Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.
View Poll Results: Do You Lease or Buy Your BMW?
Buy
58.89%
Lease
41.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do You Lease or Buy Your BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by sdente' post='212185
then buy them at the end of the term....
Me too maybe; if I can get a decent deal. I love my car.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

intially when ordered I was planning on leasing, but decided to purchase because daughter is 11 - and I am going to keep the car and give it to her for her 16th - so just paid cash (actually money transfer from a bank)
Old 12-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='212158' date='Dec 16 2005, 12:33 PM
Good economics need to be calculated as a wholeness.

A car (E60) is not a investment.

It is a pleasure, and everyday!
I couldn't agree more about this statement. I didn't have any doubt in my mind that this car was going to be worth a lot less that I paid for it. Being happy and enjoying my purchase for what it was happened to be my goal. If I was worried about depreciation I would have just invested 69k as opposed to dropping it on a car I ENJOY!
Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My 3rd lease bimmer...for some reason i love the pleasure of owning a new car every 2 years..but that is me..enjoy it your way too!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is my everyday toy, and that's the only thing useful and enjoyable It's worth to spend money on it.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Originally Posted by my530i' post='212410' date='Dec 16 2005, 11:49 PM
My car is my everyday toy, and that's the only thing useful and enjoyable It's worth to spend money on it.
That is a very well stated quote. I see a large majority are buying their BMW's. I also intend to buy my new 530i. But, I am surprised by these results. I too believe that spending this kind of money, and it is a LARGE AMOUNT, is all about the enjoyment of owning a BMW. It like taking an exclusive and relaxing vacation everyday you get into your car. The enjoyment is worth every penny!
Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='212147' date='Dec 16 2005, 02:17 PM
As a business owner, I always used to lease. But interestingly enough, I had the accountants accross the hall run lease vs. buy numbers on both a 330 and a 550 for me. In both scenarios, I was putting down $40K and financing the remainder ($10K/$30K). They took into account the value of the lost money (2% interest assumed) as well as the tax benefits (cars don't have very good depreciation schedules). Last but not least, remember I'm in IL where you pay tax on the full amount of the car whether you lease it or buy it.

Interestingly enough, it came out cheaper to buy both cars over 36 months. The 330 was about $2K cheaper and the 550 was about $6K cheaper. However, both of these amounts assume that I will get the same residual on the car by selling it vs. leasing it. My accountants doubted that I would get 59% on the 550 and 64% on the 330 after 36 months - whereas if I were to lease it, those numbers were golden. So to them, their official word was that it was a wash financially - they did however recommend that I purchase the car.

PS - I agree with them about the residuals because I was heavily optioning up the car - I do not believe that options such as Comfort Seats, Active Steering, Fold Down Rears, and Sirius hold their values.
I did the same calculation, other than in NY you get a tax break with the lease as you only pay on what you use. I found that with the same disposition effort (a lease you hand back the car; a purchase you trade it in on your next car) that the lease came out better financially. If you spend time and money on advertising and letting strangers drive your car, you can get more value but then its not an apples-to-apples comparison. Also, with a lease you can release (usually at a monthly savings and no more tax paid in NY) you can buy it or just give it back.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='212522
As a business owner, I always used to lease. But interestingly enough, I had the accountants accross the hall run lease vs. buy numbers on both a 330 and a 550 for me. In both scenarios, I was putting down $40K and financing the remainder ($10K/$30K). They took into account the value of the lost money (2% interest assumed) as well as the tax benefits (cars don't have very good depreciation schedules). Last but not least, remember I'm in IL where you pay tax on the full amount of the car whether you lease it or buy it.

Interestingly enough, it came out cheaper to buy both cars over 36 months. The 330 was about $2K cheaper and the 550 was about $6K cheaper. However, both of these amounts assume that I will get the same residual on the car by selling it vs. leasing it. My accountants doubted that I would get 59% on the 550 and 64% on the 330 after 36 months - whereas if I were to lease it, those numbers were golden. So to them, their official word was that it was a wash financially - they did however recommend that I purchase the car.

PS - I agree with them about the residuals because I was heavily optioning up the car - I do not believe that options such as Comfort Seats, Active Steering, Fold Down Rears, and Sirius hold their values.
I did the same calculation, other than in NY you get a tax break with the lease as you only pay on what you use. I found that with the same disposition effort (a lease you hand back the car; a purchase you trade it in on your next car) that the lease came out better financially. If you spend time and money on advertising and letting strangers drive your car, you can get more value but then its not an apples-to-apples comparison. Also, with a lease you can release (usually at a monthly savings and no more tax paid in NY) you can buy it or just give it back.
[/quote]
Good points.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I have 2 BMW'S and own both of them. Had a bad experience with leasing, will never do it again. By owning both cars I can do whatever I want, make any mods I want. Its only my opinion.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mr 5er' post='212602' date='Dec 17 2005, 04:02 PM
I have 2 BMW'S and own both of them. Had a bad experience with leasing, will never do it again. By owning both cars I can do whatever I want, make any mods I want. Its only my opinion.
mr 5er,

Can you elaborate more on that about the bad experience leasing?

Quick Reply: Poll: Do You Lease or Buy Your BMW?