Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Possibly one of the biggest CPO nightmares in BMW history?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:36 PM
Senior Members

I purchased a CPO 2006 550i mid July of 2009 after returning my 2007 530i from it?s 3 year lease. The car was sold to me by the same salesperson who had originally sold me the 530i and the deal went down pretty quickly since I was returning the leased vehicle and I needed a replacement fast.

When I took delivery of the car the salesperson went for a drive with me and we both noticed vibrations in the steering wheel and scratches on the rear bumper. It was decided I would return the car at the dealer and it would be sent out to the body shop to have the bumper repaired and the vibrations looked at.

They determined the front rotors were out of round (warped) and replaced them. Other issues were also dealt with such as cigarette lighter inoperative, comfort access remote inoperative, driver side window trim lifting. While in the shop they also discovered a nail in the rear tire so a new one was purchased and fitted.

A month later the car started to vibrate again and the front bumper was loose. They found that the rear driver rim had cracks in multiple places and the tire was worn to the thread only on the inside edge (new tire). A new rim and tire was fitted and balanced and they performed a 4 wheel alignment. They also found that 2 screws were missing from the front bumper and put them back in.

3 Months later the car is taken back to the dealer for vibrations. They find that the front thrust rods are loose and they are replaced. The front rotors are once again warped and replaced. The rear passenger rim is bent and sent out to be fixed. They also discover that the rear driver and front passenger rims are bent as well. The exhaust heat shield is loose so they secure it.

1 week later, the vibrations return. The front rotors are warped again.

In total there?s been:
-4 bent rims (one of which was brand new, dealer replaced and bent again)
-3 sets of front rotors
-Faulty front thrust rods
-2 tires damaged
-Scratched rear bumper
-Loose front bumper
-Inoperative comfort access
-Inoperative lighter socket
-Inoperative rear heater vents
-Loose exhaust shield

All this in 5 months!! The car has spent a total of 2 months in the dealership throughout all these issues so I?ve driven it just under 4 months in the 6 I?ve owned it.

This is my second E60 with the M-Sport pack and M172 rims and I didn?t have a single bent rim or warped rotor in the 3 years I leased the 530.
I?ve tried to discuss all this with the dealer and suggest that there may be an underlying problem that is causing all the bent rims/warped rotors/faulty thrust rods but they believe it?s a mixture of bad luck and coincidence! I?ve tried to have a sit down with the salesperson and management and they simply don?t return my calls and keep ignoring me. I?ve even had some folks at the dealership laugh at me and ask ?wow ! what are you doing to this car!? ???wtf ??

I can't understand how this car was CPO'd and so many issues were missed? Not to mention that looking at service reports dating back to before my purchased I see notes stating that all 4 wheels are bent...the front was repaired because it was "smashed", defective seat belts and other stuff!

I?m at a loss?.I need you?re feedback guys. I?ve been on this forum since 2006 and I now come and ask for your help?please get involved in this thread?I need all the support I can get.
Old 01-20-2010 | 04:42 PM
Members

Its just one of these bad luck cars i guess.. hopefully bmw sort things out properly where you dont have to see another SA's face for a long time. make sure they fix everything for free as you should have warranty and plus as you said that it had these problems before you bought it, if they start becoming iffy with you just do what i would do burn the stealership lol.

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:44 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Man that sucks.....hope you get it all sorted out...
Old 01-20-2010 | 04:44 PM
Senior Members

do guys have something like 'lemon law'?
Not sure if it would apply to a CPO though, but then again, CPOs are delear certified.
Old 01-20-2010 | 05:15 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

In the US there is a BMW of North America that you can call and file complaints. Does Canada have anything like this?

Michael
Old 01-20-2010 | 05:17 PM
Contributors

If there is BMW CA id get ahold of them immediately
Old 01-20-2010 | 05:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darkboyz68' post='1094525
In the US there is a BMW of North America that you can call and file complaints. Does Canada have anything like this?

Yes...we have BMW Canada. I'm currently putting together a file so I can approach BMW prepared.

Michael

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='1094566' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:17 PM
If there is BMW CA id get ahold of them immediately
I've pretty much reached that stage!
Old 01-20-2010 | 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

BMW Canada
920 Champlain Court
Whitby, Ontario
L1N 6K9

Phone: 1-800-567-2691*
Fax: 905-428-5410
Hours of operation: Our bilingual customer service representatives are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 8:00pm, and Friday from 9:00am to 6:00pm (Eastern time).

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='1094568' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:19 PM
I've pretty much reached that stage!
Old 01-20-2010 | 07:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

There is no point to keep replacing the rotors, they need to find the root cause, maybe a bad brake booster or calipers or kinked brake lines, its almost like your brakes are always touching the rotors. What happens after the CPO? you need to pay for these rotor replacement yourself.

This is pretty ridiculous, have you had an independent shop look for body damage, with all the screws missing and loose parts its almost like the car was in an accident or was launched of a hill or something.

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='1094515' date='Jan 20 2010, 08:36 PM
I purchased a CPO 2006 550i mid July of 2009 after returning my 2007 530i from it?s 3 year lease. The car was sold to me by the same salesperson who had originally sold me the 530i and the deal went down pretty quickly since I was returning the leased vehicle and I needed a replacement fast.

When I took delivery of the car the salesperson went for a drive with me and we both noticed vibrations in the steering wheel and scratches on the rear bumper. It was decided I would return the car at the dealer and it would be sent out to the body shop to have the bumper repaired and the vibrations looked at.

They determined the front rotors were out of round (warped) and replaced them. Other issues were also dealt with such as cigarette lighter inoperative, comfort access remote inoperative, driver side window trim lifting. While in the shop they also discovered a nail in the rear tire so a new one was purchased and fitted.

A month later the car started to vibrate again and the front bumper was loose. They found that the rear driver rim had cracks in multiple places and the tire was worn to the thread only on the inside edge (new tire). A new rim and tire was fitted and balanced and they performed a 4 wheel alignment. They also found that 2 screws were missing from the front bumper and put them back in.

3 Months later the car is taken back to the dealer for vibrations. They find that the front thrust rods are loose and they are replaced. The front rotors are once again warped and replaced. The rear passenger rim is bent and sent out to be fixed. They also discover that the rear driver and front passenger rims are bent as well. The exhaust heat shield is loose so they secure it.

1 week later, the vibrations return. The front rotors are warped again.

In total there?s been:
-4 bent rims (one of which was brand new, dealer replaced and bent again)
-3 sets of front rotors
-Faulty front thrust rods
-2 tires damaged
-Scratched rear bumper
-Loose front bumper
-Inoperative comfort access
-Inoperative lighter socket
-Inoperative rear heater vents
-Loose exhaust shield

All this in 5 months!! The car has spent a total of 2 months in the dealership throughout all these issues so I?ve driven it just under 4 months in the 6 I?ve owned it.

This is my second E60 with the M-Sport pack and M172 rims and I didn?t have a single bent rim or warped rotor in the 3 years I leased the 530.
I?ve tried to discuss all this with the dealer and suggest that there may be an underlying problem that is causing all the bent rims/warped rotors/faulty thrust rods but they believe it?s a mixture of bad luck and coincidence! I?ve tried to have a sit down with the salesperson and management and they simply don?t return my calls and keep ignoring me. I?ve even had some folks at the dealership laugh at me and ask ?wow ! what are you doing to this car!? ???wtf ??

I can't understand how this car was CPO'd and so many issues were missed? Not to mention that looking at service reports dating back to before my purchased I see notes stating that all 4 wheels are bent...the front was repaired because it was "smashed", defective seat belts and other stuff!

I?m at a loss?.I need you?re feedback guys. I?ve been on this forum since 2006 and I now come and ask for your help?please get involved in this thread?I need all the support I can get.
Old 01-20-2010 | 08:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ukamath' post='1094679' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:51 PM
There is no point to keep replacing the rotors, they need to find the root cause, maybe a bad brake booster or calipers or kinked brake lines, its almost like your brakes are always touching the rotors. What happens after the CPO? you need to pay for these rotor replacement yourself.

This is pretty ridiculous, have you had an independent shop look for body damage, with all the screws missing and loose parts its almost like the car was in an accident or was launched of a hill or something.
That's what I keep telling them but they seem unwilling to hear me out and take a more serious look at the problem. So far they've simply replaced the rotors every time around under warranty and refuse to acknowledge the possibility of a root problem. I'm starting to put together a full blown report including a breakdown of all the problems, an outside mechanic report on the condition of the vehicle, a detailed report on the lack of action from the dealership with all the dates and incidents documented. I'll then contact BMW Canada and possibly North America and present my case to them and see what type of position they decide to take.

Quick Reply: Possibly one of the biggest CPO nightmares in BMW history?