Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Is my (UK) Dealer Correct about BMW Offers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: May 2009 BMW 535d M-Sport Touring in Carbon Black.

Hi guys, just wanted to run this past you to make sure my dealer isn't confused.

I'm thinking about a 535d and I need a new car in May. I understand that delivery timescale for a new car is about 12 weeks and so I went to my dealer yesterday to see what deal could be done.

Discussions were going well and I saw that BMW are doing a fairly generous deposit contribution as part of their Q1 2009 'Offers' which is great.

However the dealer explained that the offers you get depend on delivery date rather than order date. So if I order today the 12 weeks for delivery pushes me into the Q2 'offers' which the dealer doesn't know yet.

As a result he said I should come back on April 1st to see what the Q2 offers are before I commit.

I can't see how this is an incentive to the customer. If I signed an order today the amount it'll cost me will depend on whatever is in the Q2 offers, it might be better, it might be worse, how can I be expected to commit to a price I don't know?

Also, if I order on April 1st and the car takes longer than 3 months am I then exposed to whatever changes in offers come up in Q3?

This seems very strange to me, is my dealer confused or is this standard practice?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

id phone BMW GB in bracknell to confirm what he has said.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by westside' post='796541' date='Feb 19 2009, 09:42 AM
id phone BMW GB in bracknell to confirm what he has said.
Okay, is the number easy to find? I might just try another dealer.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Members

I'd say he's trying to get you to buy one now...I'd never sign up for anything that expensive unless I knew exactly what it would be costing me...

On the other hand, if you are buying one with your on cash, I'd wait until late April and then get them to find you a decently spec'd ex-management car. You'll save at least ?10k!

Mine was listed at ?41k, managed to get it, with only 4000 miles on the clock (not an ex-demo) for ?29k! Why buy new?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='796560' date='Feb 19 2009, 11:21 AM
I'd say he's trying to get you to buy one now...I'd never sign up for anything that expensive unless I knew exactly what it would be costing me...

On the other hand, if you are buying one with your on cash, I'd wait until late April and then get them to find you a decently spec'd ex-management car. You'll save at least ?10k!

Mine was listed at ?41k, managed to get it, with only 4000 miles on the clock (not an ex-demo) for ?29k! Why buy new?
TBH I think we was trying to make we wait until April/Q2 for some reason. He gave me some brochures and said he'd be in touch late next month. All very strange. One thought was that Q1 sales figures are going to be bad anyway so he's trying to lump everything into Q2...

Quite keen to get a new one because a) the improvements on an '09 seem to be worth having and b) if I'm paying this much I want my perfect spec and most of the used/ex-demo cars I've seen have leather, media and visibility and nothing more. I'm planning to keep the car for a long time so I'm not too flexible on spec.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

From what you've said, I would go to another Dealer anyway (Or someone like Broadspeed for the discount on an ideal spec for you - quite a few Internet Dealers will also give you discount on the extra's as well as the car - and that can mount up!).
In this climate, any Dealer should be grasping Customers like you and not letting them out of the showroom without a commitment to buy! Do you think the "April 1st" thing was him not taking you seriously??? It's my experience with Dealers that they don't take a lot of customers seriously, particularly if the prospective customer doesn't look like a "well-to-do Business Suit".
Go elsewhere as Dealerships do vary a lot in service and attitude.

Mike
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='796575' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:37 PM
From what you've said, I would go to another Dealer anyway (Or someone like Broadspeed for the discount on an ideal spec for you - quite a few Internet Dealers will also give you discount on the extra's as well as the car - and that can mount up!).
In this climate, any Dealer should be grasping Customers like you and not letting them out of the showroom without a commitment to buy! Do you think the "April 1st" thing was him not taking you seriously??? It's my experience with Dealers that they don't take a lot of customers seriously, particularly if the prospective customer doesn't look like a "well-to-do Business Suit".
Go elsewhere as Dealerships do vary a lot in service and attitude.

Mike
Well I've just come back from the dealer near my office with a really good quote to consider which guarantees the benefits of the BMW offer. Given spousal approval I'll probably sign later this afternoon.