Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My dealer is hounding me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='802443' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:46 PM
Says he has customers wanting clean '06-'07 e60s and would make me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade up for a 535 or a 550! That's awfully tempting because he knows I am missing the power of a V-8! But, I only have 26,000 miles on my '07 530xi ... it's loaded and clean. Plus I just put the new wheels and tires and SB. I don't know if I can get enough money out of it to justify gaining (just) 2 model years at this time.

But I may wander over to his store next week to see how serious he is about "making me an offer I can't refuse"! That said, cash is a little tight this year - I have to pay for a NYC wedding in May [daughters getting wed] and that's a bit of a drain on the free cash at the moment. No bailouts coming my way this month!

Any thoughts - have any of you been getting similar offers from your dealers?
I'm sure he just wants YOUR car in particular! And if you believe that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you! It's just a sales gimmick!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xit 1999 323is 1989 325i 1959 Morris Mini

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='802452' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:53 PM
While I've never had such a "direct" offer from a dealership (phone call from my sales guy), I suspect it's just a way for them to drum up business. I mean, really. Look on bwusa.com at the CPO inventory. There's certainly no shortage of your car in the CPO market.

I remember last year I got a letter from a local dealership that had done some work for me a while back. "Demand for your 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix is at an all-time high! We'll give you the highest value possible for your trade in when you purchase a new car from us!"

That said, if he really IS willing to "make you a deal you can't refuse", it certainly can't hurt to look. Dealerships are hurting just as bad as every other business in this economy, and they'll take what they can get (figuratively, of course).
exx1976 nailed it! This is exactly what dealerships are doing (phone calls & letters) to get existing customers to step back in the door. Fancy the customer w/ cool new cars and that "new" car smell and hope for an impulsive buyer.

I'm sure buyers are not necessarily just looking at dealerships for pre-owned cars... you can always sell the car privately for more money, then to trade it in to a dealer.

Good luck,
Pat
Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='802443' date='Feb 26 2009, 04:46 PM
Says he has customers wanting clean '06-'07 e60s and would make me an offer I couldn't refuse to trade up for a 535 or a 550! That's awfully tempting because he knows I am missing the power of a V-8! But, I only have 26,000 miles on my '07 530xi ... it's loaded and clean. Plus I just put the new wheels and tires and SB. I don't know if I can get enough money out of it to justify gaining (just) 2 model years at this time.

But I may wander over to his store next week to see how serious he is about "making me an offer I can't refuse"! That said, cash is a little tight this year - I have to pay for a NYC wedding in May [daughters getting wed] and that's a bit of a drain on the free cash at the moment. No bailouts coming my way this month!

ALL HE`S DOING IS trying to get you to the store to drum up buisness. i do the same.. let me guess he told you that your car is very hard to get at auction on trades its in high demand. and we at bmw are willing to give alot more for you car right now.... at the end of the day your car is what it is, unless they have some crazy rebate. even if there is a rebate he`ll just try and charge more for the new one and make up the difference in your trade... all dealers buy whole sale. we as owners of bmw`s always look for retail on or cars... people dont fall pray to the stealership ways.. i should know i manage one
Old 02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by uwptap' post='802532' date='Feb 26 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm sure buyers are not necessarily just looking at dealerships for pre-owned cars... you can always sell the car privately for more money, then to trade it in to a dealer.
That might be true but today's news (from multiple sources) specifically talks about the higher demand for certified pre-owned cars. In this economy, my guess is that people aren't willing to take as much of a risk with a non-certified car. A CPO may cost a bit more but it makes the buyer more comfortable that they won't be spending any unexpected dollars too soon down the road...
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='802527' date='Feb 26 2009, 06:42 PM
I'm sure he just wants YOUR car in particular! And if you believe that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you! It's just a sales gimmick!
Actually he does ...and you're too late on that bridge deal! I bought two yesterday while you were snoozing

That said, the GM for the dealership has never wasted my time because I've been a long-term customer and a source of referrals to this particular store during the past 20+ years. He knows that I have been thinking about going back to a V-8. We discussed it when I stopped in a few weeks ago. And, it's not one of his sales reps calling, it's him.

As for haggling over a deal - I don't do that either. My time is far too valuable and I, like many of us, work hard for my money. There's no free lunch I know what my current e60 is worth to me and how much disposable cash I would be willing to part with to replace it.

My primary curiosity is how the changes to next 5 series models will work for me? If I'm only gaining minor tweaks now I'd be more likely to wait for the 2011 model. I can wait it out - the good thing is I don't need a new car now. On the otherhand, my wants might get the best of me!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwptap' post='802532' date='Feb 26 2009, 06:49 PM
exx1976 nailed it! This is exactly what dealerships are doing (phone calls & letters) to get existing customers to step back in the door. Fancy the customer w/ cool new cars and that "new" car smell and hope for an impulsive buyer.

Good luck,
Pat
In NJ there are (minor) financial benefits to trade a car than to sell it outright. IF all things were equal, selling a car outright requires that new buyer paying sales tax on the purchase price. When I take the cash realized from the sale to apply it to a new car purchase I would have to pay the sales tax on the full purchase price. I also wouldn't have to go through the hassle of a private sale ... collecting the money, dealing with a contract and a customer who buys a used car and then wonders why it isn't NEW ... etc etc etc.

For now this is all hypothetical ... not ready to buy but ready to think!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

i'll call him and tell him to back off. he'll listen to bruce lee roy.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='803039' date='Feb 27 2009, 11:20 AM
i'll call him and tell him to back off. he'll listen to bruce lee roy.

Hey "C" - I didn't think you could jump that high But you call him ... he'll listen!