Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New Option Coming to the 5, 6 and 7 Series 4thQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High-Beam Assist:

With High-Beam Assist, available from fourth quarter 2005 in the BMW 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series, a camera sensor integrated in the rear mirror casing registers activity on the road and automatically controls the activation and deactivation of the high beam. The system identifies the headlights and rear lights of vehicles, as well as the surrounding road lighting.

The high beam switches on in the absence of vehicles on the road ahead or oncoming traffic, provided the road itself is not sufficiently illuminated. BMW is the first European premium manufacturer to offer such a system.

A scientific study in the US has shown that the high beam is used very rarely, although such use is possible and even desirable in many situations. High-Beam Assist makes a significant contribution to ensuring the high-beam is used more frequently. It also prevents other road users from being dazzled if the driver switches to low beam too late or not at all. At the same time it relieves the driver and increases comfort. All in all, High-Beam Assist increase driver safety immeasurably.

The high beam is automatically deactivated in the following situations:

In the case of oncoming traffic (including motorcycles). Here the system recognises the high or low beam of vehicles.
In the case of vehicles driving ahead. The red rear lights of vehicles are recognised.
In the case of sufficient street lighting, i.e. in built-up areas.
At low speeds, when driving with the high beam does not provide any increase in safety.
The system also analyses the brightness and light colour of the light source so as to imitate human use of the high beam as closely as possible. It is designed so that road users within a range of up to around 1000m are detected.

High-Beam Assist does not require additional switches or operating elements. It is activated by means of the light control unit by putting the rotational knob on automatic (same position as for the activation of the light sensor for automatic control of the low beam). In addition, the direction indicator lever must be pushed towards high beam, if currently on low beam. A control lamp in the instrument panel indicates that High-Beam Assist is activated.

DZ
Old 07-14-2005, 11:07 PM
MEX
Senior Members

WOW, that is cool, too bad that it doesnt sound like a retrofit item.
Oh well, that's another reason for upgrading to a new 550

tnx
Old 07-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Hope it works better than the Cadillac system that was out in the 80's. It seemed easy to get confused in questionable situations.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Yeah, my mom's Lincoln in the 80's had it too and it was also confused too many times. Seems strange that it's taken this long to be re-introduced. Maybe the new Logic 7 8-Track player is also coming soon.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:16 AM
Hope it works better than the Cadillac system that was out in the 80's.? It seemed easy to get confused in questionable situations.
[snapback]149315[/snapback]
Old 07-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Contributors

This is a cool feature, but bound to have malfunctions. If the system does have issues, it could be quite hazardous.

With the current lights, I'd just like them aimed a bit higher and they'd be great.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 555' date='Jul 15 2005, 03:19 AM
Yeah, my mom's Lincoln in the 80's had it too and it was also confused too many times.? Seems strange that it's taken this long to be re-introduced.? Maybe the new Logic 7? 8-Track player is also coming soon.?

[quote name='jsal' date='Jul 15 2005, 01:16 AM']Hope it works better than the Cadillac system that was out in the 80's.? It seemed easy to get confused in questionable situations.
[snapback]149315[/snapback]
[snapback]149316[/snapback]
[/quote]

That'll be cool. I have tons of old 8 rtacks in the attic collecting dust : )
Old 07-15-2005, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Whatever next - indicators that flick on automatically if they sense a change in steering wheel movement of more than a certain degree? This sounds like using technology as a gimmick to me. If people cannot flick headlights from low beam to high beam by themselves based upon reading the road ahead, should they really be allowed to drive?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Jul 15 2005, 07:16 AM
If people cannot flick headlights from low beam to high beam by themselves based upon reading the road ahead, should they really be allowed to drive?
[snapback]149348[/snapback]
You must not have spent too much time driving in the US...
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Senior Members

Rudy,

I have driven in the US and I'm not surprised that gimmicks like this are being thought up for "assisting" less able drivers there. I regret to say that drivers over here are becoming a bit like that too. Citroen have a system called lane assist which alerts the driver if they wander off course. It is supposed to tackle drivers who are tired. Whatever happened to common sense and stopping for a rest?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Jul 15 2005, 07:34 AM
Rudy,

I have driven in the US and I'm not surprised that gimmicks like this are being thought up for "assisting" less able drivers there. I regret to say that drivers over here are becoming a bit like that too. Citroen have a system called lane assist which alerts the driver if they wander off course. It is supposed to tackle drivers who are tired. Whatever happened to common sense and stopping for a rest?
[snapback]149353[/snapback]
I completely agree with you -- the lack of common sense as well as driving skills is a huge problem over here. I like the idea of the automatic dimming lights (if they work better than the 1970s Cadillacs) because I'll benefit when someone elses car dims automatically and stops blinding me...

Quick Reply: New Option Coming to the 5, 6 and 7 Series 4thQ