Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Roadshow BMW Memphis

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I am new to the board posting but have been lurking for months!

I have an 04 525i that was purchased last September. Jet Black with Beige interior. Sport package, Premium, etc...Purchased from Roadshow BMW in Memphis Tn. I have always hand washed it myself with microfiber only and dried with only microfiber using the products they gave me when I bought it. No car washes, No high speed pressure washing, period! I have babied it like I do all cars I've ever owned.

I bought the vehicle from the lot, didnt special order it. I picked it up on a Friday afternoon. On Saturday morning, I decided to wash it so I could go over it and make sure all was OK. As I dried the car I noticed small dots of white overspray over the entire car. The paint was in excellent condition except for the overspray. No swirls at all in the paint. I was furious so I called my salesman and he said to bring it in Immediately. I did and he agreed that there was overspray and directed me to a Service advisor. They told me they would come pick it up on Monday for the day and get the overspray off. They did and they indeed removed all of the overspray. In return they gave me back a car with deep swirls over the entire exterior surfaces. Basically eveything that was black had swirls. I took it back to them and complained about the swirls and they sent it again to the detail shop. When they returned it the swirls were still there. I had it back in on 2 more occations but they were unable to remove the swirls. They also in the process ruined the rubber trim above the windows and around the sunroof with a waxxy buildup that would not come out and made it look 10 years old. I was successful in getting the trim replaced.

Finally they said to take it to a professional detailer as they didnt want to risk ruining the trim again trying to remove the swirls and that they would cover the expense. The professional detailer attempted to remove them but he said it was too deep. He claimed that it appeared that someone used a brillo pad/steel wool on the car and that it was finished. He said my only hope was to look into wet sanding as a final option. He said only a body shop could do it. The detail shop was not equipped.

I went back to the dealer and asked to speak with the service manager and he basically told me they were through with me and would not be willing to do anything further. That it was a point of sale issue and I would need to talk to the sales manager about what the dealership was willing to do from here on out. He also said that his shop had originally wet sanded it to get the overspary off and to do it again would risk more swirls. This makes no sense at all to me. Why would they use wet sanding to remove overspray when it was small enough dots to get off with a claybar. He said it is always a risk to do wet sanding as it creates swirls. WELL they didnt tell me there was a risk at the time. If they would have I would have demanded a new unit right then and there. It had less than 50 miles on it at the time. Now it has 5000 and I feel raped for not being told the risks. I would have had much more barganing power to lobby for a new unit on day 2 than I do now 5 months later.

So now I am trying to deal with the sales manager, but he wont return my phone calls. 4 days in a row I have left him a voice mail and nothing. This is ridiculous!

Please read my story and tell me what I should do from here. Do I have a lawsuit? Is there still a chance of getting these swirls/scratches removed?

The dealership employed detail guy told me after the first trip in that mine wasnt the only one with overspray. He has since been let go from the dealership (not sure why) but would probably testify about other cars having overspray issues at the time. The building is solid white as well as all of the lighttpoles in the Roadshow carlot. Im sure this was repainted around the time my car was there prior to me purchasing it.

I feel like I have been quite accomodating in trying to let them get this resolved. I have been very nice until now but my patience is wearing thin.

What to do from here? They are not wanting to talk to me obviously! This dealership is owned by BMWNA not independently owned...Feel free to ask me any questions I may have left out.

Ronnie Summers
Memphis TN

2004 525i, Premium package, Sport package, Xenon, Cold weather package
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Welcome rssumme!

Sorry that can't help You but I think here is some who can!

Skaffa
Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Welcome Resumme
Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

Id say take legal action
Old 02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow that sucks. if the dealer is owned by BMW NA then have you called BMW NA to talk to them? Reagonal Rep? If worse comes to worse... which sounds like it now I would take legal action too... Get a lawyer that wants your case and have Roadshow pay for repaint of your car and lawyer fees.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Absolutely sue their asses off. They already admitted wrong doing, that directly damaged your vehicle. File a lawsuit, and get the media involved. Bad press will hurt them much more than repainting the car.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rssumme' date='Feb 24 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone!? I am new to the board posting but have been lurking for months!

I have an 04 525i that was purchased last September. Jet Black with Beige interior. Sport package, Premium, etc...Purchased from Roadshow BMW in Memphis Tn.? I have always hand washed it myself with microfiber only and dried with only microfiber using the products they gave me when I bought it.? No car washes, No high speed pressure washing, period!? I have babied it like I do all cars I've ever owned.

I bought the vehicle from the lot, didnt special order it. I picked it up on a Friday afternoon. On Saturday morning, I decided to wash it so I could go over it and make sure all was OK. As I dried the car I noticed small dots of white overspray over the entire car. The paint was in excellent condition except for the overspray. No swirls at all in the paint. I was furious so I called my salesman and he said to bring it in Immediately. I did and he agreed that there was overspray and directed me to a Service advisor. They told me they would come pick it up on Monday for the day and get the overspray off. They did and they indeed removed all of the overspray. In return they gave me back a car with deep swirls over the entire exterior surfaces. Basically eveything that was black had swirls. I took it back to them and complained about the swirls and they sent it again to the detail shop. When they returned it the swirls were still there. I had it back in on 2 more occations but they were unable to remove the swirls. They also in the process ruined the rubber trim above the windows and around the sunroof with a waxxy buildup that would not come out and made it look 10 years old. I was successful in getting the trim replaced.

Finally they said to take it to a professional detailer as they didnt want to risk ruining the trim again trying to remove the swirls and that they would cover the expense. The professional detailer attempted to remove them but he said it was too deep. He claimed that it appeared that someone used a brillo pad/steel wool on the car and that it was finished. He said my only hope was to look into wet sanding as a final option. He said only a body shop could do it. The detail shop was not equipped.

I went back to the dealer and asked to speak with the service manager and he basically told me they were through with me and would not be willing to do anything further. That it was a point of sale issue and I would need to talk to the sales manager about what the dealership was willing to do from here on out. He also said that his shop had originally wet sanded it to get the overspary off and to do it again would risk more swirls. This makes no sense at all to me. Why would they use wet sanding to remove overspray when it was small enough dots to get off with a claybar. He said it is always a risk to do wet sanding as it creates swirls. WELL they didnt tell me there was a risk at the time. If they would have I would have demanded a new unit right then and there. It had less than 50 miles on it at the time. Now it has 5000 and I feel raped for not being told the risks. I would have had much more barganing power to lobby for a new unit on day 2 than I do now 5 months later.

So now I am trying to deal with the sales manager, but he wont return my phone calls. 4 days in a row I have left him a voice mail and nothing. This is ridiculous!

Please read my story and tell me what I should do from here. Do I have a lawsuit? Is there still a chance of getting these swirls/scratches removed?

The dealership employed detail guy told me after the first trip in that mine wasnt the only one with overspray. He has since been let go from the dealership (not sure why) but would probably testify about other cars having overspray issues at the time. The building is solid white as well as all of the lighttpoles in the Roadshow carlot. Im sure this was repainted around the time my car was there prior to me purchasing it.

I feel like I have been quite accomodating in trying to let them get this resolved. I have been very nice until now but my patience is wearing thin.

What to do from here? They are not wanting to talk to me obviously! This dealership is owned by BMWNA not independently owned...Feel free to ask me any questions I may have left out.

Ronnie Summers
Memphis TN

2004 525i, Premium package, Sport package, Xenon, Cold weather package
[snapback]93988[/snapback]

Sons of b!tches. Kick their asses.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, rssumme !
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

rssumme,

Are you sure your dealership is owned by BMWNA? I was told by my SA that there is only one BMW dealer that is owned by BMWNA and it's located somewhere in New Jersey.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Welcome, rssume

Quick Reply: Roadshow BMW Memphis