Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

new purchase tomorrow- advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

In Canada, Sport Package has : Sport steering wheel, 18" run flats, sport suspension. Then we have the Dynamic Drive Package which has: Active Steering and dynamic stabilization. The active headlights are standard on 545.

I have all of the above but wish that I didn't get teh Sport package because:

1. in Toronto, roads are 95% flat and straight, the roads are getting worse in terms expansion joints and pot-holes. So I'd rather get more ride comfort.

2. I test drove with and without the sport package on the same route. The car without the sport pac could fly through (60km) a speed bump without upsetting me. (the sales guy suggested that I mustn't slow down for speed-bump just to test the suspension...good guy) Whereas on the car with da sport pac, I could really FEEL the speed bump and could hear the "thump"...not really to my liking.

3. For me, dynamic stabilization gives me what I need for charging in/out of highway on/off ramps and the odd twisty roads here.

Not withstanding the above, I still love the car as is... I just point where I want to go with the quick steering and just press the go padel and it goes...whether turning or going straight...no fuss !

I got the sport pac because I like the sport steering wheel and the lower stance... and dont want to do any retro-fitting. I just wanted to buy and drive

but as the other members of this board have mentioned, it's up to your own preference.

Sorry for typos ...I'm typing this in a hurry
Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Oh... I have Logic 7 (part of the premium package:comfort seats, ski bag, auto dimming mirrors etc) ... I wouldn't say it's a premium sound system. Perhaps my expectation was too high. I dont know how good/bad is the base sound system.

I didn't test drove either - so, you see car audio isn't that important to me

I must go.... this board is additive.

Wish you all the best with your new purchase....and whatever you choose, you'll be happy.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

I didn't order the Logic 7, but ended up getting it because I wanted the CD changer and that was $780 at the dealer, so another $1,000 made sense. I have the 6-speed manual, so a changer is a must have in my book. The dealer swapped the car I ordered for another one that came in with the same specs plus L7. I really love it. That is the first thing people comment on when they get in. The standard stereo was okay, but really no comparision.

Since I got a manual I had to get the sports, but I love it. My wife also complains about the bumpy ride, but she understands why it is bumpy. For MY 05 you can get the 6-speed manual without sports. Active steering is awesome. Makes the car so much more fun to drive at low speeds.

The sports seats are great. Very comfortable. My dealer suggested getting the comfort seats only if you are over 300 pounds.

And welcome the the forum...
Old 10-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 8 2004, 01:27 AM
wow guys... Aloha - you are right - the best forum yet... and I've been on forums a while now.

I would love to order an '05, but I am fortunate enough that BMW has really stood behind their name and is, in simplistic terms, swapping my x5 for the 545 (or 530, depending).? 545 is a go with about a $61,500 MSRP.. had too many problems with the X5.? way too many in 60 days.

I am very dissapointed I won't have Bluetooth on the 2004, and truly hope a retro will become avail very soon.? I will purchase the extra wood trim at the parts counter.

Logic7 seems to be a definite.? comfort seats are going to be tough, because I need dealer stock... so....I will go to dealer today, test drive a couple, and let you all know.

thanks so much.. truly, you guys are awesome! thanks for the welcomes!
[snapback]42495[/snapback]
good luck and please keep us posted .
Old 10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 8 2004, 03:36 AM
Sport pkg or NOT?

Comfort seats or sport?? are the sport seats on the e60 any different than they? ? were on the e39?

Logic7?? or is standard any good? I have premium sound now in the X5, and love it, much better than stock!
[snapback]42370[/snapback]
Welcome aboard, andy (wassy) Name:  post_2_1095714174.gif
Views: 12
Size:  3.1 KB!

IMHO:

Sport pkg = yes! The car feels great!
Comfort seats are the best I have ever seen in a car - let's say it this way: they are advanced sports seats, since they are more comfortable than the sports seats and have all the adjustments the sports seat has too...
L7 is the best stock sound system I've ever seen/heard in a car!

If you can, get all the above options! You'll love it!
Old 10-08-2004, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I say the sport package is great. The cornering makes my passengers chuckle in amazement at the way the thing sits flat in turns. I think it's just a riot to be able to punch through a turn like that. I drove a 530 without the sport and the 545 with, and I just wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I gave up the sport suspension and the engine.

BUT between the suspension and the runflats, it does communicate lots of imperfections in the road. It's tuned for beautiful, smooth German highways. It's fine with me to feel that, and Chicago is OK; but when I drove in Detroit, it frankly felt pretty jarring on those crappy highways. So if you are going to drive on lots of crappy, rutted, potholed roads, you will get to feel every bump.

For winter, I'll go from the standard low-profile, 18" 245Front/275Rrear setup on tires to all 225/50s on 17" wheels, still runflat, and I bet that will soften some of the jarring.

I brought a CD and sat in a car with and without the L7 package. I picked the L7, because even for that brief test, I could hear a great difference. I think it's pretty insulting that BMW doesn't even give you an equalizer in the base stereo, but they don't. I think you'll pick the good stereo.

If you get the sport suspension, you'll be looking for unsuspecting corners to dart around without braking.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

If you like gadgetry, the HUD is a must. I am regreting now for not getting it.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 AM

Ranking of the options that I ordered on my 545. 1. Sport package. 2. Logic 7. 3. Nav. with voice commands 4. PDC 5. HUD. 6. CWP. 7. Split folding rear seats. Some people rave about the comfort seats. For me the sport seats are wonderful. Sport Package is awesome. Logic 7 is the best car or audio system that I have experienced. Nav with HUD is a must for Euro Delievery. e60 is a great car.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Ranking of the options that I ordered on my 545. 1. Sport package. 2. Logic 7. 3. Nav. with voice commands 4. PDC 5. HUD. 6. CWP. 7. Split folding rear seats. Some people rave about the comfort seats. For me the sport seats are wonderful. Sport Package is awesome. Logic 7 is the best car or audio system that I have experienced. Nav with HUD is a must for Euro Delievery. e60 is a great car.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Ok, I am now getting anxious. I want to comment on all these forums, but my car is sitting on some stupid ship in the middle of the ocean.

This S*cks.

Quick Reply: new purchase tomorrow- advice needed