Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New MP3 Service Bulletin & CD/CDC Mute Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Geo
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

I just dropped off my car for service this morning. Good thing that I had the notice on the MP3 resolution ... my service advisor knew nothing about the MP3 capablity -- he thought I was talking about the aux jack. He took the notice and said that he would pass it to a technician.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Members

My car has no navigation so this update is only available to users who have navigation? Why won't the CD player without navigation play MP3s?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My understanding, here in South Africa, is that older MASK cars (those without navigation) have a radio/cd player that will not play MP3's.

So there is both a hardware and a software aspect. To get an older car with MASK to play MP3, you will need a new MP3 compatable radio as well as an upgrade to CIP20.

I am working on this right now and will let the board know if I manage to get it right.

Streak
Old 01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by streak' post='228390' date='Jan 23 2006, 03:26 PM
My understanding, here in South Africa, is that older MASK cars (those without navigation) have a radio/cd player that will not play MP3's.

So there is both a hardware and a software aspect. To get an older car with MASK to play MP3, you will need a new MP3 compatable radio as well as an upgrade to CIP20.

I am working on this right now and will let the board know if I manage to get it right.

Streak
I believe you are correct. There is a Service bulletin (BMWNA) with that data as an PDF attachment which I thought I posted some time back. They just updated the bulletin this month and said "in the attached" but did not put a link to the attachment in it. If they do I'll post that one as well. But all my data is NA only and probably does not apply to ROW as I have seen to many variations in non-NA locations.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

I recently had mp3 capability added following a software upgrade. My dealer advised me that they also changed the instrument cluster as they claimed that the software would not load unless they did so. A couple of questions.

Is the instrment cluster likely to contain the ccc or other idrive hardware?

Could it be that i could just have had the retro mp3 software and not the full cip20 upgrade. I ask because i still have a few problems with my idrive boot time, 15 seconds from cold, and varying contrast levels of the screen.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='228390' date='Jan 23 2006, 02:26 PM

Streak
Hi Streak,

I have one of the first 2004 E60 with M(ASK) as well... please let me know what you find. I would like to upgrade if possible.

VIN: B173342
Production Date: 9/03
Old 02-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Members

Thanks for the bulletin!

Is this warranty valid for cars sold in Europe as well, or is this a specific US warranty?

I'm very interested since my car is built between march and sept 2005, and should therefore fall under the warranty as described in the bulletin.

I've talked to the local BMW service, but they told me there are no warranty on the lack of Mp3 compability.
Of course there is the possibility that they have been missinformed.

Any European BMW owners who has received the warranty upgrade for MP3 compability???
Old 02-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='235591' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the bulletin!

Is this warranty valid for cars sold in Europe as well, or is this a specific US warranty?

I'm very interested since my car is built between march and sept 2005, and should therefore fall under the warranty as described in the bulletin.

I've talked to the local BMW service, but they told me there are no warranty on the lack of Mp3 compability.

Any European BMW owners who has received the warranty upgrade for MP3 compability???
I would think the "technical" details are the same, but warranty is probably country specific.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='235591' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the bulletin!

On the warranty question there seems to be a degree of variation here - there's another thread on this specific question - see http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=21749. It would be interesting to collect futher input on this from EU members as it is not clear what BMW's policy is.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Members

After a few discussion rounds with my dealer and after sending the before mentioned bulltin I am now getting a free upgrade.

New CIP version with MP3 enabled, and all that thanks to you guys.

Quick Reply: New MP3 Service Bulletin & CD/CDC Mute Bulletin