Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Pulled the Trigger on a 550ia for ED in March!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Thanks everyone for the input. Invaluable help.

I decided to go with the following options:

1) Sports Package - Looks great and the handling is just incredible. Wheels are to die for.

2&3)) NAV and HUD - Ditched comfort access, HUD will be a good safety feature when driving fast
and, unlike CA, will add to the driving experience all the time (bad with directions)

4) Cold Weather - Live in Chicago, nuff said

5) Active Steering - Liked it during the test drives and its a good safety feature.

6) Rear Side Airbags - Why not, a good safety feature at nominal cost.

7) Another Option - Too excited probably missed one for this post.

Its tempting to load up on every option, but some discipline needed every now and again. Otherwise, I'd order a Maseraeti Quattroporte or a Modena 430 be divorced in short order! LOL Was at a Ferrari dealership yesterday talking with service people about installing a new engine in a friend's 355 F1. OMG are these nice rides.

The sports seats felt and looked good. I don't drive long distances and will like the deep cut bolsters. If I wanted more plush, I'd get an A6 or GS 430 if I woke up on a bad day. The comfort access is a great feature, but are too expensive for what you get. Should be standard , so the cash saved goes towards winter tires next year. I passed on the Logic 7, as the standard sound is fine with me. But, I'll take any donations for this!!

The toughest part was colors. The E60 looks great in many colors and the lighter colors seem best to me. I just wished the Auburn was more brown. So its silver grey with grey leather and light poplar. Not really thrilled here, but the car is for driving pleasure and the exterior profile is second to none!!! Thanks Bangle.

I'll post pics as soon as possible and while in Munich will change my profile from CVT Benhogan to Hogan's 5er Iron!

Specials thanks to Stream, as pics of his ride completely drove me nuts!!! And to Evenflow545 for his witty humor and to both Iceman, Rudy, Beewang and many others for the expert technical posts on this board. If in Chicago or the Midwest, I highly recommend contacting Irv Robinson at Motorwerks in Barrington for ED. Unbelieveable in the buying process and he seems very experienced with ED. Tell em Ken from Downers Grove sent you.

Now I need to rest. The wait begins.

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Congrats!! Great choice of equipment! The waiting is a pain in the ass but it's worth it!!
Old 12-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Ordered 550i ED on 9/24/05. Titanium silver, priority one seating (black), steptronic, sports package, premium sound system, active steering, comfort access, power rear sunshades, navigation, head up display, rear door air bag

[quote name='CVTBenhogan' date='Dec 31 2005, 03:09 PM' post='217723']
Thanks everyone for the input. Invaluable help.

I like the logic in your thinking. You got the most important thing -- the V-8 engine. Contact Beewang to see if you can lease his navigational disk -- Are you getting the nav? Makes driving around less stressful with the BMW nav lady directing you. Driving in March should beat the experience I had in mid-December. Maybe you can cross into the Alps. And if you plan a two-week stay in Europe (and enjoy going fast), be sure to check out the Nuberberg Ring.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Congratulations----we'll look forward to updates on the ED as well as pics.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Congrats!

The one comment I'll make is that the Logic7 sound system, while not cheap, is the best OEM system I've heard (and premium sound also includes the CD changer). Don't mean to give you second thoughts, but I really think the premium sound package is a must (and it's one of the few options that actually increases resale, in kelly blue book and others).
Old 12-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Congrats. I have to say that I went with comfort access over HUD. I hear you about HUD being the driving piece, but comfort access just rocks. Of course if you work either of them out, they each add up to about $1 a day if you keep the car for three years.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='217760' date='Dec 31 2005, 05:34 PM
Congrats. I have to say that I went with comfort access over HUD. I hear you about HUD being the driving piece, but comfort access just rocks. Of course if you work either of them out, they each add up to about $1 a day if you keep the car for three years.

doug, can i see pictures of your car? thinking about the same color combination
Old 12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

The Logic 7 is very good, and there is really no possibiolity of an aftermarket system with I-drive. I also really like comfort access, more so than the active steering. But you are right. There is a limit. You will love this motor, and the driving experience is nothing like the A6 or GS 430. Congratulations!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

huge error! Should have gone with comfort access! And not ordering Logic 7 is just plain ludicrous!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by oribmw' post='217786' date='Dec 31 2005, 06:03 PM
doug, can i see pictures of your car? thinking about the same color combination
I've got crap for pictures. They are all sort of dark. My house faces to the North and here in IL we get no sun on the north side of the house this time of year. Fortunately I've only driven the car twice due to weather - so it is clean. If it is sunny tomorrow, I will take some pics and post them in the gallery. I honestly love this color combo. But if I were going for the M aero kit, I might have considered the mystic blue (more M5ish).

PS - if you live in IL, there is the exact same car as mine (sans comfort seats and rear seat heating) over at Elmhurst BMW. One of the only other Monaco blue 550s in IL.

Quick Reply: Pulled the Trigger on a 550ia for ED in March!!