Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read other previous posts where the rf's were swapped for non-rf's. Anyone have any problems with that?

Maybe BMW can answer this question: Are the rims made differently for run-flat tires? Will the difference affect non-rf's?

First I've heard of this.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.

Interesting! Well I have the same wheels so I can see no problem in having 245/45/R17 tyres then which opens up some more options for you. I have an old 5 series book dated Feb 2004 and that gives the 122 wheels as the same tyres as mine 245/45.
The current booklet also has them the same as I just checked the BMW website.
Let us know what happens.

Thanks Paul
Old 01-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.

[SIZE=14]The rims are different. I saw a program on the TV and the rim has a band running around the centre of the inside of the rim which supports the centre of the tyre should it have a puncture. This is made of the same material as the wheel.

So instead of this U a runflat wheel has this UU if you get my drift.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Members

After 10K and a blowout I changed my Dunlops to Pirelli Nero M+S and they are far better than the Runflats.
They are cheaper, quieter, lighter, have better traction and are rated for longer tread life. These were recommended by TireRack and my independent BMW shop. I think a tire like the Bridge S-03 is overkill for this type of car IMO, save those for the Porsche.
The 124 rims are no different than regular rims, they look the same inside and the tire shop said so too. I did not ask the dealer about alternate tires as they are probably obliged to use the factory-listed tires at the usual high price.
BTW I think rotating the Runflats left to right every 5K will greatly reduce the noise which is caused by directional wear of the large tread blocks.
Also when one RunFlat blew out at 60 MPH in the rain I was able to maintain good control at speed. They aren't all bad actually.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

O.K - all new rubber now . See report on this forum:

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic....2325&highlight=
Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

First, I would call the people at Tirerack (www.tirerack.com). I don't believe the story about the rims only fitting runflats. They will tell you the real story.

As for the best tires I've ever had, they are the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. Wet and dry traction, handling, ride, noise, treadwear, they are by far the best of the many tires I've had over the years.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

I've just blown a rear tire. So it's time to dump the standard Goodyear eagles and get two new goodyear F1's back for them.
My tiredealer suggested swapping both rear tires for the F1's and fitting the new regular tires to the front. They saw no problem in fitting regular tires on my 124 rims. Just their idea of putting the f1's to the front seems a bit weird to me. We'll see.
Ordered them today and will get them next week
It's been discussed before but this is one BIG disadvantage of Runflats: You can't use you car untill the new tires arrive!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Jan 18 2005, 10:13 AM
As some people have already reported on other threads, I too am having to replace my Dunlop run-flats after 12,000 miles because of excessive wear.

Anyone in the UK out there who has had to do this? I don't drive too madly, although I do enjoy my car now and then. Is this sufficiently bad performance to get the dealers involved I wonder?

Next question is what to replace them with? I am tempted to go back to non run-flats for comfort reasons and the Dunlop SP 9000 seem to be favourite at the moment. Anyone tried these yet and any comments? Goodyear do a F1 EMT which are run flats - are they as hard a ride as the OEM Dunlops?

I have been recommended to try Falkens as they are supposed to be the db's, but how do you try a tyre? I either buy them or not!!

My priorities are - performance, comfort, durability and price in that order.
[snapback]80337[/snapback]

I have 124 wheels and the std tyres. I find the tyre roar to be very loud compared to my silent E39. The car has only done 15,800 miles and both front tyres are completly worn out on the inside edge. BMW pointed this out to me when I had it serviced but no gave explanation. The car has active steering???? The rear tyres have 3mm left which doesn't surprise me as the diesel has so much power available and I can't resist flooring it all the time.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

The rims for the BMW runflats are standard rims. (If they were different there would be a marking cast in the metal indicating that runflats only are allowed.)
The tire noise will be greatly reduced by rotating the tires left to right. The noise is due to angled wear or ramping of the large tread blocks. This is normal wear pattern and gets evened out by rotation.
I switched to Pirelli Zero-Nero M+S on my 545 and they are much quieter and less jarring than the Dunlop runflats. Way better mileage too.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

I have been leaning towards Michelin Pilot A/S (all season) as replacements for the run flats. I am willing to give up some dry road performance in exchange for the ability to keep the car on the road when there is a small accumulation of snow. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the Michelin Pilot A/S as a replacement for the run flats. If the Michelins aren't softer and quieter, I don't want them.

Quick Reply: New Tyres