Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Possibly one of the biggest CPO nightmares in BMW history?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Wow, this is a horrible story. If you can get it from them, as part of your investigation, I would ask for the completed CPO checklist for your car. I don't know if you've ever seen it, but it is a complete walk-through of almost every component of the vehicle. BMW does not take that part of it lightly. The problem is, it appears the dealer has. There is no way this car would have passed inspection. I know for a fact that my dealership missed 2 bent rims on my car. I've always wondered if they missed that, what else was missed? Thankfully, I came out on top so far. Back to your issue...I think if you don't get far in your fight, you may just want to get rid of it. Who wants to put up with THAT.....The scary thing is that I am seeing more of these stories on here lately. I hope BMW takes notice. Best of luck to you in sorting out this mess. I truly hope it works in your favor.
Old 01-20-2010 | 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Your rotors aren't going to warp 3 times, esp. in such a short time. I am guessing that there is brake material building up on them, causing your shaking steering wheel.

I also thought my front rotors were warped on my 550i after just 4K miles, with the same vibration upon braking. Instead of having them looked at I tried "bedding" in the brakes/rotors. It solved my issues, and my steering wheel hasn't vibrated upon braking since.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010 | 10:36 PM
Senior Members

I personally wouldn't trust any checks done by the garage/dealer you are buying from. When I bought my BMW, there was a missing grommet which was causing excess noise inside the cabin. This should have been picked up within seconds had they done the check but it was missed. I would always get an independent vehicle check done. Although it may cost a couple of hundred pounds, this is a small price to pay for identifying many issues upfront and having them resolved rather than having them come up over the next few months. The cost of hired cars, petrol etc more than offsets the initial vehicle cost check.

And, even if the check finds nothing, it still gives you piece of mind.
Old 01-20-2010 | 11:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

sounds to me like the car has had a hard life at some point, maybe even crashed. as others have said time to contact BMW and complain bitterly . GL
Old 01-20-2010 | 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I would try to return this car and have BMW CA find you a suitable replacement. If there are any balances to be discussed, I guess it applies as to a normal trade, but based on what you've told us, I'd not settle for anything less than a full refund on this one.

And +1 on what Dave said about bedding the brakes in
Old 01-21-2010 | 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I would ask for a meeting with the factory engineer. They rotate through each dealership once a month to deal with odd ball problems such as yours. Part of the stuff is attributable to sport performance wheels and tires on the car which are more fragile.
Old 01-21-2010 | 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I may got you beat...

I had a 535i that got ... well lets say it's BMW Na problem now, and got a 07 CPO 530iXT to replace it...

Long and short of it, after 12 Hours of owning it, I found out the Sun roof seal had been leaking for some time in Sunny SoCal, and ended up with 5" of water under the load floor, batt compartment and spare tire. There was a small electrical fire when it got in to the shop and 8 different ecus/cpus/DMS had to be replaced, an new wiring harness,new head liner, trim, Batt, well lets just say any thing electrical aft of the fire wall had to be replaced and rewired....

Parts $3k+ in parts and 25 DAYS worth of labor, and still every thing was not finished, took another week back in the shop to fix some wagon specific issues (Power tail gate,power load cover ,trim). I had the car for less than 12 hours before I discovered this, and it was a CPO, the wiring connections in the rear of the car were all corroded and had been for some time according to the engineers and mechanics. NICE!

Nice way to start off the replacement for a Lemon....I've had the car for 3 months now , yet have only been able to drive it for the past month, on the plus side any tsb's and upgraded parts have all been installed, new Breaks and tires ( gift from NA), all the current DMS upgrades, a new Batt, and new carpeting ,trim and head liner have all be installed under BMW's watch.... and I've only had to pay for one month of ownership.... So basically I have a factory refresh 07 wagon.

My wife says she will kill me if I look at another BMW... f10 M5? any one....
Old 01-21-2010 | 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='1094566' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:17 PM
If there is BMW CA id get ahold of them immediately
+1 It's time to get BMW corporate involved!
Old 01-21-2010 | 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Did anyone drive the car without u? Maybe your kids or wife have a secret they are keeping from you?

Possibly one of the biggest CPO nightmares in BMW history?-subaru_jump_snow.jpg

But in a 550...

Good luck man, this situation is terrible.. an endless money pit. You pay a little more for CPO BMW, then everything that goes wrong isn't covered. Def complain non-stop to whoever you can.
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='1094762
I may got you beat...

I had a 535i that got ... well lets say it's BMW Na problem now, and got a 07 CPO 530iXT to replace it...

Long and short of it, after 12 Hours of owning it, I found out the Sun roof seal had been leaking for some time in Sunny SoCal, and ended up with 5" of water under the load floor, batt compartment and spare tire. There was a small electrical fire when it got in to the shop and 8 different ecus/cpus/DMS had to be replaced, an new wiring harness,new head liner, trim, Batt, well lets just say any thing electrical aft of the fire wall had to be replaced and rewired....

Parts $3k+ in parts and 25 DAYS worth of labor, and still every thing was not finished, took another week back in the shop to fix some wagon specific issues (Power tail gate,power load cover ,trim). I had the car for less than 12 hours before I discovered this, and it was a CPO, the wiring connections in the rear of the car were all corroded and had been for some time according to the engineers and mechanics. NICE!

Nice way to start off the replacement for a Lemon....I've had the car for 3 months now , yet have only been able to drive it for the past month, on the plus side any tsb's and upgraded parts have all been installed, new Breaks and tires ( gift from NA), all the current DMS upgrades, a new Batt, and new carpeting ,trim and head liner have all be installed under BMW's watch.... and I've only had to pay for one month of ownership.... So basically I have a factory refresh 07 wagon.

My wife says she will kill me if I look at another BMW... f10 M5? any one....
wow...that's a horror story...but it sounds like it's been somewhat resolved...right?

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1094883
Did anyone drive the car without u? Maybe your kids or wife have a secret they are keeping from you?

Attachment 97648

But in a 550...

Good luck man, this situation is terrible.. an endless money pit. You pay a little more for CPO BMW, then everything that goes wrong isn't covered. Def complain non-stop to whoever you can.
My kids are 4 and 1...so I hope they haven't been driving it !!! lol and if they did that would explain all the problems I'm having...I think my 4 year old son wouldn't know any better than to go around pot holes with my 19" rims !! lol

Quick Reply: Possibly one of the biggest CPO nightmares in BMW history?