Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My car needs a service - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My car (535d LCI version) is due it's first service and after reading so many HORROR stories about different dealers and I am scared stiff to take it anywhere! I live in Surrey, UK but am willing to travel further (hampshire, middx, London, Sussex, Kent) to get it done by somewhere decent. Can anyone please recommend a decent place (it has to be somewhere where they would do other bits and pieces that need doing under warrenty)?

Likewise, if you know of somewere to steer well clear of then please let me know!!

Please help!

Thanks Guys
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Members

Jounia,

Have you tried Barons of Hindhead, I have always used them and never had any problems.

phil
Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

just took mine to dick lovett to see if they would replace a faulty head light (leaking so all chrome has corded)
but they said this is not covered?????? even though its a part failure????

new part is ?1000
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by phil79' post='809967' date='Mar 7 2009, 06:11 AM
Jounia,

Have you tried Barons of Hindhead, I have always used them and never had any problems.

phil
also barons of farnborough (same firm)
Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by russdx' post='809974' date='Mar 7 2009, 07:40 AM
just took mine to dick lovett to see if they would replace a faulty head light (leaking so all chrome has corded)
but they said this is not covered?????? even though its a part failure????

new part is ?1000

ebay ?150.ish.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

i had a look on ebay couldn't find one that looks like mine
Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

I think almost all dealers will be pretty much useless. Its pot luck with them. I took my car to a dealer and insisted the car not be washed. He wrote it on the job card, attached my note which stated not to wash the car in capital letters and guess what. Yup, the fools washed it and left a scratch on the door.

Just take it where its easy for you and then keep fingers crossed or pray.

cheers
Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I can only post my experience of dealers so far after having the car 14 months or so. I bought my car from Barons Hindhead but withing two weeks found the headlights had misting issues so took it to my local dealer at the time that was Stratstone Windsor who after some chatting too replaced the headlights. They then closed down so my next local dealer was Sytner Sunningdale(service department based in Ascot), the car been back a few times to them for warranty work and it always has been returned fixed although not valeted. This weekend I have had it serviced by them, I did get them to price match BMW Berry Uxbridge for an oil and brake fluid service which Ascot wanted ?339 for when Berry would do it or ?260. They are also now fixing some problems im now having with the car under warranty. To sum it up im more than happy with Synter although if you dont price match they will take the pee out of you. Excellent service though.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='810315' date='Mar 8 2009, 01:02 AM
I can only post my experience of dealers so far after having the car 14 months or so. I bought my car from Barons Hindhead but withing two weeks found the headlights had misting issues so took it to my local dealer at the time that was Stratstone Windsor who after some chatting too replaced the headlights. They then closed down so my next local dealer was Sytner Sunningdale(service department based in Ascot), the car been back a few times to them for warranty work and it always has been returned fixed although not valeted. This weekend I have had it serviced by them, I did get them to price match BMW Berry Uxbridge for an oil and brake fluid service which Ascot wanted ?339 for when Berry would do it or ?260. They are also now fixing some problems im now having with the car under warranty. To sum it up im more than happy with Synter although if you dont price match they will take the pee out of you. Excellent service though.
I dont know where these ppl get off. I HATE dealers - they cheating sly )$%*$)'s

I took my car into Sytner Sunningdale (SL5 9EE) and waited for about 8 hours just to get my steering wheels creek looked at. It was booked in and so I wasnt expecting more than 2-3 hours. They said they had other cars to see before mine hence the delay.

Im not sure how much they charged as the warranty was paying for it at the time but I think the bill came to around ?350 for just lubing the streering rack and doing a diagnostics.

One tyre had a small cut in it and they quoted me around ?700 to replace it ... ?700 !!! I went down to my mates shop who does tyres for a living and he sorted me out a second hand (but v good condition) RUN FLAT for ?20 ... thats a ?680 saving. These stealers really are daylight robbers!

As the cars out of warranty, I plan to do jobs like brake fluid , brakes, oils etc myself. I did it in my last car (VW) so to save some scrilla, I will have to do it here.

Keeping well away from dealers if I can help it ! If you really need to go, DO NOT go to the one in Uxbridge or the one in Ascot ... I have hear farnorough one is not bad.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

are independent dealers as bad?

Quick Reply: My car needs a service - please help!