5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   No More free oil???? (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/no-more-free-oil-59303/)

cosmosblau 08-01-2008 09:59 AM

The low oil- add one quart alert went off (as it seems to every 1500 miles or so on my car), so I stopped in to Santa Monica BMW for some more. I was told, "Sure, go to parts and pay for it , and we'll be glad to add it for you". I have always been given free oil between oil changes at all dealerships for my last 3 cars, but Santa Monica has abandoned this "courtesy". Have other US dealerships done so as well?

WTF???

They hit me up for $12.50 for a quart of oil. They are well known for being a horrible dealership, but they are the closest one to me and one of the service guys are cool.

Is there another Synthetic Oil that I can purchase aftermarket that will be appropriate? I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.

jmsod 08-01-2008 10:26 AM

I always keep a quart of oil around just in case this happens. I do not have time to stop by the dealership for an oil top off.
Buy a good quality, fully synthetic oil (I think it calls for 0-30, but check) and just keep it in your car. Probably about 5 bucks or so at your local auto shop.

monacobmw 08-01-2008 10:49 AM

One would guess that this is a manufacturer defect considering that many cars require an extra quart within 5,000 miles.

I think that your dealer was being a little cheap (assuming that the car was still under warranty). And, there is probably a way for them to recover the cost from the BMW NA, and perhaps there is some double charging taking place here.

BTW, I think that the best oil for the BMW during the summer months is 0W-40.

advancedlogic 08-01-2008 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637601' date='Aug 1 2008, 10:59 AM
The low oil- add one quart alert went off (as it seems to every 1500 miles or so on my car), so I stopped in to Santa Monica BMW for some more. I was told, "Sure, go to parts and pay for it , and we'll be glad to add it for you". I have always been given free oil between oil changes at all dealerships for my last 3 cars, but Santa Monica has abandoned this "courtesy". Have other US dealerships done so as well?

WTF???

They hit me up for $12.50 for a quart of oil. They are well known for being a horrible dealership, but they are the closest one to me and one of the service guys are cool.

Is there another Synthetic Oil that I can purchase aftermarket that will be appropriate? I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.

Your car is a 2008!!!! Brand freggin new! Shouldn't that be covered under your maintenance agreement? How many miles on your car? A quart ever 1500 miles on a practically brand new E60? While I know the turbos need lubrication, that's a pretty significant loss of oil. Any other 535/335 members having the same issue? If not, some serious discussions with your dealer and BMWNA may be in order.

EBMCS03 08-01-2008 11:56 AM

Its 5W30 Castrol Synthetic Oil. you can get a bottle at any parts store.

bigbadbull 08-01-2008 11:59 AM

Actually I think in the owners mannul it says expect to add a quart every 750-1500 miles...
I have yet to have to add any with about 5k on the clock ( with the N54). I'm very surprised too. My R32 , and all my other bmw's used to take a quart every 1k or so. I had a late 80's benz That had no leaks, that would eat a quart of Syn every 450miles... I think it really depends on how/when/whom built it, and how easy you take it during the break in period.

Also your dealer ripped you off on the price , I bought 2 quarts of Syn 5w30 and a bottle of wiper concentrate for $20.
I got that little BMW oil case for the trunk , since no oil dipstick , and I drive just says Ok, apposed to "1/2 quart low"
It has little gloves, and fold up oil funnels in it, zips closed, won't leak with the oil bottle in it, and velcros to the inside of the trunk lining so it does not slide around. It was like $6.

BMW NA's oil is the Black bottle Castrol Full synthetic 5w30 , or 0w60 for the M's. The black bottles are euro oils that are imported vs the normal NA refined stuff. VW and Audi use the same thing. I have seen it for like 5.25 a quart at Autozone/Western/Advance/O'reilly's , but not at Wally world. Some times it can be a bit hard to get so you might ask for it. I know the 0w40 and 0w60 are not normally carried in bulk. The stuff at the Dealer should not cost more than $8 a quart.

kscarrol 08-01-2008 12:19 PM

I got the low oil warning last weekend, stopped by my dealer and he added a quart, no questions asked. Whether a dealership does this for free has always been a mixed bag across the country, some do, some don't. I have always thought it was cheap of a dealer to not do it but that is their call.

The bigger rip off was the $12 they charged you for a quart... :(

cosmosblau 08-01-2008 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='637650' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:07 PM
Your car is a 2008!!!! Brand freggin new! Shouldn't that be covered under your maintenance agreement? How many miles on your car? A quart ever 1500 miles on a practically brand new E60? While I know the turbos need lubrication, that's a pretty significant loss of oil. Any other 535/335 members having the same issue? If not, some serious discussions with your dealer and BMWNA may be in order.

I called BMW NA today, and was told that "Top-off fluids" were not covered by warranty. While most dealers do provide them, it is only a courtesy by participating dealers. Judging by others claims of loaner cars and other considerations provided by their dealer, Santa Monica BMW cares nothing about the customer. Based on this and anti-semitic comments a salesman once made, they will never again get a cent from me, or anyone I know.

kscarrol 08-01-2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637853' date='Aug 1 2008, 08:06 PM
I called BMW NA today, and was told that "Top-off fluids" were not covered by warranty. While most dealers do provide them, it is only a courtesy by participating dealers. Judging by others claims of loaner cars and other considerations provided by their dealer, Santa Monica BMW cares nothing about the customer. Based on this and anti-semitic comments a salesman once made, they will never again get a cent from me, or anyone I know.

Wow, sounds like quite a charming dealership. Definitely move on to someone else...

E60714 08-01-2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637853' date='Aug 1 2008, 08:06 PM

Well, it is a German manufacturer. :P

Kamdog 08-02-2008 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='637650' date='Aug 1 2008, 03:07 PM

I never needed to add any oil. I did an interim oil change at 7500 mi, at which time the level was a tad less than full, but not a quart short. I am now at 12000 mi, and almost ready for my 1 year dealer oil change.

calpalmer 08-02-2008 06:23 AM

The OP said it in his post, a rip-off dealer.... $12/quart?? I just had a mid-cycle oil change yesterday at BMW NW, and their price on the oil was $6.30/quart. I think the occasional top-off will remain in the discretion of the dealer and many will continue to provide the same level of customer service as their customers have become accustomed to in the past. Santa Monica takes a different tact, apparently. Find another dealer; you must only have about 99 others to choose from!

pukka 08-02-2008 01:16 PM

Since I have 3 cars in my garage and work/maintain two of them I'm usually at the local Auto Zone at least once a month. It costs about 7 bucks for a quart of recommended BMW oil and I've only added one quart since I got the keys to the car almost a year ago.

It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to the nearest dealership - not to mention the time needed to schedule and wait for an appointment. Thus, its a complete waste of time and money for me to bring in my car for a "top off".

Personally, I think some of you are wrapped around this "free maintenance" a bit too tight.

calpalmer 08-02-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by pukka' post='638197' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:16 PM
Personally, I think some of you are wrapped around this "free maintenance" a bit too tight.

Well said!

cosmosblau 08-02-2008 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pukka' post='638197' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:16 PM
It takes me 25-30 minutes to get to the nearest dealership - not to mention the time needed to schedule and wait for an appointment. Thus, its a complete waste of time and money for me to bring in my car for a "top off".

No appointment is necessary for free oil- you just pull in to the service bay, and I would always be in and out.
The markup is what burns me.

The MSRP for the oil is $5.75.
I paid $11.50.

This is a big Fuck you!

If you are forced to cut corners because sales are in the toilet, don't mark the stuff up beyond list price! It should be LESS than list price! And I assure you, there is no sales slowdown in Santa Monica.

Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I don't.

Sure, it's chump change in the scheme of things, but still, it's getting less for what I paid for, which burns my balls.

This is like getting your weekly paycheck and having it be just a few dollars less than what you were expecting. Maybe some of you don't care, or even have to work for a living, so it doesn't matter.

For me, I just can't stand being taken advantage of.

calpalmer 08-02-2008 04:27 PM

Not to belabor the point...... but where did you ever get the idea that the top-off's were free and in the deal, anyway. I've never read that it is as a policy provision by BMW. I think it's strictly up to the dealer as a customer service gesture. Anyway, you made the right conclusion in the first post - drop this dealer and move to another one. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Cal

0asis2007 08-02-2008 04:51 PM

All you US guys talking about a quart of oil.... I'm guessing this roughly equates to a UK litre of oil? :ermm:

$5, 6, 7 a quart??? Damn, we're getting ripped off here.
For me to pick up a top-up bottle (1 litre) of good quality, BMW-recommended synthetic oil (Castrol/Mobil) is around ?15 (=$30!!!!!) :o - regardless of whether its from a dealer or elsewhere. And they don't do free top-ups at any dealer I've tried. Even though I have the full service and maintenance pack for 5yrs/60k miles........

My 530d asks for a litre every 6k miles or so.......

cosmosblau 08-02-2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='638282' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:27 PM
Not to belabor the point...... but where did you ever get the idea that the top-off's were free and in the deal, anyway. I've never read that it is as a policy provision by BMW. I think it's strictly up to the dealer as a customer service gesture. Anyway, you made the right conclusion in the first post - drop this dealer and move to another one. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Cal

After 6 BMW's and with 3 of them covered under the "Ultimate Service" deal at about 6 different dealerships, all top off fluids were provided without a blink.

That's where I got the idea.

slickE60 08-02-2008 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by E60714' post='637865' date='Aug 1 2008, 09:42 PM
Well, it is a German manufacturer. :P

Are you stereotyping Germans?

calpalmer 08-03-2008 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638388' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:35 PM
After 6 BMW's and with 3 of them covered under the "Ultimate Service" deal at about 6 different dealerships, all top off fluids were provided without a blink.

So then go back to one of those six, simple huh? And, if for some reason there's been a grand conspiracy amongst all dealers in SoCal to stop providing free top-off's, so what? :lol:

w5lx 08-03-2008 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637601' date='Aug 1 2008, 12:59 PM
I never want to give those scumbags at Santa Monica BMW another dime again.

There's your answer right there. I would never set foot in that dealership again.

javelin73 08-03-2008 02:25 PM

Wow,

there is something wrong in Germany, not in the US - if I have to fill in some oil at the dealer, I would never get the idea NOT to pay for it... (it's a German manufactorer... well said...)

So we've heard US about 12$, UK about 30$...

and here are the German Prices: about 45$ (no joke, normal dealer price!) :stupid:

So hey guys over there in the US keep cool :wink:

If you got some dealer doing this "service" for free you are on the lucky side :P :dance:
... and those, which will ripp you, they are just :notworthy:

Just a lead: There are a lot of oil which is approved by BMW - in Germany the dealer can get a register of it - maybe your US dealers can do also... :thumbsup:

luigi524td 08-03-2008 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='637601' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:59 PM
WTF???

Was that the "installed" price? Weren't you charged for labor?

After all, the maintenance program covers all scheduled (not unscheduled) services. A fluid top-off is unscheduled and not entirely out of the realm of reason that a dealer might not offer you "free" oil. That said, you have the luxury or shopping and having services done at other BMW dealers - find one you like and that likes you and be done with the PIA situation.

Last point, there are several commercially available oils that are suitable for your car. And, as already posted, you can buy them at retail outlets for $5.00 - $7.00/qt. Your oil consumption should be monitored to track any mechanical problems that may surface in the future (receipt with date and mileage noted should suffice - stick it in your owner's manual).

gpfarrell 08-03-2008 05:46 PM

Well I hope the local dealer here will still top off the gas tank. We've had the car over a week now a some yellow light that looks like a gas pump just came on... I think I need some free service too!

cosmosblau 08-03-2008 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='638576' date='Aug 3 2008, 08:00 AM
So then go back to one of those six, simple huh? And, if for some reason there's been a grand conspiracy amongst all dealers in SoCal to stop providing free top-off's, so what? :lol:

Thanks!

This is the kind of helpful comment that makes this such a great place.

jmsod 08-04-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638388' date='Aug 3 2008, 12:35 AM

Situations change man. The economy has been rough on everyone. I am fairly certainly that M-B and Audi do not even offer "free" scheduled maintenance with their new cars any longer.

monacobmw 08-05-2008 10:29 AM

I think that some may be looking at this the wrong way.
That $6 quart of oil keeps the customer happy and keeps us buying a new car from that particular dealer. It is really the dealer's choice, but we also have a choice on where to go for service and to buy a new car.

I entirely agree that you should not sweat the small stuff, but when it comes to one dealer being petty and another treating their customer right, I will choose to give my $2,500 profit on my next purchase to the one that treats me well.

That being said, this is not worth getting all upset about. They probably do it to others, and they have to charge more because the customers go elsewhere. Simply take your business elsewhere on your next purchase, and that is the best way to make your point.

bigbadbull 08-05-2008 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='639607' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:04 PM
Situations change man. The economy has been rough on everyone. I am fairly certainly that M-B and Audi do not even offer "free" scheduled maintenance with their new cars any longer.

Audi stopped in the 2007 model year, MB was before that like in the 03-05 model year range .Caddy, Lexus,Acura,Infinity, don't offer it , I don't know about Jag , It may still since it changed hands to Tata... I think Lincon does but only for 3-36, VW DOES on 2009 3-36m.

Gene 08-05-2008 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='640214' date='Aug 5 2008, 11:29 AM
I think that some may be looking at this the wrong way.
That $6 quart of oil keeps the customer happy and keeps us buying a new car from that particular dealer. It is really the dealer's choice, but we also have a choice on where to go for service and to buy a new car.

I entirely agree that you should not sweat the small stuff, but when it comes to one dealer being petty and another treating their customer right, I will choose to give my $2,500 profit on my next purchase to the one that treats me well.

That being said, this is not worth getting all upset about. They probably do it to others, and they have to charge more because the customers go elsewhere. Simply take your business elsewhere on your next purchase, and that is the best way to make your point.

+1, well said :clap:

BMW.Aaron.TeamF1 08-05-2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638237' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:06 PM
No appointment is necessary for free oil- you just pull in to the service bay, and I would always be in and out.

I paid $11.50.

Any autopart store will sell you the oil for less than $6:50. Why do you have to go to the dealer when you can buy it yourself and add it to the engine ?

lmritter 08-05-2008 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosblau' post='638237' date='Aug 2 2008, 04:06 PM

I paid $11.50.

This is a big Fuck you!

If you are forced to cut corners because sales are in the toilet, don't mark the stuff up beyond list price! It should be LESS than list price! And I assure you, there is no sales slowdown in Santa Monica.

Maybe some of you have money to burn, but I don't.

Sure, it's chump change in the scheme of things, but still, it's getting less for what I paid for, which burns my balls.

This is like getting your weekly paycheck and having it be just a few dollars less than what you were expecting. Maybe some of you don't care, or even have to work for a living, so it doesn't matter.

Greetings:

I'm with you buddy. When Harloff BMW was open here in Encinitas, CA. They burned my ass more than once. Damaged my car twice and lied about it. I had to mention " lawsuit " before they did ANYTHING !!! Some BMW dealers seem to think they have the market covered because they're " BMW " My Chevrolet dealer treats me better than Harloff did, by the way they went out of business. good ! I'm assuming you'll won't buy a car from Santa Monica BMW.....duh!

Chromedome,
San Diego

joelk01 08-11-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by lmritter' post='640491' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:44 PM
Greetings:

I'm with you buddy. When Harloff BMW was open here in Encinitas, CA. They burned my ass more than once. Damaged my car twice and lied about it. I had to mention " lawsuit " before they did ANYTHING !!! Some BMW dealers seem to think they have the market covered because they're " BMW " My Chevrolet dealer treats me better than Harloff did, by the way they went out of business. good ! I'm assuming you'll won't buy a car from Santa Monica BMW.....duh!

Chromedome,
San Diego

I was travelling in New England visiting colleges with my son.

I got an oil low indicator and usedthe Nav system to find the closest dealer. Brot the car in and they promptly added a quart of oil to the car and sent me on my way. I bumped the service line and it was at no cost.

luigi524td 08-11-2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by joelk01' post='644306' date='Aug 11 2008, 04:59 PM
I was travelling in New England visiting colleges with my son.

I got an oil low indicator and usedthe Nav system to find the closest dealer. Brot the car in and they promptly added a quart of oil to the car and sent me on my way. I bumped the service line and it was at no cost.

Now :) that's the way all BMW dealers should treat customers!