty tight of that dealer to not work with you!! I still can't believe they would want more than the lease drive off fee (I'm assuming anyway) for a deposit...suppose they plan on refunding the rest? Too bad you are in the Atlanta area, I'd hook you up with my dealer here in SoCal!!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributors

I've always had good luck with United in Duluth, but I have bought quite a few cars there over the last 10 years. I wouldn't budge if I were you....

take care,
james
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Pheesh! thats insane. I ordered my ridiculous car combo with $0 deposit.

The sales manager was against me ordering my combo.. saying Auburn doesnt go well with Silver Gray and that SMG isnt a good transmission and is very jerky. Wanted me to order Silver Gray with Gray interior and Steptronic... Look what they ended up ordering for me with out any deposit...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='482029' date='Oct 15 2007, 09:21 PM
Pheesh! thats insane. I ordered my ridiculous car combo with $0 deposit.

The sales manager was against me ordering my combo.. saying Auburn doesnt go well with Silver Gray and that SMG isnt a good transmission and is very jerky. Wanted me to order Silver Gray with Gray interior and Steptronic... Look what they ended up ordering for me with out any deposit...
hey you're my twin! whacha talkin' bout willis? our cars aren't ridiculous!
i didn't pay any deposit either. however my dealer didn't hassle me at all.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='482065' date='Oct 15 2007, 09:41 PM
i didn't pay any deposit either. however my dealer didn't hassle me at all.
But OP is trying to order a wagon with manual, a sedan would be more common in 3-pedal setting.
I agree 5K is a bit too much I think 1000-1500 are more common. My SA didn't ask me for deposit untill I mention it to him (1 week before the car arrived) since I was the one worrying he'd bail on me
Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='482065' date='Oct 15 2007, 07:41 PM

Haha excellent ridiculous choice! I think we have a triplet somewhere in San Diego...
Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Take your business to BMW/Mini of South Atlanta and ask for Adrian Avila. I got my 545i via European Delivery and almost purchased a M5 this year from him.

Quick Reply: Shady dealer story