Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

No More free oil????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The low oil- add one quart alert went off (as it seems to every 1500 miles or so on my car), so I stopped in to Santa Monica BMW for some more. I was told, "Sure, go to parts and pay for it , and we'll be glad to add it for you". I have always been given free oil between oil changes at all dealerships for my last 3 cars, but Santa Monica has abandoned this "courtesy". Have other US dealerships done so as well?

WTF???

They hit me up for $12.50 for a quart of oil. They are well known for being a horrible dealership, but they are the closest one to me and one of the service guys are cool.

Is there another Synthetic Oil that I can purchase aftermarket that will be appropriate? I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

I always keep a quart of oil around just in case this happens. I do not have time to stop by the dealership for an oil top off.
Buy a good quality, fully synthetic oil (I think it calls for 0-30, but check) and just keep it in your car. Probably about 5 bucks or so at your local auto shop.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributors

One would guess that this is a manufacturer defect considering that many cars require an extra quart within 5,000 miles.

I think that your dealer was being a little cheap (assuming that the car was still under warranty). And, there is probably a way for them to recover the cost from the BMW NA, and perhaps there is some double charging taking place here.

BTW, I think that the best oil for the BMW during the summer months is 0W-40.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637601' date='Aug 1 2008, 10:59 AM
The low oil- add one quart alert went off (as it seems to every 1500 miles or so on my car), so I stopped in to Santa Monica BMW for some more. I was told, "Sure, go to parts and pay for it , and we'll be glad to add it for you". I have always been given free oil between oil changes at all dealerships for my last 3 cars, but Santa Monica has abandoned this "courtesy". Have other US dealerships done so as well?

WTF???

They hit me up for $12.50 for a quart of oil. They are well known for being a horrible dealership, but they are the closest one to me and one of the service guys are cool.

Is there another Synthetic Oil that I can purchase aftermarket that will be appropriate? I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.
Your car is a 2008!!!! Brand freggin new! Shouldn't that be covered under your maintenance agreement? How many miles on your car? A quart ever 1500 miles on a practically brand new E60? While I know the turbos need lubrication, that's a pretty significant loss of oil. Any other 535/335 members having the same issue? If not, some serious discussions with your dealer and BMWNA may be in order.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Its 5W30 Castrol Synthetic Oil. you can get a bottle at any parts store.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Actually I think in the owners mannul it says expect to add a quart every 750-1500 miles...
I have yet to have to add any with about 5k on the clock ( with the N54). I'm very surprised too. My R32 , and all my other bmw's used to take a quart every 1k or so. I had a late 80's benz That had no leaks, that would eat a quart of Syn every 450miles... I think it really depends on how/when/whom built it, and how easy you take it during the break in period.

Also your dealer ripped you off on the price , I bought 2 quarts of Syn 5w30 and a bottle of wiper concentrate for $20.
I got that little BMW oil case for the trunk , since no oil dipstick , and I drive just says Ok, apposed to "1/2 quart low"
It has little gloves, and fold up oil funnels in it, zips closed, won't leak with the oil bottle in it, and velcros to the inside of the trunk lining so it does not slide around. It was like $6.

BMW NA's oil is the Black bottle Castrol Full synthetic 5w30 , or 0w60 for the M's. The black bottles are euro oils that are imported vs the normal NA refined stuff. VW and Audi use the same thing. I have seen it for like 5.25 a quart at Autozone/Western/Advance/O'reilly's , but not at Wally world. Some times it can be a bit hard to get so you might ask for it. I know the 0w40 and 0w60 are not normally carried in bulk. The stuff at the Dealer should not cost more than $8 a quart.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I got the low oil warning last weekend, stopped by my dealer and he added a quart, no questions asked. Whether a dealership does this for free has always been a mixed bag across the country, some do, some don't. I have always thought it was cheap of a dealer to not do it but that is their call.

The bigger rip off was the $12 they charged you for a quart...
Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='637650' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:07 PM
Your car is a 2008!!!! Brand freggin new! Shouldn't that be covered under your maintenance agreement? How many miles on your car? A quart ever 1500 miles on a practically brand new E60? While I know the turbos need lubrication, that's a pretty significant loss of oil. Any other 535/335 members having the same issue? If not, some serious discussions with your dealer and BMWNA may be in order.

I called BMW NA today, and was told that "Top-off fluids" were not covered by warranty. While most dealers do provide them, it is only a courtesy by participating dealers. Judging by others claims of loaner cars and other considerations provided by their dealer, Santa Monica BMW cares nothing about the customer. Based on this and anti-semitic comments a salesman once made, they will never again get a cent from me, or anyone I know.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637853' date='Aug 1 2008, 08:06 PM
I called BMW NA today, and was told that "Top-off fluids" were not covered by warranty. While most dealers do provide them, it is only a courtesy by participating dealers. Judging by others claims of loaner cars and other considerations provided by their dealer, Santa Monica BMW cares nothing about the customer. Based on this and anti-semitic comments a salesman once made, they will never again get a cent from me, or anyone I know.
Wow, sounds like quite a charming dealership. Definitely move on to someone else...
Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637853' date='Aug 1 2008, 08:06 PM

Well, it is a German manufacturer.

Quick Reply: No More free oil????