Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Problems Encountered

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 02:27 PM
z

Gosh, I was just kidding about the Microsoft thing. I guess they built up such a reputation for buggy software that I subliminally sniffed them out!

Anyway, I hope you guys all get your 5ers updated. I have no doubt its an excellent car, but having had an Infiniti Q45 taken back from the factory and fully refunded due to serious problems, I'm not in the mood for more problematic cars.

Once BMW has sorted out all these niggling (and sometimes dangerous) glitches, the 5 will be the best car in the world, once again.

Incidentally, I went to a car show yesterday and saw the new 6 series and X3. The 6 is even uglier than in the photos - it looks so much like a hump-backed whale. The X3 is actually a little nicer looking in real life and not all that much smaller than an X5 on the inside. Just thought someone might like to know...

z
Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Tim530

It doesn't matter who the manufacture of the car is - a car with this much technology is going to have bugs.

The IDrive might be an application written on top of Windows CE, but the fact that it has issues or bugs is not the fault of Microsoft but rather the programmers that created the IDrive system.

This is truly a great car.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 7's idrive is based on Microsoft's Windows CE for automobile. I don't think 5er's idrive is not based on Microsoft software. BMW learned their lesson.

Apparently, BMW's chairman on Microsoft's Board of Director.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...ankeNoskiPR.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2.../03-04BMWpr.asp
Old 12-22-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tim530' date='Dec 19 2003, 08:46 PM
It doesn't matter who the manufacture of the car is - a car with this much technology is going to have bugs.

The IDrive might be an application written on top of Windows CE, but the fact that it has issues or bugs is not the fault of Microsoft but rather the programmers that created the IDrive system.

This is truly a great car.
I'm sorry but its NOT a great car if it has so many bugs that it feels more like a microsoft program than a car.

I'm a long-time BMW purist and that's all I have ever driven and probably will ever drive, so save the marketing spiel for some newbie. I am extremely concerned with the apathy towards end-user satisfaction by BMW's marketing department.

Lexus and Infiniti are eating our market share slowly but surely. When Lexus launches a product, you can be damn sure its not going to have dozens of snags that need software updates for the next year and a half or so. For a lot of people that is by far more important than BMW's waning cachet.

And judging by driving my Dad's latest Infiniti Q45, the Japanese luxury cars are not only catching up to BMWs legendary driving "feel" but in my opinion have surpassed it in some ways I never believed possible. For example, steering feel is absolutely perfect in the Q. It manages the impossible feat of having a heavy feel and confidence inspiring yet light to the touch when manouvering.

I've tested the new 5's steering and quite frankly, I can easily see why a lot of people would equate the Q45 to it, or even give the edge to the Japanese car.

The bottom line is that all else being equal, quality and reliability mean everything to a buyer. And I believe that "all else" is going to be equal in a year or two (what with the 2005 Lexus LS promising to be leaps and bounds better than any car ever designed and the new Infiniti models coming out by the fistfuls...)

BMW better shape up or they're going to be shipped out. Remember, it wasn't long ago that Mercedes Benz cars were unequivocally known to be the best vehicles around. How things have changed in less than half a decade.

z
Old 12-24-2003, 05:13 AM
530i Owner

Come on.... Having owned Lexus cars for last 15 years (3 different models), nice cars, GREAT value; and having test drove the new Lexus'and Infinity's before buying my new 530i....there is no comparisonin driving ability...NONE.
The japanese make their cars to go down straight roads in comfort and luxury; BMW makes their cars to go around curves.
If you think they are close, you haven't tried taking an exit ramp curve at 60, or driving a back road curve that is not banked properly.
Having owned Lexus' for 15 years I thought the whole BMW driving machine thing was a marketing gimic...as a new 530i owner with the premium package and the sports package... there is no comparison.
If you said Lexus or Infinity was a better value for your dollar, I wouldn't argue...might even agree....
But to say they are even close in driving and handling....please....
Old 12-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Marvel

Bottomline is, all this technology in the car is making it very frustrating for new owners. This is just the beginning for them. I can imagine three years down the road how things can really get worst when basic warranties are gone. I used to be a proud E39 530i owner, in the first 75K miles the car was a joy to drive and own but after 75K I've been taking the car almost every month for repairs. Take note for the years I owned this car it always had service done. I don't have problems with the engine, it's always the electrical, sensors, software or other problems. It's easy to buy the car but always consider if spending so much money for repairs later is worth it. I'm considering of getting the Infiniti G35 now for a daily car ( I just love the exhaust note of this car) and just use my 530i for a weekend car.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:47 AM
David

Airbags, Screen foes blank, settings get reset once in a while, left halo/rings stay on after I use the follow me lights, iDrive switches to german and Km onece in a while, driver window does not work properly... ETC... Not very happy! I love the style but its tech is very frustrating... I live 200 miles form the closes BMW dealer...
Old 01-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Go get a software update. If the parklights remain switched on on one side of the car, it is probably due to you having activated the indicator while turning on the home lights - this is a function described in the manual, used to indicate one side of the car whenever that would be needed.

-paasan
Old 01-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by David' date='Jan 13 2004, 11:47 AM
Airbags, Screen foes blank, settings get reset once in a while, left halo/rings stay on after I use the follow me lights, iDrive switches to german and Km onece in a while, driver window does not work properly... ETC... Not very happy! I love the style but its tech is very frustrating... I live 200 miles form the closes BMW dealer...
David,

As passan says sounds like you need the software upgrade and new TFT screen as part of recall works. This also fixes auto gearbox problem on 530d . When was your car built?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:49 AM
David

My car was a September production for USA.... There are several issues with the car ... I'm still waitng for the Sirus Radio and the Bluetooth system... Dealership keeps telling me that "... it should be available next month...." since October...

Quick Reply: Problems Encountered