Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Rant on BMW Dealers in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

Why is it that BMW dealers are so snuby. My sister has lease end on her 2003 325xi and my moms lexus rx300 is coming up to a lease end too. So i went to two dealers try to get a good qote guess what i was told that to get my sister into a 2006 325xi would cost about $640 a month and guess what X5 3.0 would be? around $700 a month this with a standard $2,500 down. When i told the first dealer why are the prices so high i was told " If you don't buy it, I will have two more people come in who would purchase at that price" hmm....sounds like a 100% sale speach to me ...
Anyways i was not even considering Audi but still went (Mercedes not even an option )....
Great Service, I was offered coffe had about 3 people come up to me ask if i need it help, mind you its holiday season so they were really busy.
The service guy was really friendly and nice, while BMW people were cold and unwilling to work with me.
I was shown all possible options and opinions what i can do to bring the price down.
I am BMW fan always been sense i was 16 my family always drove BMW my dad drives a 7 now, but you know what its radiculas how snubby the Dealerships got. When its time for my 545 to go i might be looking at other cars too. I am considering getting my mom the new Audi Suv when it comes out in 6 month looks pretty nice and everything is almost standard exsept NAvigation and guess what starts at 44,000. While a strip down X5 3.0 starts at around 42,000 i was told so with all options it be around 50,000.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

You might try dealers here in Columbus, if you don't mind the few hour drive to pick it up. MAG (midwestern auto group) is very nice and top notch professional and they have a buitiful facility.

Another option for negotiating is eurobuyers.com where they have a network of dealers who will offer good pricing and you just go to their dealer to make the purchase and pick-up. You pay a fee for the connection, but you make it back in the price.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

<sounds like a 100% sale speech to me>

Hmm, sounds like "NO-Sale speak" to me. Fuggem.

Don't be so sure about MB pricing; they are rather hungry right now, and especially eager to steal BMW sales. Drop in and tell them that your local BMW dealer "Sent you!" You might be surprised.

Ray Hull
Old 12-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by TurboDman' post='214954' date='Dec 23 2005, 12:50 PM
Why is it that BMW dealers are so snuby. My sister has lease end on her 2003 325xi and my moms lexus rx300 is coming up to a lease end too. So i went to two dealers try to get a good qote guess what i was told that to get my sister into a 2006 325xi would cost about $640 a month and guess what X5 3.0 would be? around $700 a month this with a standard $2,500 down. When i told the first dealer why are the prices so high i was told " If you don't buy it, I will have two more people come in who would purchase at that price" hmm....sounds like a 100% sale speach to me ...
Anyways i was not even considering Audi but still went (Mercedes not even an option )....
Great Service, I was offered coffe had about 3 people come up to me ask if i need it help, mind you its holiday season so they were really busy.
The service guy was really friendly and nice, while BMW people were cold and unwilling to work with me.
I was shown all possible options and opinions what i can do to bring the price down.
I am BMW fan always been sense i was 16 my family always drove BMW my dad drives a 7 now, but you know what its radiculas how snubby the Dealerships got. When its time for my 545 to go i might be looking at other cars too. I am considering getting my mom the new Audi Suv when it comes out in 6 month looks pretty nice and everything is almost standard exsept NAvigation and guess what starts at 44,000. While a strip down X5 3.0 starts at around 42,000 i was told so with all options it be around 50,000.
I don't think the BMW dealer sounded too friendly, etc. But, on the other hand, I don't get the feeling that you had done your homework before going to the dealer. I am not justifying the dealer's behavior with these comments, I am just suggesting that it is better to know what one wants and how much one is willing to pay before going to a dealer. If you know these things, then what the sales rep has to say is pretty much irrelevant. And, there are always 2 sides to a story. I have only heard one side so I can't do much in the way of assessing the BMW dealer's performance. My last point is that the worst way to buy or lease a car on the basis of one's payment--with the dealer suggesting ways to lower the payment. You can be sure that the dealer is coming out better and better the lower the payment goes. It very well could be that you would come out ahead at the BMW dealer. I would need many facts to draw that conclusion unequivocally, however.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

Hey guys !!! sorry just had to get my frustration out.. I have done my homework before going as far as going on line and seing how much the dealers around are area are offering the cars for.. In Southeastern Michigan both of the Dealerships in my case Earhard and Bavarian are own by two brothers, the other two close ones are an hour away. And this is not my first purchase if i do end up getting a BMW it be 10th and 11th in my family history. The service department of Earhard is the best very friendly and always have a loaner available for me when ever i needed service which is frequent with 04 545. Now the sales department at Earhard is something to be desired LOL... Well I told the Sales guy how much i am willing to spend on a lease for 2 years the first sales person told me that they dont look for customers so take it or live it basicly, the second dealership which is an hour away told me politely the same thing ... you are right the next step would be to call dealerships which are far away and see what kind of qoates i can get and going through the hasle..My problem with this situation is after getting so many cars from the same dealer ( the sales people keep changing ) i get that kind of an answere..it looks like i am getting a good deal on the A4 i think all wheel drive and all the options for around $440/month with $1,500 down for two years. My sister liked the new 3, so i am hoping that when we go for a test drive she would like the audi too, it be my first time too i never really looked at Audi before it be a nice comparison...Personally i just dislike Mercedes especially you can get a Chrysler now with almost the same technology, right now in Michigan you see a lot of MB on the streets and Chryslers...I guess after all MB did help Chrysler out big time over the past 4 years.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm with Ray Hull - take your business (and future business) somewhere else. Hope you can work out a deal on an E90 but if your sister ends up in the Audi it's still an excellent car.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: Delivery 11/30/05: 2006 - 550i 6-speed, Monaco Blue, Auburn, Antracite headliner, M aero, sport, nav, HUD, cold weather, sun shades, folding seat, rearseat heat and air bags, Logic 7, Serius, SR-7 Detector, M wheels Previous Ride - 2002 540 6-speed, sport, turning in with 114,000 wonderful miles

It might just be the dealership that you visited. There are three dealerships in the Detroit Area. I had a similar experience at one of the dealerships. I then went to a second, the one farthest from my house. The sales experience was a night and day difference. Can you guess which dealership I bought both my 540i and my brand new 550i from?

A side note, my wife wanted an Infinity FX and we had the exact same experience. We ended up going to Grand Rapids to get hers.

My recommendation is try another dealership. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:28 AM
caf
Members

You know that you don't shop by monthly payment, right?
Many dealers will ask you what you want to pay per month. Wrong strategy (at least for you!).

Instead, you need to deal on the selling price of the car, any associated fees (acquisition fees, disposition fees etc.), then check the money factor or interest rate, residual value, number of payments, and residual value. If you need help with this, try leasecompare.com and leaseguide.com. Lots of good information there.

Dealers are NOTORIOUS for padding leases. In fact, three out of the last three quotes I got from dealers were padded. By that, I mean that the monthly payment was higher than it should have been based on the agreed upon sales price and interest rate. When called on that, dealers usually mumble something about some fee or other that they "rolled" into the lease. Think of it this way: if a dealer manages to up your lease payment by $50/month, they're pocketing an additonal $600/yr., or $1800 over a 3 year lease. And I've seen many leases that were $100/month over what they should have been.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

they're all maggots...don't trust any of them
Old 01-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Members

Well just want to inform everybody, end it up going with a BMW

Got a really nice deal, i was really surprised by that but it worked out. Glad to stay in the "family".
With $2500 + First month payment of $520 and $520/month for 36 month got an X5.
And ordered a new 325xi with all the options, with $2500 down and $470/month 36/month.

Just want to share my experience with you guys, its always worth shopping around eventhough it can get frustrating.

Happy New Year to everyone