Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Possible used E60 purchase, questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1980 E12 M535i, 1993 535i 5spd Touring, wife's '06 X3

Hello, after initially wanting to stretch to a new 550i 6spd, I'm looking at pre-owned
V8 E60's with a manual trans. I was able to test drive a 2005 545i 6spd yesterday
and I quite liked it, so I'm going to continue looking for a car.

On the car yesterday, I noticed on the window sticker (the original was in the glove box)
the sport pack includes active steering and the active roll bars. On the newer E60's,
active steering is an option. So I have to get a non-sport pack E60 to avoid active
steering and active roll bars?

Looks like the 545i V8 has an oil dipstick (I checked under the hood), when the 550i
came around is that when they removed the oil dipstick? I'm a do-it-yourselfer so
I prefer to be able to check my own oil.

Is the centerbore diameter for wheels the same for E60's and E39's? I have a set of 18"
E39 Style 32's that I would like to keep (offset et24 on the 9" rears), but I wasn't sure
if I could keep them for use on an E60?

I really want a CPO car for the 100K warranty, but is there compelling evidence
that owning a 545i 6spd out of warranty is not that scary? If I get a sport pack car
and it has active steering and crap, I'm thinking that I'd really like to have that warranty.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Most (including me) will recommend some type of extended warranty. Between the electronics, iDrive systems, and the cost of BMW Service techs, it's a pretty good bet to buy one if you plan on going up to/over 100k miles.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by flipwils11' post='621303
Looks like the 545i V8 has an oil dipstick (I checked under the hood), when the 550i
came around is that when they removed the oil dipstick? I'm a do-it-yourselfer so
I prefer to be able to check my own oil.
Correct. The 545s have a dipstick and the 550s don't (although there was some thread I recall that said maybe they did have one, but that it was hidden or not marked or something).

Originally Posted by flipwils11' post='621303
I really want a CPO car for the 100K warranty, but is there compelling evidence
that owning a 545i 6spd out of warranty is not that scary? If I get a sport pack car
and it has active steering and crap, I'm thinking that I'd really like to have that warranty.
I love my 6spd 545, but I would definitely not get one w/o a CPO or other warranty. I have had a clutch replaced, a passenger airbag sensor replaced and some other repairs that would have cost me thousands if not for the warranty (and this was all in the last 6 months). It is a great car and a blast to drive. It is worth the extra couple g's to get a warranty. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 1980 E12 M535i, 1993 535i 5spd Touring, wife's '06 X3

Thanks for the lightening fast replies, this is the type of feedback I was looking for.

I'm not as into all the gee-whiz features BMW tries to push, and when it comes to
steering, I'd prefer to have a direct (and constant) link to turn the front wheels. Just
my personality. But I do really want the sport seats......

I forgot one thing. If I were to get a sport pack car with active roll bars, then can I
still do suspension mods and lower the car?

The feedback about having a warranty or CPO is invaluable so thanks for that input.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

If you are considering new, did you give any consideration to the 535? I have driven the 545 many times and the 535 performs just as well if not better. I think it pulls off the line a bit faster. The 550 will have a bit more pull. All are great cars obviously. Are you set on the idea of a V8? Just a thought. I went from a strong V8 (Audi S4) to the TT 6 535 and I could not be happier. I was concerned that I would miss the 8 cylinders, but the only thing I miss a little is that V8 rumble. In every other way the 535 holds it own or is better that the S4.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipwils11' post='621314' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the lightening fast replies, this is the type of feedback I was looking for.

I'm not as into all the gee-whiz features BMW tries to push, and when it comes to
steering, I'd prefer to have a direct (and constant) link to turn the front wheels. Just

I forgot one thing. If I were to get a sport pack car with active roll bars, then can I

The feedback about having a warranty or CPO is invaluable so thanks for that input.
Yes you can still do mods on the suspension. The sport package already lowers the car a half an inch (appears more but its a half inch). GET THE SPORT PACKAGE!!!!! It is by far the most bang for your buck out of all the options.

CPO is the way to go. The little extra from buying the car at the dealership over private is well worth the peace of mind. I like DIY to on things but these cars are quickly becoming one big electrical/computer/sensor heavy beast that make it almost impossible for the DIYers to do much. You just got to have a warranty because with what these dealerships charge for labor and the out of this world mark up on parts something as simple as and alternator turns into a $1200 job (though you can still do this yourself, just an example).

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by flipwils11' post='621314' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:10 AM

I know what you are going through as I had the same feeling when I purchased my 545i. I wanted everything by the active steering. Knock on wood, not problems and I like it. I thought I would have a problem going from my Yukon to the BMW and noticing a steering issue, but there is none.

As far as all of the other features of the sport package, I would NOT consider a car like this that did not have the sport package. The active roll is great and the ride between a E39 sport and E60 sport on the freeway is night and day - you have the performance of the sport and the ride of a non sport.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Enjoy the forums and all the shopping for BMW's!!