Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

The price my dealer wanted for M5 bumper + fenders. Wait till you hear

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

I'm converting the front end of my E60 to the M5 look, and have been calling around to see my pricing options. I really couldn't believe this when he emailed me back. So I had to share with everyone. I'll quote exactly what I asked and what my dealers "parts department" said in return.

"Hi Adam my names Rocky. I currently own a 2008 BMW 535XI which I leased with BMW Autohaus as of February. I'm looking to get the M5 bumper+full fenders to replace my M-tech bumper and stock fenders. If you could work out a price for me including parts, paint and installation that would be awesome. My car is alpine white by the way. Thanks-alot Rocky

he said "Hi Rocky, thank-you for contacting the BMW Autohaus Parts Department. I?ve worked out the best price possible with our body shop to perform this modification. The parts alone come to approximately $2200.00 (20% discount applied). The estimate on painting and installation of these parts by our body shop isapproximately 4 to 5 thousand dollars. This gives a total of approximately 7 to 8 thousand dollars. I hope we were of help to you and please contact me if there are any furtherquestions. Thank-you,

I then asked him why it is so expensive for the install and paint, he said "The paint and install is somewhat expensive for the reason that the doors have to be painted also to blend in with the fenders. If the fenders were painted alone the Alpine White colour would appear to be off in comparisonto the doors. Understandably, the body shop's job is to return your vehicle looking as close to the original condition as possible. These procedures obviously apply to collision repairs as well. Hope this helps,

Do you believe that BS. All I have to say is.. WOW!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by too solid' post='585157' date='May 21 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm converting the front end of my E60 to the M5 look, and have been calling around to see my pricing options. I really couldn't believe this when he emailed me back. So I had to share with everyone. I'll quote exactly what I asked and what my dealers "parts department" said in return.

"Hi Adam my names Rocky. I currently own a 2008 BMW 535XI which I leased with BMW Autohaus as of February. I'm looking to get the M5 bumper+full fenders to replace my M-tech bumper and stock fenders. If you could work out a price for me including parts, paint and installation that would be awesome. My car is alpine white by the way. Thanks-alot Rocky

he said "Hi Rocky, thank-you for contacting the BMW Autohaus Parts Department. I?ve worked out the best price possible with our body shop to perform this modification. The parts alone come to approximately $2200.00 (20% discount applied). The estimate on painting and installation of these parts by our body shop isapproximately 4 to 5 thousand dollars. This gives a total of approximately 7 to 8 thousand dollars. I hope we were of help to you and please contact me if there are any furtherquestions. Thank-you,

I then asked him why it is so expensive for the install and paint, he said "The paint and install is somewhat expensive for the reason that the doors have to be painted also to blend in with the fenders. If the fenders were painted alone the Alpine White colour would appear to be off in comparisonto the doors. Understandably, the body shop's job is to return your vehicle looking as close to the original condition as possible. These procedures obviously apply to collision repairs as well. Hope this helps,

Do you believe that BS. All I have to say is.. WOW!
What day do you take it in?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Total crap these dealers offer.

I was told it would cost me $4500 for an M Aerodynamic kit painted and installed. I can get it much cheaper somewhere else.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

WTF. 7-8 Grand. Tell them to go F*&k themselves. THe install is simple about 3 hours of work you can probably even do it yourslef if you have the time not hard at all and you can get everything painted for under a grand. and the doors dont have to be painted, if they have to paint the doors to match the paint on an almost brand new car, then they dont know hwa they are doing.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

exactly! quad_m offers the parts painted and shipped for $2000. but i'll have to find someone to install it for me.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I know it seems like they're overcharging and I can understand your frustration, but technically speaking they are correct. To do it right, you would need to repaint the whole car. If you paint only the bumper and fenders by themselves, it's almost impossible to match the paint with the rest of the car. Now that's not to say it won't be close enough, but they have their reputation on the line as a dealer to produce quality work as well as make a dime off you. So do yourself a favor and cut the middle man out and go to a capable body shop with experience painting BMW colors.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Members

Yea what there saying is right, but the labor is way too much. to put on the fenders and the bumper that clips in, only takes about a hour. the paint process would take two days. one day to sand and paint, and the other day for the paint to cure and buff it. BMW i know for a fact does not buff their products after it's been painted, that's why most people will always see orange peel. also paint material went up and they use a waterbased paint as well, so that plays a major role in the price.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by too solid' post='585157' date='May 21 2008, 03:56 PM
This gives a total of approximately 7 to 8 thousand dollars.

l o l
Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525i (not LCI) - Alpine white, M sport package, Comfort seats, Logic 7, Bluetooth, Xenon adaptive headlights, PDC, sunroof, A/C with extended features, etc.

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='585181' date='May 21 2008, 07:40 AM
I know it seems like they're overcharging and I can understand your frustration, but technically speaking they are correct. To do it right, you would need to repaint the whole car. If you paint only the bumper and fenders by themselves, it's almost impossible to match the paint with the rest of the car. Now that's not to say it won't be close enough, but they have their reputation on the line as a dealer to produce quality work as well as make a dime off you. So do yourself a favor and cut the middle man out and go to a capable body shop with experience painting BMW colors.

+1

try contacting Garry (BMW of New Port, RI). he may give you a good deal (25% off).
Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpina White / Natural Brown Dakota, 550 19" Wheels, M5 Rear Spoiler, 40% Lumar Tint....M Tech Kit on the way!

I paid $500 for install and paint!

Quick Reply: The price my dealer wanted for M5 bumper + fenders. Wait till you hear