Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

At the New York Port of Entry on August 30

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='461189' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:54 PM
Customs has been taking from 5-20 days to clear cars. After clearing customs, it should only stay at the VDC for a few days.

The thing I don?t recall is whether Chicago cars go thru the SC VDC. If Chicago cars normally come from the SC VDC, then your car will go from Port NEAT to South Carolina and then to Chicago.

But as POVs, our cars have a high priority in going thru the VDC.
Unfortunately, I can't offer any information about the priority of ED cars but Jonathan, I do need to mention something that's confused me about the VPC (or VDC) nomenclature...

As you already know, we've all been referring to the "Vehicle Preparation Center" as the "VPC" but I remember that in this post you mentioned that the "terminology has been VDC, not VPC, for several years" (indicating a "Vehicle Distribution Center.") I didn't think much of the minor difference and assumed we were all mistaken but found it interesting when I looked at the window sticker of my 2008 and saw that it said "VPC Location: S. CAROLINA" at the bottom area near the 'sold to' and 'ship to' information.

It's no big deal either way since it's clear that we know what you're talking about but I had to say that other than your posts, I don't remember seeing any reference to "VDC" by BMW and clearly they're still using the "VPC" terminology -- or at least they were for my 6/2007 production car.

Oh well, I had forgotten all about this whole thing until I read your post above and saw the VDC reference again...
Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Chicago bound cars come through the VPC in New Jersey.

My car was dropped off on 9:00 am August 8. It was received at the terminal on August 13. It was loaded on the Faust on August 16. The ship sailed that same day. I actually made fine connections. The boat docks in NYC on August 30. I would love to have the car by September 10. We'll see.

The Faust was completed 4 or 5 months earlier in South Korea. It holds 8,000 cars and is the largest auto carrier in the world. That is a huge ship.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='461193' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:57 PM
Whats POV? Personally Ordered Vehicle? If I read correctly... the original posters said European Delivery...
POV is privately-owned vehicle
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='461233' date='Aug 22 2007, 01:11 AM
Unfortunately, I can't offer any information about the priority of ED cars but Jonathan, I do need to mention something that's confused me about the VPC (or VDC) nomenclature...

As you already know, we've all been referring to the "Vehicle Preparation Center" as the "VPC" but I remember that in this post you mentioned that the "terminology has been VDC, not VPC, for several years" (indicating a "Vehicle Distribution Center.") I didn't think much of the minor difference and assumed we were all mistaken but found it interesting when I looked at the window sticker of my 2008 and saw that it said "VPC Location: S. CAROLINA" at the bottom area near the 'sold to' and 'ship to' information.

It's no big deal either way since it's clear that we know what you're talking about but I had to say that other than your posts, I don't remember seeing any reference to "VDC" by BMW and clearly they're still using the "VPC" terminology -- or at least they were for my 6/2007 production car.

Oh well, I had forgotten all about this whole thing until I read your post above and saw the VDC reference again...
Ja, it is confusing. BMW changed to VDC to reflect the role of distribution beyond preparation. However, they are somewhat inconsistent in the application of the term. The newer more correct term is VDC. Their computer is obviously not as well informed as we are
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461296' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:17 AM
Chicago bound cars come through the VPC in New Jersey.

My car was dropped off on 9:00 am August 8. It was received at the terminal on August 13. It was loaded on the Faust on August 16. The ship sailed that same day. I actually made fine connections. The boat docks in NYC on August 30. I would love to have the car by September 10. We'll see.

The Faust was completed 4 or 5 months earlier in South Korea. It holds 8,000 cars and is the largest auto carrier in the world. That is a huge ship.
Just to clarify, I didn?t mean our cars as to whether they go thru the VDC in NJ. All POVs go through the VDC in NJ except for west coast cars. However, southern region and I believe central region cars (new cars in this case) might go through the SC VDC.

A year or so ago, BMW started sending cars from the NJ VDC to the SC VDC for further distribution to the regions that the SC VDC serves.

Hence my question as I vaguely recalled Central region cars went thru SC.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='461301' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:35 AM
Ja, it is confusing. BMW changed to VDC to reflect the role of distribution beyond preparation. However, they are somewhat inconsistent in the application of the term. The newer more correct term is VDC. Their computer is obviously not as well informed as we are
Gotcha.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' post='461174' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:05 PM
My Euro Delivery 550 sport arrives the port of entry in New York on August 30. When will it arrive at my dealership in suburban Chicago? Even though this is my third 5 er, I can hardly wait. I feel like Homer Simpson waiting for a donut.

+1 When my 550 reached port in New Jersey from Euro Delivery, I had the Aero Kit installed and I didn't see my car for another 3.5 weeks. I assume your aero kit was factory installed. Maybe you will save a week. But id estimate 2-3 weeks.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='461303' date='Aug 22 2007, 07:38 AM
Just to clarify, I didn?t mean our cars as to whether they go thru the VDC in NJ. All POVs go through the VDC in NJ except for west coast cars. However, southern region and I believe central region cars (new cars in this case) might go through the SC VDC.

A year or so ago, BMW started sending cars from the NJ VDC to the SC VDC for further distribution to the regions that the SC VDC serves.

Hence my question as I vaguely recalled Central region cars went thru SC.

So now an ED car bound for Chicago goes to NJ port, then to SC for distribution. Another 48 states and the car could visit the entire USA. I do not remember mine being transferred to SC, but that was last June (06) so who knows. I do know that normally, dealer stock central region cars would go thru the SC port directly.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

It's called VDC now. Here's a pic of my car at the VDC in Oxnard during the Oct 2005 tour. Now I just remembered both my MINI and the E60 has visited its delivery VDC.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='461321' date='Aug 22 2007, 10:09 AM
So now an ED car bound for Chicago goes to NJ port, then to SC for distribution. Another 48 states and the car could visit the entire USA. I do not remember mine being transferred to SC, but that was last June (06) so who knows. I do know that normally, dealer stock central region cars would go thru the SC port directly.
OK thanks that answers the question.

Quick Reply: At the New York Port of Entry on August 30